The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a young FF in trouble kidding I think. I'm worried about her cervix not dilating.

There are no visible contractions or signs of labour. She has a pinkish coloured mucous show.

She's not going out to graze today, she's very uncomfortable, sitting around, unwilling to move and way too quiet.

If I make her stand up, she is hunched and unhappy, dull looking. She acts like she's walking around with a broom up her behind but there's no labour starting.

Ligaments are gone, udder is sprung, and the kid has moved up into the birth canal.

Is it sounding like a cervix not dilated? I had that happen with a cow once.

The lack of contractions are worrying me, she seems dull and unwell but I've got no certain signs of anything.

I'm so far from the nearest vet the travel fee costs more than a goat so I can't just casually get her checked just in case.

·
Super Moderator
32,158 Posts
I would start by checking with 2 fingers...see if there is anything close. Sometimes FF take longer and are more dramatic but we certainly don't want to assume..especially if baby is presenting wrong

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I'll have a quick check on my next trip. I didn't yet since she's overall still dry and tight.

Been watching her for 2 hours with this sitting around thing, she looks awfully unwell but no symptoms to nail down. I'm hoping she's just unfamiliar with early labour pains.

I felt her belly, it seems very hard and clenched tightly. I can feel where the kid is ... hooves down in front of the udder, side of the pelvis up against her side, seems generally a normal position, feeling from the outside only.

Just gave her a dose of glucose ... in case she might have pregnancy toxaemia or milk fever or whatever ... I don't necessarily think that is likely as she was very active and happy until this morning. But I had a sheep with that problem a month ago, and it won't harm her to have a little glucose.

She's only 16 months old, I don't normally breed them the first season but she jumped over 2 fences, and I didn't have this one aborted since she was such a big growthy doeling technically up to a size most breed at anyway.
Now I'm kicking myself.

·
Super Moderator
32,158 Posts
Hard tummy could be contraction. Maybe early stages. Definitely check her tonight and see hows she's doing

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well she's finally taken a short slow walk out to the paddock and had a very small graze.

She has more light red mucous.

The tense belly is constant, not intermittant like contractions should be I would have thought, but who knows.

She is standing hunched holding her belly tucked in as if due to discomfort so that could be all that is.

Two fingers reveal I believe early signs only- the cervix still undilated I think is what I can feel, certainly no kid portions, although that doesn't soothe my ringworm traumas any it's consistent with simply being too early yet.

It's strange how she's acting down, I've never seen one do this, more lethargic than restive, and apart from the constant tensing she's walking like a goat who has a kid halfway out.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have, as you say, had my hand in and checked her out ... I found the water bag presented just a handspan inside, so we do have a birthing proceeding.

There has been slow progress, over the last couple hours she has passed varying quantities of gel and fluid but not broken her waters.

I have seen now several definate contractions ... oddly irregular, I timed two 25 seconds apart and then nothing for a few minutes at which point I gave up counting seconds.

I'm now thinking she has an extended pre-labour and looks so miserable simply because she feels awful. Her hunched look, dullness and tense belly looks much how I feel with period pain, and after a little exercise she seems more alert.

She eventually got to graze for a little bit before nightfall, she's now trying to go to bed but can't settle.

Pleasing for her sake, her mother is keeping close, being a strong sympathetic goat to lean her head on and brace against!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still progressing slowly, the water bag peeks now if she squats and pees (a piece the size of a ping pong ball) But disappears when she stands.

I can only feel the water bag at this point, I'm shy of popping it early trying to grope right back in there, but going up to have another go soon.

Read that the first stage can take 12 hours prior to the bag showing properly and proper pushing starts .. which would be consistent with her time today.

Expecting the pushing to start real soon though, as yet we aren't even close to breaking water and still only infrequent contractions.

Incidentally, I've now got another 5YO doe who looks uncomfortable enough to kid in the wee small hours, I'm expecting triplets from her so this could be a long night.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Late post I wrote an hour ago...Well we've moved a little, I can now feel a little hoof back in there inside the water bag which still hasn't popped yet.

I can only just reach far enough to touch the hoof right now, we have a FF with a tight canal for a hand to fit. Tricky with the water bag there too, I don't want to pop it and bring on the kidding before she's ready.

But I'm checking again all the time to (hopefully soon) verify that the hoof is slowly coming out and has another leg and a head right with it. At least I now know it's a front hoof.

She's not in proper labour yet, but its hard to say anything is wrong, with slow steady progress in the right direction, and still prior to the waters breaking. She seems more on a human birthing timescale than a goat one.

Meanwhile over the other side of the shed my heavily gravid 5yo doe has knocking hips so loose she can't sit herself down and is just pawing the bedding constantly poor girl.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She's now starting to push, and the water bag is getting bigger. Nothing else visible yet.

However, the cervix is only half dilated. There is just one leg out of the cervix, (it's further than it was when I first felt the hoof) and the nose pushing halfway out too.

Im sure I'm going to be needing to bring the other leg forward, but the cervix is not dilated enough for me to reach through or manipulate the kid safely yet.

However as she's just starting to push a bit now, I'm sure that will dilate the rest of the way soon.
🤞

Reactions: happybleats

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Has a vet seen her?
No, I can't afford to call a vet out here for something that we can probably handle, particularly now she's starting into more normal labour.

I live so far from the nearest town that the vets travel fees alone are several hundred dollars. I could literally have bought 2 pedigree goats for the travel fees on the last vet bill, which makes it hard to call one out just to see if she needs it or not.

I considered taking her in to the clinic, but before I had to make that call we began to see gradual progress, and decided she was only in pre labour before.

Now she's just starting labour properly, but still early, we can I believe deal with it OK, and therefore traveling to the vet would not be the best thing for her at this time either.

Reactions: Tanya

·
Super Moderator
32,158 Posts
Early labor can seem to take forever. I had a doe who took five hours every single year from the first good sign of labor until kids were on the ground. I remember her first year we rushed her to our vet...he was at least kind to us being new goat owners lol. Poor mama had baby in the trailer before we left his parking lot. 🙄 so for her many years with us..we learned to be patient.

Reactions: K.B.

·
Super Moderator
32,158 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Job done. A single lovely doeling

It's 4:40am and I'm absolutely shattered, but not half as much as her poor mum is.

Her cervix barely opened enough for this little bundle.

She never came into a strong labour, she had a period of contractions that finally burst the water but after that even though I'd positioned the kid she didn't strain much except against me.

We spent the night on 30 minute timer intervals trying to stretch that cervix slowly.

Once I got the second leg forward the head went crooked due to not fitting in the cervix. I had to turn that back straight.

After that I gave mum a 30 minute period to rest and allow the cervix to stretch before going for a pull.

I started with easing around stretching the cervix gently with my fingers before pulling the kid, one hand in mum manipulating the head to ease one side at a time while with the other drawing tension on baby's legs.

I had to ease the cervix over baby's head both sides it was that tight I really worried it might tear or even come with the kid.

But slowly and surely baby came. There's no excessive bleeding. I've checked and there isn't a twin still in there.

Mum has little interest to do more than answer baby vocally and sniff her. I held baby up for her first little feed of colostrum. She hasn't stood on her own yet.

Baby is in the house with us since the cats had an eye on her for dinner ... horrors!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,158 Posts
Congrats on a job well done. Give mom some molasses water and a banana...rest is good for all..

1 - 20 of 44 Posts