UPDATE on Spirit. Kidding Imminent! PHOTOS! Place your bets.

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by firelight27, Jun 30, 2009.

1. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Spirit's udder had been very slowly enlarging over the past few weeks. I have been checking on her daily. Last night her ligaments were very strong. This evening they are completely gone, and her udders have gotten immense in only a couple of days. I have seen no mucous discharge, and she doesn't have a very pronounced "dropped" look in the belly, but the udders and lack of ligs are there. She also has not gone posty in her rear legs and she is eating normally.

I'll post a few photos in a little bit.

UPDATE: Pictures

[​IMG]
    Don't know of a picture of this helps at this point, but here it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any bets? I can still feel movement of the kids, so I don't think she'll go tonight. Plus, she is still eating normally/behaving normal as of a half hour ago.

Also, how many kids do you think? She is a Nigerian Dwarf. Just a little bigger than a pygmy, maybe not even any bigger, she is pretty small.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: UPDATE on Spirit. Kidding Imminent!

well thats exciting :)

3. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Re: UPDATE on Spirit. Kidding Imminent!

How exciting!! :dance: Hope it's soon and it's unassisted. :pray:

Keep us updated! :greengrin:

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would say you have a bit more time. Her bag is not tight enough and her rear is not at all loose ans swollen.
    I say the 14th of July. :shrug: I am not ever close so manybe she will go a lot sooner then that.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    looks to have a little bit left to go -- but if her ligaments are truly gone and mushy then she could go at any time.

usualy a couple hours before kidding I cant feel kids moving anymore. But that isnt always true - kind of depends on how many kiddos are in there.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'll say twins, and she hasn't dropped yet, her udder has gotten bigger but it will get even bigger. Ligs tend to soften usually a week before but her tailhead will be very pronounced when they disappear. I will say she has at minimum a week.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree.... she needs a little more time....her udder isn't real tight yet.... :wink: :greengrin:

8. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Well, she went early then, because she has a beautiful little tan/black doeling on the ground as of 12:00 p.m. today (so a half hour ago). I can't tell if there is another one in there. It seems to me like there should be. She has been fussing with the doeling, but seems to have been minimally pushing once ever couple of minutes. The first kid is finally sleeping after having a meal, and now Spirit seems to be pushing once every minute. How long generally between kids? Can't feel anything in the birth canal. I'll post photos once everything is done and over. :)

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!

She really did fool us all!

Generally if there is more than one kid the second one is born anywhere between 5-30 minutes from the first, her little pushes could be her contracting to deliver the afterbirth.....which you should see that hanging from her now.

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH MY GOODNESS. I told you I was horrible at guessing. But man, I would never of thought today.

CONGRATULATIONS. We want pictures.

I would go into her and see if there are more babies.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    well I'll be darn... :greengrin: ...I can't believe ...that she kidded now....someone pinch me...LOL :doh: :shocked:

Congrats... :leap:

If she is contracting... squatting.. as if ....she is trying to urinate and her placenta is hanging ...then she is trying to drop her placenta....and should be done.. :wink:

12. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    :ROFL: That right there is why I try not to make predictions!

Congrats!

13. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Congrats! We really do need to see pictures. :)

14. ecologystudent

ecologystudent New Member

May 29, 2009
    Lacey, wa
    Can't wait to see those babies...I'm such a sucker for baby goats.

15. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Only one kid. Placenta passed uneventfully. I did the bounce test, and felt in the birth canal to make sure there were no other kids anywhere. I'm glad for one though as it'll be easier to learn with a single baby! Photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (They don't actually live on those rocks. I just took her out and set her there for the photo before putting her back with mom.)

[​IMG]

Don't know a name yet. I haven't the slightest clue what to call her really. I'm glad she is not pure white like her mom!

16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    OMG! She's gorgeous!!!! Congrats again.

Her color looks similar to an Alpine!
    The only thing you'll be needing to worry about with a single is that Spirit may need some help with keeping her udder empty...babies tend to nurse one side so look for mom to get engorged on the un used side.

17. ecologystudent

ecologystudent New Member

May 29, 2009
    Lacey, wa
    What a gorgeous little girl!

18. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    If she has trouble keeping her udders down I'll definitely milk the excess. I've been dying to try some Nig. Dwarf milk. Heard allot of great things about it. Any name ideas? Something about having color... I thought about Twilight at first for some reason, but then I remember that dumb movie came out recently and I hate all the pre-teen obsession going around related to it.

19. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Congrats!! :stars: She is pretty!! :love:

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh she is beautiful! congrats

I am terrible with names.

here are names I have used in the past

Gretchen, Maggie, Tilly, Emily, Molly, Athena, marigold, Jewel, Destiny, Mia, Aspen, Misty, Flicka, Kari, Minute, Cadence, Kitten...

Out of those I like Destiny and Jewel for your new girl