The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday I had a lady come and test my breeding herd for disease, and she asked me the last time I wormed them, and I thought I used the valbason but after she left I looked on my records I used Positive Pellets. I have 1 doe that is down with a severe copper deficiency (copper bolus already done a couple weeks ago) and hoof scald, giving antibiotics for that, this is the last day. Well, when we got to my buck she had told me that he had hook worms, so I needed to give him valbason too. I email her Saturday night to see if I should use valbason on my sick one, I haven't heard back yet. Should I give her valbason? She did mention that it looked like she had some liver fluke going on, could that mean hook worm? If one has hook worms should I treat all my clan with valbason? Sorry for the spelling.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
How does she know your goat has hook worms? The only worms you can see with the naked eye are tapeworms. If you can see the worms (tape worms) then, yes you would want to worm with the valbazen. How sick is your doe? Could her sickness be due to worms? If she has pale eyelids, then I would go ahead and worm her too. It is best to have a fecal done before worming, but if you don't have anyone to do that for you I would be checking eyelids and if they are pale, they need wormed, if you can see any worms in the poop they definitely need wormed.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How does she know your goat has hook worms? The only worms you can see with the naked eye are tapeworms. If you can see the worms (tape worms) then, yes you would want to worm with the valbazen. How sick is your doe? Could her sickness be due to worms? If she has pale eyelids, then I would go ahead and worm her too. It is best to have a fecal done before worming, but if you don't have anyone to do that for you I would be checking eyelids and if they are pale, they need wormed, if you can see any worms in the poop they definitely need wormed.
To be honest I am not sure. She didn't look at my bucks poo either, and while taking his blood I he appeared a little dehydrated, so she said that hook worm is most likely the cause. So I gave him some. My doe is doing a little better, she does have the reddish color to her which I found out is copper deficiency, so I had already given her 1 4g copper bolus about a month ago, and gave her another 2g on Saturday. Her eyelids are pink and so are her gums. She appears to be moving around better. So I think I'll just hold off for now. Hopefully the 1st copper bolus's will kick in soon. She is eating and drinking well.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
If your doe still has some of her winter hair, you might need to clip her before you can see the effects of the copper bolus, that old dead hair won't change color, but if you clip her you will be able to see better if it is working. If your buck is seeming dehydrated, I would make sure his water doesn't have anything in it. Sometimes it will look fine and everything but if you dump it out and refill they act like they never had water. Also, it is good to have the water in the shade if you can. Sometimes when the water gets too hot they won't drink enough.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your doe still has some of her winter hair, you might need to clip her before you can see the effects of the copper bolus, that old dead hair won't change color, but if you clip her you will be able to see better if it is working. If your buck is seeming dehydrated, I would make sure his water doesn't have anything in it. Sometimes it will look fine and everything but if you dump it out and refill they act like they never had water. Also, it is good to have the water in the shade if you can. Sometimes when the water gets too hot they won't drink enough.
Oh, never thought of clipping her.. I think I'll do that:) She seems to be moving around better today. She has bad hoof scaled too, so I gave her the last dose of antibiotics before going to work.

Every morning I pour out the old water and refill the bucket, if the inside is slimy like today I clean it out. The water is in the shade. There are 2 wether goats and 2 wether sheep with him, all seem to be doing well. I'm kinda wondering if he just needs a little electrolyte mix, and get some minerals in him. Since he's in with my sheep I don't have "goat" minerals out for them, just the iodized / selenium salt block and a sheep mineral tub. All my goats were copper bolused. He seems fine today, but I did give him the valbason on Saturday like she told me too.

·
Super Moderator
58,246 Posts
I would have fecals done on your goats to see where they are with parasites. Make sure coccidia is included.

If it is warm out, I would also put out water with electrolytes in them. Also have out plain water. Then they can choose which water they want to drink.

A B Complex shot wouldn't hurt for both goats too.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I agree with all above but I also want to add to be very careful with the goat minerals you offer if your goats are in with sheep.
The goat minerals , the sheep cannot have because of the copper content and the goats need more then what the sheep have in their minerals....just a thought.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with all above but I also want to add to be very careful with the goat minerals you offer if your goats are in with sheep.
The goat minerals , the sheep cannot have because of the copper content and the goats need more then what the sheep have in their minerals....just a thought.
Thank you Trickyroo:) I am in the process of figuring out what is going to work for everyone, because of the sheep/copper thing. Since I have copper bolused all my goats, I'm thinking just getting a sheep/goat mineral block. The only ones that eat the sheep mineral tubs are the sheep, yah, go figure, which is fine but the others need minerals too:) I have them running with the boys right now, but will be moving them to another field by the girls to start munching the second field. I have been offering goat minerals to the girls morning and night (they won't touch free choice I have to offer by hand, I tried for 5 months, and decided to try to offer it by hand/and add to their grain weekly, they will take it like that... I went through several different kinds too, and wasted a ton) So off to the feed store tomorrow to see what I can come up with:)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would have fecals done on your goats to see where they are with parasites. Make sure coccidia is included.

If it is warm out, I would also put out water with electrolytes in them. Also have out plain water. Then they can choose which water they want to drink.

A B Complex shot wouldn't hurt for both goats too.
I will call the vet tomorrow to see what he says. Their eyelids and gums are pink, and they are not skinny etc... The one that's down actually stood up today to eat her grain, she hasn't done that in awhile, so she's getting better. In going to try to shave a part of her hair to see if the blackness is returning as well.

I will go ahead and get 2 buckets going, one with electrolytes one without.

And the A B complex shots, do you get those from the vet? Are they like the BoSe shots? If I can track it down I will give it:)

Thanks!

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
For minerals, you can just get a general all stock loose mineral. Blocks aren't very good for sheep and goats because they can't lick them enough to get what they need. Blocks can also cause premature tooth loss from them constantly biting and scraping their teeth on the blocks. The B complex you can get from the feed store.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For minerals, you can just get a general all stock loose mineral. Blocks aren't very good for sheep and goats because they can't lick them enough to get what they need. Blocks can also cause premature tooth loss from them constantly biting and scraping their teeth on the blocks. The B complex you can get from the feed store.
Oh okay. I know my feed store does not carry the loose minerals for all stock, I went down that quest before.. I just got another sheep tub, as they were out of the multi species one, and everyone went after that, so I think that is what I'll stick with:) If they need the salt then I do have the blocks available for them to lick in all the fields:)

Thank you!!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Happy to report my down doe is doing better. She is standing to eat her grain, and she is also starting to boss her sister around again:) I did clip her hair a little and it is coming in black like her sister... I called the vet and he said that a fecal isn't necessary since her gums and eyelids are pink, and most likely it is a copper deficiency thing:) So yeah!! I'm now hoping and praying that she tests negative for any and all diseases... Well I'm actually hoping and praying that for all if them... I'm attached to these guys:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts