URGENT goat down.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by agilitymaster01, Jan 13, 2014.

1. agilitymaster01

agilitymaster01 Rose Creek Acres

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    We are boarding a few of my friends dairy goats over the winter months. When my dad got up (the goats are on his farm) and went to do goat chores in the morning, he noticed one of the dairy does didn't want to stand. She would eat and drink, but not want to stand. He called my friend and she said to give Propylene glycol, and vitamin B. We did that and there was not much difference. So she came out bringing leafy greens, orange juice, and Probios.

The goat is now standing, but very wobbly and weak. Cannot take a step on her own. She is eating, but doesn't drink (we need to syringe her water), and is just not normal. Very weak, and not really out of it, but not good either.

I have been reading on (what my friend thought might be Vitamin B deficiency) and it keeps bringing me back to Polio or Listeriosis? I saw the closed topic on the forum, but I am not sure how to distinguish between the two. We do not have any "goat savvy" vets in this area. The most the vets know is that they can be treated almost like Cattle. Anyway that is not the point...Are there any for sure ways to tell between the two or tips on what I can do to help her. I feel just horrible especially because it is not my goat. Can I treat for both Polio or Listeriosis at the same time? (just incase?)

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. ryder225912

ryder225912 New Member

Dec 25, 2013
    When the vet suspected Listeriosis in our doe that was off balance and unwell, we treated for both Listeriosis (Penicillin) and Polio (Thiamine). I do believe it is commonly accepted to treat for both since symptoms are so similar. Good luck with your doe.

3. nchen7

nchen7 Goatless goat momma

Feb 25, 2013
    Ontario
    what's her temperature? how's her poop/pee? have you wormed her recently? if so, with what?

propylene glycol is for pregnancy toxaemia.

you can read up on goat polio/listeriosis here http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html

polio and listeriosis is usually treated together b/c the symptoms are so similar.

4. Yes you can treat both at once but I wonder if that is even the issue here.
    Is the doe bred? Is so how far along?
    Are all legs or jus the rear weak?

5. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    Not bred, and she just doesn't seem to stand with out trying to lean, and she cannot walk by her self. The first day she didn't stand at all with out help, now she stands, but not strongly. As for a temp, I can find out this evening when I get home. I am at work currently on pins and needles as one goat is due to kid any time, and another is not doing good. I know it is wise to keep the two separated, but how far apart is safe does one think "just in case", or is a pen apart from each other ok?

6. nchen7

nchen7 Goatless goat momma

Feb 25, 2013
    Ontario
    i'm not sure about distance, but getting a temp and poop and stuff will be most helpful. do you have all the supplies on hand for treating polio and listeriosis? if not, those are good to grab on the way home.....

7. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    We have Vitamine B Complex, and Penicillin at home. We also have (because I ordered it last week and will be here today)...

Nutri-drench
    Jump start plus gel
    Selenium + vit E gel
    Vit B complex gel
    Vit ADE & B12 gel

Any of these useful

8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would pen the weak dow up just in case...I would also treat for both Polio and listeriosis...

since you were able to get her up after the vit. B I would assume Polio....but is always good to treat for both just in case..

another thought coul dbe Menigeal Worm from white tail deer

9. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Seleium Vit e wont hurt...
    nutra drench gives a nice boost

B gels are not th best for goats, they need it injected to work its best...She will need either straight Thimaine or fortified B comple with at least 500 mg thiamine in it..

If you read the link Nchen7 gave it will have the dose of the B and Pen

Best wishes

10. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    Does it matter if she has not been outside lately due to the super cold weather conditions, or is it something she could have gotten awhile ago and is just now showing symptoms? (for the worm that is)

11. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  12. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

I think if it were me, I'd treat for all three. I'd deworm, and do thiamine and pen.

13. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    Ok. We have Ivermectic (used for other live stock) 2cc SQ?
    Penicillin 7cc
    Vit B Complex ?cc

14. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    For polio: 1 cc 500mg Thiamine or 4 cc per B complex with 500 mg thiamin
    for Listeriosis, Pen is needed at the dose per pound suggested ont he link
    For MW.. Ivomec is 1 cc per 40# sub Q along with safeguard, 1 cc per 7 # and Banamine or Dex for brain swelling which is good to give with either listeriosis or MW

15. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
  16. NyGoatMom

Mw= Meningeal Worm

17. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    My dad saw the something on white muscle disease. Could it be that? Hmm treatment there is vitamin e and selenium. Can I treat all 3 just in case?

18. NyGoatMom

When was your last sel/e given? Do you do BoSe or the gel? Do you live in a deficient area?

19. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    We have the gel. As for deficient area, I'm not 100% sure.