The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be honest I don’t know how to start this. Last year was really rough, 2 mommas got sick, 1 momma died. Bellamea had pregnancy toxemia, this caused her to have her babies very prematurely, because they were premature, 3 out of the 4 died. Ella had toxic mastitis. Jasmin died from something that happened during birth, we’re not completely sure, vet didn’t get to us in time, they said it was most likely a blood clot that formed while she was giving birth and made its way to her heart and stopped her heart. However, I am happy to report that Ella and Bellamea have both made full recoveries and are now retired from having any more babies. We are also taking steps to prevent against any more pregnancy toxemia aka ketosis in any of our ladies this year.

Even though last year was so hard and really emotional for all of us, I am so excited for this years babies. It seems like with all the craziness going on in the world right now, my goats are my happy place. The babies are still a little over a month away, our first momma is due on May 4th. I am anxiously awaiting their arrival.

I would like to know; what do you guys do to make the time pass faster when waiting for your babies? Do you play any little games? Do you start a countdown? Or do you simply try and keep your mind off of it until it’s baby time?

We have 9 goats that will be having babies this year. 3 of them are FF! Our old girls that have kidded many times on this farm are: TJ, Skittles, Pepper, Hosanna, Hibiscus, and Jones. The three that have not kidded yet are June, Kahlua, and Toast.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
I really hope this years better than the last for you!

Pictures are great ... reading and re-reading the does secret code of honor is always good for a chuckle...
Generally I just love on my goats and make sure they are up on their selenium and copper and hoof trims until the last couple weeks and they're too big ...then I get Kidding areas ready and lose sleep...
Can't wait to meet your girls :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really hope this years better than the last for you!

Pictures are great ... reading and re-reading the does secret code of honor is always good for a chuckle...
Generally I just love on my goats and make sure they are up on their selenium and copper and hoof trims until the last couple weeks and they're too big ...then I get Kidding areas ready and lose sleep...
Can't wait to meet your girls :)
Thanks! I'm going to try to get pictures up in the next couple of days. We'll see how it goes, most of my goats are not the most photogenic lol.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Well..by goats not cooperating with the camera poseing..is one thing to help.pass the time..:clapping: I had several does to kidd this year. So I was always taking backend shots, udder shots and laughing at myself. Waiting is hard. But keeping us informed of how things are going made it easier for me.
I do pray your kidding season is much easier on you and your does this year. Bless your heart. Just keep the pictures coming..and we will keep cheering you on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay so I got picture of my girls tonight. Most of them are not the best lol. My girlies keep wanting to sniff the camera every time I try to get a good photo of them!

First up is my girl Hosanna, I could not believe that she got so close to me and even let me pet her! We usually call her our "spooky" goat because she gets spooked easily and she's pretty skittish. Apparently her hormones are making her a friendly girl today.

IMG_0720.jpg

Next is Jones, I struggled to take a picture of her and ended up with 90% nose photos.

IMG_0739.jpg

Here's Pepper, or as I like to call her, Pepsi.

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

This is Hibiscus. Also a bonus photo of Hibiscus when she was at the fair 2 years ago.

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

Next up is Miss Skittles. Skittles was named for the red dot on her back, which some people think looks like a skittle.

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

Our last veteran doe is TJ.

IMG_0789.jpg

I had to post a nose photo lol. One more of TJ.

IMG_0792.jpg

Now for the FF's. First this is June, she is a quad along with Jones.

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

Here's Toast.

IMG_0748.jpg

Last but certainly not least is Kahlua. We are not 100% sure that she's pregnant but she was in with the buck for a long time and it seems like she has not come into heat since then so we're very hopeful.

IMG_0800.jpg

She did not want her picture taken at all! She ran over to be with the cows, apparently she was trying to hide from me lol. This is the best picture I could get of her.

So there are all of our expectant mommas. We can not wait for the babies to be born!

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
You did Good!:great:
Now we have seen their happy faces. So now the fun part...try getting body shots& udder filling shots! Yeaaahhhh soooo much fun! (headsmash) you get to chase them around and try to get a picture of something that we can tell what it is...:funnytech: thats a good way..to keep track of your does. Their body score. Their coats for selenium. And watch their overall health. Pretty soon your showing us pics of:kid3::kid3::kid2::kid2::kid::kid::kid::love:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good news!! Okay no body and backend pics yet. It’s been very rainy and we haven’t gotten any opportunities to take pics yet. But the good news is, we’re pretty positive Kahlua is pregnant. She doesn’t like to be touched a ton so we couldn’t feel her stomach to see if we could feel babies, which was frustrating. However, tonight she was eating hay and I was able to give her udder a quick feel, her udder pretty much filled up my hand, which is not very big, but she is still a little more than 5 weeks out from kidding. I am very excited and wanted to share this update with all of you, body and backend pics should be coming tomorrow.(Fingers crossed)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay so I have discovered that I am not very good at taking udder pictures. The quality on these photos aren't very good, my ladies are very hairy right now and do not have very full udders. Side note, we had a big rainstorm here last night/this morning so some of the girls are wet. Don't worry they have a big barn with plenty of space that they can go into they just choose not to because they're goats and they like to play in the rain apparently.

First up is Toast, she is 1/2 Kiko and 1/2 Boer. Her udder is pretty small right now but we're still a little ways out from having babies and she's a FF.

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

Next is June, all Boer. She is also a first timer and has a small udder.

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

Here is our last first timer, Kahlua, she is also 1/2 Kiko 1/2 Boer. I couldn't even get an udder shot of her because there's so much fur and so little udder lol.

IMG_0872.jpg

Here's Pepper, she's 1/2 Boer 1/2 Alpine.

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

Next is TJ, full Boer.

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

Jones, also full Boer.

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

Here are pictures of Skittles, she is full Boer as well.

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

Hibiscus, full Boer.

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

Last is Hosanna, she is 3/4 Boer and 1/4 Alpine.

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0876.jpg

That's everyone. I am not very good at this. Thankfully we only have 5 weeks until so I won't have to keep doing this much longer.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Hey you did pretty good. But for the Next 5 weeks....alot of changes are gonna happen. And you wanted to know how we get through the time before kidds?!!! You are experiencing it! And do you have all your records up to date? All the papers filled out? See...all this fun stuff!
Your girls look good! Im glad you have a barn. Got all your kidding pens ready?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All my records are up to date, we don’t have registered animals so no papers like that to fill out, pens aren’t up yet, we usually use calf hutches in our barn for kidding pens so it is very easy to move them in.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m mostly just taking cute pictures and videos, I like to feel the babies move in my does that are calm enough to let me feel them, I give them lots of pets, hoof trims, good feed and water, and I wait.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, a little update. June does not appear bred. Aghh! We are starting to believe that she is a freemartin. We tried to breed her last year but she never got pregnant so we figured it’s okay, she’s still young, we’ll try again next year. She was part of a set of quads, 2 girls and 2 boys. June and one of her brothers Jack Jack looked identical. The boys got sold and we got a report from their new owner that his testicles never grew at all. His brother was fine and is now used for a breeding buck but for some reason he never matured, we didn’t think that much of it until we discovered that June does not appear to be pregnant. She looks like she’s getting larger but she does not feel like she has an udder. She was with the buck for 3 1/2 months so maybe she caught on a later cycle but it’s not looking promising. Other than that everyone is doing well and we are currently 20 days out from having babies!!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts