Upset and Angry and Scared

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by rocky_ridge_goats, Dec 18, 2010.

1. rocky_ridge_goats

rocky_ridge_goats New Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Well, Cricket's going to go. He's way too strong for me. I had to have my dad flip him to the ground this morning so I could get him hooked up. I'm angry at myself for raising such a big mean/playful goat, but then I am upset at the goat because I am scared of him. Literally, I am scared of Cricket. I can't step up and be Boss Goat because he's so strong and scary for me. Just this morning, he got me twice on one leg. I now have two nickle-sized bruises where he got me on my left leg. We put up a Craigslist ad, and now I am upset that he might just go to a place where they'll slaughter him. I don't want him to go somewhere bad. But then again, I want him to go somewhere where he can be used.

Here is the craigslist ad if you are interested and live in the area. Copy and paste it into your browser.

http://pennstate.craigslist.org/grd/2119047449.html

PS: He's a man's goat. Likes men (and pretty much only men) until somebody gets control of him. He'd probably make a great draft goat.

2. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    Wow to bad. I wish I could get a hold of him. I love toggs and I know my buck could get him knocked into place...

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Aww...sorry you feel that way. Wish I could do something to help ya. :( I do hope he gets a good home though, but if he is downright nasty then not sure what he'd be good for? Good luck and sorry again that you're dealing with that.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sometimes ...they do get aggressive...it doesn't matter... if they where bottle babies and tame.....it is when they reach maturity and have all that testosterone.... and some do... become that way.... I am sorry... he turned out like that ...but ...it is best ....you do get rid of him... if he has already hurt you..... :hug: :(

5. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Oh my! That's a large goat to have butting you... this may sound controversial, but would you consider putting him down? I sometimes think it's more humane to put one down than send it into an uncertain future.... as hard as that may be

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    just want you to know that you have no contact information in your add and people wont be able to easily contact you. So you might want to edit the add and enable the email option

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh ...you are right Stacey....good eye.... :wink: :greengrin:

8. rocky_ridge_goats

Aug 6, 2010
    I considered putting him down, but I couldn't do it. He's too.... enthusiastic about life. I don't know how to edit a craigslist ad because my mom put it up.

9. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    On craigslist if people want to contact you they can copy and paste the ad address at the top of the ad... That's how I"ve always done it. And I never give my email or phone number because of spam, so that's how people contact me too.

I am very sorry that you are going through this, but if he is hurting you, enthusiastic about life or not, he's gotta go.
    Just like a friend of mine who is a breeder and sold us our boer buck. She told me, if a buck ever butts you, you get rid of him, you either put him in the ground yourself or you have someone come do it for you. Once they start butting, it's a hard habit to break, especially with bucks. That's what I was told. And if they are too big to handle, well you can't take chances on your safety or others.
    Again I am very sorry I am sure this is very hard for you, raising him from a baby like you did. Sometimes things happen, and there's just nothing we can do about it :(

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Honestly, if he was mine, I would probably just slaughter him or put him down...I would have no patience left if he was to do that to me. I personally would tough it up and be nasty right back to him, but if you aren't strong enough then I really would consider sending him to freezer camp...it might be hard, but you have to think of the safety of others as well once he is gone. I just hope you are very open about why you are selling him, because if he is to hurt someone after he's sold, they might come back blaming you.

11. rocky_ridge_goats

Aug 6, 2010
    You are right, KW. I think that's probably why nobody is answering the ad. Although, my aunt is dating somebody who loves to eat goat, I think I might give it another day or so, but if nobody answers by wednesday of next week, he's going to be sold for meat.

12. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

I'm so sorry. :( :hug: Our neighbors use a cattle prod (zapper) on their Boer billy when he gets mean. It works! But if you can't handle a goat without a cattle prod, I'd still consider it dangerous.

13. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    I have not seen a post stating what happens to you when he attacks, but at 7 months old Im curious as to what he does? I have a buck that was born in January and 2 bucks born in April, They are not very large at all. The most damage they will do is jump up on you if your holding something they want, they have never butted us. If I was closer I would take him in a heartbeat.

ETA: Ah - I found the posts. The biting is not a good thing at all, but I would think vinegar water would have changed his mind some.

14. icboers

icboers New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge,TX
    I have used a cattle prod to gain respect from my bucks (Boers). this year we bought one that was almost a year old and he had not been handled much, so he was very full of himself. I used the hot shot to get his attention as he liked to rub on me, now I don't have to use it because he knows I am boss. I am only 5' 3" so he would be able to take advantage of the fact he is bigger and stronger but he doesn't.

I do not consider him dangerous, nor am I scared of him. I also have 2 other bucks ranging in age from 10 months to 2 years and they are both respectful as well.

Karla

15. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    I would not sell him for meat without giving a cattle prod or a riding crop a try. I have a buck that is now a cart wether, not because he was mean but because thats what we bought him for. He was really obnoxious and aggresive until I got a short riding crop and and I started wacking him across the nose with it. Now Galen is the most mannerly wether you will ever meet.

16. jberter

jberter New Member

As the two last posters said,, cattle prod or something to smack him on the nose to get his attention and respect,, before resorting to selling or freezer camp. I would opt freezer camp before passing on an animal of questionable behavior like his,or make sure the buyer knows of it if you do sell him. :shades: good luck what ever you decide on..and keep us updated.. O.K. :wave:

17. rocky_ridge_goats

Aug 6, 2010
    Update: Cricket is getting better. I did some time doing some goat wrangling, and there is a small willow stick he doesn't like. (I would gently swat him across the nose whenever he did something wrong- like butting the insides of my knees) He's stopped some of it, but he's not the whole way there. I have been spending more time outside and I ruled that he isn't using enough of his energy during the day, so he's all wild and crazy at night. (I came to this conclusion because kids are the same way- if they don't get tired, they are wild and crazy all night, etc) We moved him over to were we have a piece of deck that he can play on all day- and last night, Christmas, he was perfect. He let me unhook him from his tie, and he walked right into the barn and ate some dinner without charging me at all! I now believe he's not headed to Freezer Camp, which I am very glad about!

ETA: I discovered that I can/maybe use an emasculator (spelling?) on a buck to neuter. I think I am going to talk to the vet about it. I know doing something like that won't entirely fix the issues, he will remain a little bucky, but less smelly and the like- more wether than buck. Has anybody used one of those on a full-grown buck? Cricket's trunk is only half full, so I think it will work. Any opinions on this choice?

18. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    Good for you! So happy he is doing better. :thumbup:

19. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Better wait for the trunk to be full first.

20. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I banded a 2 year old nigi buck because of aggressive behavior...no problems with him at all and even though he is still food aggressive, he is one of the sweetest boys I have. If your boy has both testicles in the sack, he can be neutered at any time, regardless of size.