The Goat Spot Forum banner

Update - they're here and hubby doesn't know yet!!!

5K views 65 replies 22 participants last post by  FarmGirl18 
#1 ·
Well,

I was told that if I brought another *@&^$ animal to the farm that isn't born there I was to go sleep in the barn with them and that was it.

well.... guess I will be sleeping in the barn. About 2 months ago, a co-worker was talking to me about a friend of hers who had 2 pygmy goats that they needed to find a home for. Me, being the big hearted person that I am, said that I would take them, as I only had 5 goats and the 2 llamas in the pen at that time.

Well, I now have 9 goats with babies on the way, and wouldn't you know - he calls me today - and says he would like to bring them up to me on Saturday. They are 2 wethers (thank god) and are about 9 years old. Nice thing is is that he is bringing hay with them for winter, but I know hubby is going to go balistic on me!

Darn it - why do I have to be SOOOO nice????

So, I guess that I will be putting some others up for sale - there is really only 1 that I want to sell, but I will have to probobly have to get rid of more.

Worst part is is that he was telling me that I had to get rid of the cat - and someone emailed me last night asking if I still had him, cause they wanted him, and hubby said that I could keep him - ut - oh!

I am going to go hide now!! LOL!

See less See more
#5 ·
well, seemings how they are being delivered on Saturday - unfortunately I can not "sneak" them in like I usually do LOL!

I have posted one of my wethers for sale, and I am wanting to sell a couple of my others also - but I am unsure if they are prego or not. But I really want at least one of them gone also. I just really do not get along with her personality.

So I just got off the phone with my hubby. I told him there is a guy coming up to deliver some hay on Saturday cause he gave away his animals and so he is bringing us the hay. He didn't ask we were getting the hay which I was supprised at.

I DID NOT tell him that there are 2 goats in the deal....

I did mention that the guy knows of some rott pups (we have an old rott) for sale, and that I told the guy that we would pass. My husband replied that if the next animal up there was not food - he was listing me on Craigslist for sale - LOL!
I'm screwed!

#6 ·
Stacey -

He should have known. I have been a vet nurse for 7 years.

When we met we had 1 dog each (I had just moved here) then we had 4 dogs 2 cats 2 rats and 2 kids within a year. And 2 of the dogs could never be around each other as they would fight.

This was in the city -

Now on a farm - you would think he would know! LOL!

#7 ·
he he he!!!! I'm sorry but you are making me laugh and I needed that!!!!
you had better get you an electric blanket for the barn, cuz it's going to get cold. When I got married I came with 1 horse. since then I have collected horses, chickens, ducks, cows, goats and fish!!! I will bring home just about anything! So my hubby had to go from only having dogs to having a farm. At least he was very understanding when I brought home the blind crippled calf. He has a soft spot for the underdog!!!

And what was that he said about an animal being for food. People eat goats. (not that you would). But tell him that the new wethers are there for dinner!!! You don't have to tell him right away that they are only there to be served dinner, not served for dinner. And if they come with there own hay. It isn't going to cost you to feed them this winter. so maybe he will grow to love them!!!!

Good luck.

#8 ·
Yah, I am hoping since they are bringing hay that it will be ok.

He was the same way with the kitten - he says that he hates all the animals, but the animals LOVE him, and so he grows to like them - he really is an animal lover at heart!

I am glad that I was able to make you laugh. My life is full of dumb things that I do!

Although I did just email a person about buying a 3 week old calf - now that would be dinner when it is big enough - if I can buy him that, he will definately forget about the goats I bring home - LOL!

#9 ·
Ya know they are just softees under all that "mean talk", my hubby knows now, DUH after almost 10 years, that the more he says NO the more I bring home!! It all started with a lil' black and white kitty, Jake who passed 2 years ago, then came Max my old pup, then my petey, who passed then Bootsie and Dolly then Skippy then Tilly, You get the picture...anyhow I was threatened with sleeping in the barn when I decided to get the new puppy. Well its ok with me...I'm used to the snoring, grinding teeth and expelling gas.....my goats would be much quieter!! LOL.

If your hubby was a drinking man, get him a six pack and do some serious sweet talking...thats how I ended up with 2 registered goats!! LOL :p

#10 ·
Oh Liz,

To bad you live on the other side of the states from me - we sound like twins - LOL!

I had already thought of the whole seduction thing - LOL!

You are so right about the whole snoring, farting, ect - from the hubby! hehehe! Between that and the mastiff - I get no sleep in my house - Hey, I mught just like cuddling with a cat in the barn - who knows.

#11 ·
Hooooo Boy! Your DH sounds exactly like mine! I had the one goat, Belle, when we met, now I have 8 and babies on the way.. He says the same thing... NO MORE GOATS! He had agreed to 6 if he could have 2 calves. well, we have 8, and a new barn, $1500.00 in new goat fencing, and he rants every day about those #*%#** GOATS! I do the sweet talking and buy LOTS of beer.. like 4 cases, that does help! LOL!
Mary

#12 ·
Oh do I feel your pain..dh is always telling me get rid of this one and those ones...don't breed the Nubian to a Boer...(well half those babies are still here and they are his favorites)
If you have room go for it!
Sorry some of you, I don't always listen to my better half. There is an element of respect & all that somewhere in there but once in awhile he remembers that Im not getting my hair & nails done every week and dont come home with new clothes like some city gal might.
"Oh No will you look what came with the hay!??" :eek:

#14 ·
Alyssa,

Us also - with being married a year - remember we are just a few days apart!

Well, I am glad to know that I am not the only BAD wife - so they like to call us.....

Funny thing though Nancy D - I do get my nails done also - even though I live on the farm. And of course he teases me about that also - but it never fails I am always walking around with 1 or 2 broken (like now) but I don't care - the other 8 look great! hehehe

I think I will use the "Oh no - there is baggage with the hay" trick and have the beer in our downstairs fridge for him and mabey a cheesecake - LOL!

#16 ·
Now Im sure you all understand I wasnt knocking anyone for having nails & hair done...its just not my thing...altho getting my hair done once or twice a year is a real treat!

Lets see if I can find this theory by Linda Fink from her book "More Life in the Goat Lane".
Ahh yes on page 44. It is called OPACCT...optimal animal carrying capacity.
She came up with it when her dh questioned her about the amount of animals she had...messed with him about some kind of new math.
She confesses not knowing exactly how many goats were in the barn.
When her goat numbers began to dwindle, a llma showed up."Then another muscovy joined our single surviving one. A banty hen with 6 chicks. Two geese turned into 10. It was almost like magic."
The conclusion was that if you don't have X amount of whatever critters, SOMETHING is going to show up to make the numbers pan out. If its not goats its chickens. Or horses. You are going to be miserable until that
"optimal animal carrying capacity" levels out.

A must read for any sane person :lol:

#17 ·
nancy d said:
Now Im sure you all understand I wasnt knocking anyone for having nails & hair done...its just not my thing...altho getting my hair done once or twice a year is a real treat!
oh good because I love getting my hair done and my nails and shopping and buying shoes. But I am a budget person. I only spend what I have and I don't usually have a lot. I tend to spend my tips on myself.

#20 ·
The 2 of you who are "newly weds" still have SOOO MUCH FUN AHEAD OF YOU!!

I too do not and have never had my nails done or even a professional hair cut! I trim my own bangs and hubby trims the back( I know its even as long as I wear a shirt with horizontal stripes and forego the 6 pack til afterwards!!)

As far as the "seduction" with sweet talk and a beer or 2,3 4, whatever it takes!! Mine usually "thinks" he agrees to a new critter...don't remember at all!!

Wonder what he'll do if I end up with another registered nigi doe next year???

#21 ·
Well, I am thinking he can not be to upset, because I sold one goat already and I have a home for another if I can't sell him. Or he may end up in our freezer. Who knows. I would rather give him to this lady that my vet told me about today that loves goats and has about 25 of them.

I would rather not get rid of him, and he is a sweet little guy, but gotta have a plan.

My father called me tonight and I told him.... and even he said, just have the guy back into the hay area, and unload the goats straight into the pen, and my DH may not even know that they were on the truck - LOL!

#25 ·
Well,

good news is is that hubby had to go into town this morning, and I had him take his tattle-tale son with him :) (pretty smart huh!)

The gentleman called and said that he was waiting on a delivery and then he would be here. I was so worried DH was going to be back before he got here.

The gentleman showed up with two beautiful "pygmy" goats - BUT I do not think they are pygmy - I think they are oversized Nigerians. But when I get pics, you all can tell more then I can. But, they are bigger then my large Nigerian buck.

One is named Edward, and he is a pure chocolate wether that has partial blue eyes - hmmmm.

Then there is Saki. He is white except for his front elbows are black and he has frosted circles around the outside sides of his eyes. He is so pretty! To bad he is wethered also~

Good news is - we got the goats unloaded and he is gone and hubby is not here yet. The gentleman went back home to fill his truck with hay, and will be back in an hour or so!

The boys were warmly welcomed by my buck trying to "do his thing" and one of my does REALLY likes them.

They seem like they will fit in nicely. He also brought my dried bing cherries, and all the dewormer for the goats~

I will let you know what happens when hubby gets here. And how much hay he brings!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.