Urgent- 2 day old twin help

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Just goats, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Just goats

Just goats Junior Member

Apr 21, 2011
    So. California
    We have 2 day old twins and we are in the middle of a heat wave. Just checked on the boy, he's lethargic, won't nurse, very wobbly on his legs, and making little puppy sounds In his throat. I held him for an hour, then made him a little pallet to lie on. His little sister is fine, she's jumping around and nursing. A friend of my granddaughters came over earlier tonight and said he was dehydrated. She gave him some water from a syringe and then some nutria-drench. He was given nutria drench also the night he was born. I hate to lose this little guy so just thought i'd ask for suggestions. He did nurse earlier about 7:00 and I checked on him at 9: tonight. thanks, Just Goats In hot Bakersfield, CA! 104 today and supposed to be 108 tomorrow. We've had fans going in their pen and a water mister overhead at one side, hopefully this was okay for them.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    whats his temp? keep him hydrated with electrolytes (syringed if needed). Ive also found that putting out bottles of ice so they can lay against them really help their body temp stay down. They wont be as active in the heat but as long as when the heat goes down they do nurse and move around then you know its just the heat and not something else going on.

The bottles of ice: take any container or bottle that can hold water, freeze. Then wherever they are laying or like to lay put a bottle or two of ice. They will lay next to it to keep cool.

3. Just goats

Just goats Junior Member

Apr 21, 2011
    So. California
    He just died this morning, it's 9:30 a.m. here, so sad he was so pretty, little black boer, looked just like his dad.

?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Temp should be in the 102-103 range. His mouth should be toasty warm.
    Yellow poop is good.
    I'd sryinge his mama's milk down him.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  6. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Im so sorry, Im in California too, and this heat just blew up. My son lost almost his whole litter of rabbits. You said he is a twin and its going to get hotter before it gets cooler, stacey is right, every night freeze those bottles and keep a eye on that other twin. Again, so very sorry :(

7. melzhippy

melzhippy Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Amish Country, NY
    Sorry for your loss :-(

8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  9. lottsagoats

lottsagoats Junior Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Middle Maine
    Small amounts of sub Q dextrose or glucose under the skin would help keep him hydrated also, plus give him energy if he wasn't eating.

Sorry you lost him.

10. Just goats

Just goats Junior Member

Apr 21, 2011
    So. California
    thanks everyone, this heat is terrible supposed to be 110 til Wednesday, then 105 and 106 the rest of the week and then probably the next week. I just checked on the little girl baby, she's panting pretty heavy, I have a fan on her and we have misters on in the pen on one side, wish I could find a place cool for her and the mama. The older goats seem to be okay, just worried about this one now. I'm going to get some pedia-lyte to give her just in case, is that a good idea?

11. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

Sorry for your loss :hug:

12. Sunrise_trail_acres

Sunrise_trail_acres New Member

Jun 25, 2013
    I'm sorry for your loss; thats terrible. :( Have you called your vet yet to get his/her opinion about the situation? Be sure to give them electrolytes; it'll get them drinking some more water. And, if you don't already have one, go to walmart (or where ever) and purchase a plastic baby pool. Fill it up with cold water for the goats; it'll cool them down A LOT. Again, sorry. I hope the girl makes it.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  14. Just goats

Just goats Junior Member

Apr 21, 2011
    So. California
    Thanks everyone, day 5 and little girl okay but now has light green - runny diarhea, yesterday her poo was yellow and had some substance. Mama had runny poops yesterday but this morning is okay. We are giving the baby pedialyte, and mama is now getting nutra drench and pedialyte too. We hit 110 yesterday here.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  15. Sunrise_trail_acres

Sunrise_trail_acres New Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Yikes! :eek: Thats hot. Hope its cools off! You should try putting up some box fans. They can cool horses off in a matter of minutes; I bet they would work wonders with goats!

16. caprine crazy

caprine crazy Boer Lover 4 Life!

Jun 12, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I have heard that rubbing alcohol will cool them off. I'm sorry about the boy. I have black paint Boer doe and let me tell ya, they get hot QUICK. I'm in Indiana and we have to put a fan on her at 80 degree weather.

17. Just goats

Just goats Junior Member

Apr 21, 2011
    So. California
    Well day 10, baby girl still has diarrhea as of last night but it seems to be thickening up (I hope) We were at 100 yesterday. We've got 5 fans going in their pen, I actually shut them all off last night for the first time. The little girl baby is running, jumping & climbing all over everything and finally feels like she's gaining a little weight. Caprine Crazy, I've noticed Mocha (black doe) does get hot easier then the white Boers we have here and her little doeling looks just like her!

18. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    What is being done for her diarrhea? I would give her some pepto to help sooth her tummy and dry her bottom..home made electrolytes will add vitamin and minerals to her as she battles the runs ( recipe to follow)
    Mom milk maybe too rich for her...keeping her hydrated between meals wil help her, hows her weight gain? check her lower inner eye lids for color, compair to the famacha eye chart off think link
    http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.UdniOz6DTL8
    Check mom as well..Is mom still runny??..

Homemade Electrolytes
    A half gallon of hot water
    2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses (or what you have on hand or honey)
    1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
    1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it

19. Just goats

Just goats Junior Member

Apr 21, 2011
    So. California
    We were giving her pepto bismol and pedialyte. Our 4-h guy said to stop for a few days to see if we were just giving her too much liquid. She's very active when it's cooled down in the evenings, and is definitely getting heavier. I'll check her eyelids too.

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    this is no longer an emergency so Im moving it to health & wellness

How is she doing today?

Its not uncommon during the hot part of the day for the kid/s to be lethargic but as long as when it cools down she does get active then she will be fine.

Remember the ice bottle idea I suggested? it really does work and I high recommend it