The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a doe (two years old) who has had sloppy poop since Saturday. I immediately started taking her temperature twice daily and giving her a Vitamin-B fortified probiotic oral gel daily, and withholding her milk. I had done all I knew, and was hoping it would just pass off.

But it didn't. As of yesterday (Tuesday) she STILL had an upset tummy! She suddenly moved into the serious category with the onset of Vitamin B deficiency...after the Vitamin B scare with my doeling a couple weeks ago I was slightly suspicious that she MIGHT develop that if her upset tummy continued, but she had NO symptoms...until tomorrow morning when she collapsed and was evidently at death's door. I got her on a strict Vit B injection schedule and in an hour she was back to normal.

But even though I have the Vit.B issue under control, I am still concerned about her. She is looking way too skinny. She is eating hay, though she isn't very interested in her 'sweet feed', and is drinking well, but obviously she needs to keep it in.

The ONLY new thing in her diet is tree bark...all my gals have been going nuts for it lately, and I have been told that they do it at this time of year to get extra fiber.

Her poop (I'm sure you love to hear the details) is not liquid, but sticky and...well...kinda the consistency of thick porridge (oatmeal)...no nice firm pellets. It's very dark, too. Her temp is normal.

Her rear end looks clean today, but I haven't been able to catch her 'going' so I can see what she does! I'm just a little worried whether it will go on and on with her digestive system being upset and her loosing weight. :( Do goats get Johne's disease, like cows?!

Do I need to worry about her, or will her body just deal with it?

And is Sweet Feed (I have 16% dairy breed feed) my friend or my enemy? Do I give it to her to help her eat more, or avoid it as it may upset her more?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
14,615 Posts
When a goat has the runs standard protocol is to with hold grain.
I'd get a fecal to determine if it's cocci.
Yes goats can contract Johnes, you can have her tested for that as well.

·
Super Moderator
83,733 Posts
Yes, goats do get Johne's disease.

Any feed, should be fed in moderation, never increase quickly, can upset their rumen and make clumpy poo.
If they are off, always stops any grains.

Losing weight, upset tummy, plus dark stool. I suspect cocci or worms, sounds like she is being fed OK.

Getting a fecal may be wise.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, yes, I forgot to say that she is up-to-date on wormer...I wormed her last week, and that was as soon as she could be wormed again after her last worming.

What is 'cocci'? :ponder:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An update...

I have been checking on her lots today, and although she would NOT 'perform' when I was around (naughty girl) her rear end has been fully clean all day and I cannot find any diarrhea in the pen or shed...and yes, I did go hunting for it! :-D

Thanks for all your advice. :)

·
Registered
31,044 Posts
I agree...a fecal will help you know if you are dealing with worms your wormer has not addressed or Cocci...

Color of poop can help determine the cause:Topp two colors are::
green color is usually what they are eating and too much of it
dark brown to black is usually parasites

Never just treat runs...runs in itself is not the illness...but caused by the illness/parasties..so finding out why they goat has the runs is very important..
with your gal also loosing weight I would suspect your wormer is not working..and a fecal would give you answers you need :D

when a goat get the runs..always stop all feed/grain and give hay/alfalfa/green leaves only..increase her desire to drink by offering electrolytes along side fresh clean water..
Give C D Antitoxin and pepto..and B complex.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry I have taken so long to respond - the internet can be touchy out here in the backwoods! ;)

Thank you for all your helpful advice...I will see whether I can get a fecal done at my local vet's. Sassy (the goat!) is certainly lookin' better, and plumping out again. Phew!

·
Registered
31,044 Posts
Glad is is doing better...a fecal is a great idea to get an idea of how her worm load is..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts