Update - they're here and hubby doesn't know yet!!!

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by kelebek, Nov 29, 2007.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    The previous owner said they were Pygmy, but I have never seen a pygmy this tall before.

I really wish that the white one or actually either of them was not wethered. Since I have the two pygmy does now - they are just way to adorable. I can tell I am going to have a hard time wethering my babies when they are born!

2. Sara

Sara Guest

Oct 4, 2007
    They definetly aren't full Pygmy. =) Cute though Allison!

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Mystic's Mom -

He does not want anymore, because HE feels that he has not got everything done the way that HE wants it with the barn.

He doesn't pay for anything to do with my animals. I have 15 acres - which consists of 2 - 4 acre pens. But right now I can only use 1 because the other one does not have a shelter on it.

My husband is a BIG procrastinator! If I do not push him, he will not get up and do anything, so if I do it myself, or start to then he will get up and help.

Yet, he goes and buys "garbage" all the time for himself or his kids.

My children do not live with us, only his, and like I explained to him the other day - is that he is constantly giving money to his kids to do this or that or buying them whatever - well the goats are my kids and they fill a hole that I am missing with not having my kids with me.

I had 9 goats - but have sold one and took in two - so really I have 10 of mine and housing one for a "certain someone".

He is happy though, as I sold one Thursday, I have a waitlist of 5 for babies, and I have studded out one for a fee - so now that he sees that I will part with some - he is doing better.

Don't let me hubby fool you though, when he thinks no one is looking, he out there petting them, playing with them, or giving them treats.

4. goat fever

goat fever Guest

Oct 17, 2007
    Kelebek,

This whole thread has made me laugh. Will he notice or will he not. Sounds like something I would do. But since I only have three goats right now. I am sure he would notice. We plan on breeding my son's doe in April. And I hope to keep a doe if she has one. The other two I have are wethers and they are never, never, never did I say never leaving my place. I can't do that behinds my hubby's back or he might make us sell the doe. It was really hard for him, just to let me get the goats. He is coming around, slowly but surely. He doesn't have to love them, he just needs to except that I do. He did mention tonight at dinner that since I have had the goats I have been much more pleasant and less stubborn. I think that was a back handed compliment thought.

5. cute kids

cute kids Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    goat fever--you are all set now--'just think, dear, how much more pleasant i will be with X more,,,'. way to go.

kelebek--they are so cute--enjoy. cuddlr with the goats in the barn if they are all fluffy like mine :lol: :lol:

this thread has me laughing, too. we once had a donkey foal for about three weeks before hubby noticed (the two-legged kids were mum). he came around to a 'well, as long as thre is room in the barn...'. heehee
    you all have no idea how great it is to discover that i am actually NORMAL---at least when among you!!!!
    what is the name of the book??

6. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    Isn't that funny. My husband is the one always wanting more goats and I'm telling him no. Now if they are minis, I can't resist. I knew he'd never buy himself a fainter so I surprised him with a wether..a pet for him. And I have a pygmy pet, Lucy. He loves her to death but tells her she has to earn her keep (making babies).

We had a HIGE pygmy doe once. She was as tall as our short boers. Long, too, but all pygmy.

7. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    Perhaps, then, you should find out how he wants the barn done, then tell ask him when he plans on having it done; and tell him if he doesn't get it done in that time frame you'll find someone else to do it. Then, if he is still unhappy about how many animals you have, he has no 'excuse' to complain...that is if the barn really is his true reason...

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    He just likes to use excuses.

I have been after him about the buck pen since August - yet now he is saying Spring. So we will see.

I am not worried, as there is NO more animals coming up except the babies, which he is excited about as he is out there prepping the stalls and making sure heat lights are there and in place.

He is a control freak. He only likes things when he does them.

But it has been good, as he has seen that I am selling the babies and he now knows that I am not keeping everything so he has been doing alot better.

I figure my whole life I have done for everyone else with wanting nothing in return, so now it is my turn to enjoy my life and what creatures are in it.

When we first got to gether we talked about wanting to live in the country and having animals and he was all about it. I just think that he really thought that it would never happen. Or if it did it would be in a long time, as I am working on my Bachelors degree right now. Along with working, having a family, and the animals.

I understand your concern - but just know - he really would not make me sleep in the barn - he wouldn't be able to sleep without me in bed next to him! In 3 1/2 years we have only spent 3 nights apart!

9. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    Did he notice them, yet????? (Fingers crossed for a happy ending!)

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Nope not yet - or if he has - he has not said anything - Woo Hoo! They are here to stay now!

They are such sweethearts, but the cria got mad at them last night and coughed nasty smelly stuff at them - LOL! They just don't know the feeding ritual yet! LOL

11. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    it might be a long time before he notices. We brought a doe home in may and put her in the kid pen. He still haasn't figured out we brought her home.

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    LOL! That is great harmony! I am so glad that we all pull the same stuff on our significant others!

I personally think that they know they are there - but it is to late to say something - so they just go with it!

13. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    I was so happy to read this thread and find out I too am "normal". I have "snuck" in some animals. And until he finds out I just pull the " I told you but you must not have been listening". story. He buys it every time. The rabbits weren't so hard as he rarely goes into the rabbitry and when he does he doesn't pay attention. But the polish chickens he noticed pretty quickly.
    As for your goats. I have a pure pygmy wether thats about 14 years old and hes almost as big as my 2 boer does. Luckily hes wethered. I know some people try to breed them bigger, not understanding that a pygmy is supposed to be short.

14. Sara

Sara Guest

Oct 4, 2007
    Your cria didn't cough, when they "spit" they empty the contents of their rumen.

YEUUUUCHHHH!!!!

=D

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I can't volunteer at the local animal shelter for this reason. I fall in love with everything and bring them home. Im a sucker...and my family knows it. I just had a 4-h kid of mine call me and she said she has to get out of the goat progect for awhile, so of course i said yes and took in two more! she had four but i was able to contact the goat superintendent and convince her to take two of them as well.....
    I just always have to convince my dad that one goat or another is leaving to make room for the new goat...which isn;t always the case.
    beth

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I was really wanting to "believe" it was a cough that the cria did - LOL!

Sparks - that is how I am doing it also - by selling off a couple to make room for these two. Although I have only sold one so far, but I think it will be ok - cause they are wethered. No smell - no babies!

17. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Allison, I do so know how the " don't you remember me telling you about...." goes. My hubby has "selective hearing" on ALOT of different things, not just my critters! Working 9 hours a day with 1-2 days off per week, I have all I can handle and enjoy...he knows that when it starts to become work and not enjoyment it's time to downsize. That was the agreement we had. Besides, there are times that my goats are my escape from him!! We put an intercom in the new addition so that we would have a way to communicate in the case I would need him.....now I think it's a bad idea as when he knows I'm up there..and usually busy..he seems to need this , that and the other!! He always jokingly tells me I will be sleeping with the goats, it's just something we say to each other....never meaning it. I'm sure your hubby is the same way...most men are! Mine procrastinates all the time...he should have gotten tires on my car a month ago...but no, first real snow of the year and I couldn't make the hill...he had to drive me to work!! Well now provided he can get my car out tomorrow, he has an appointment when he gets off work for tires!!

Your Cria spitting on the new goat is funny! I think I'd rather get hit by another goat than to get spit on by a Llama!! LOL.

18. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Yah, my hubby won't literally kick me into the barn - but he likes to joke with me. I am fixin to post his latest comment that he just sent to me here at work - it is FUNNY!

In regards to procrastination - We moved to our land on Aug 1st. Everyone that has been to our place was real concerned about us and getting up our hill also. He has a poopy little Plymouth Breeze and I have a Jeep Wrangler - anyway, his car has a hard time pulling the hill when it is nice out.

He kept talking about a new car and talking but never did it. First snow - he slides all over then decided to get studs. Still whining about getting a new car.

So this past weekend, we got alot of snow and I had to tow him up our hill..... mind you I was laughing the whole way!

He stated Sunday - "hmmm, guess me and the kids will be staying home tommorrow since you are the only one who can drive" I quickly fixed that and said he could take the Jeep with the kids, and I will take a day of leave - there was no comment - LOL!

19. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I dont' know how I missed this thread :D This is just a hoot! lol
    My dad usually notices if there's a new goat, but if we bring a goat home he never knows what to expect. Like one time he thought we were bringing home a little Saanen doeling and when we came home with a 250lb doe in the backseat of our tiny Sentra he was pretty, umm, suprised isn't the right word but it fits :D Mom and I thought it was funny but dad didn't, her head was sticking out the window coming down the road :D

20. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh goat happy - that is just to much - the mental image is priceless!

I could only imagine if I pulled up in my Jeep wrangler with the top off and a goat tied in the back!