URGENT goat down.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by agilitymaster01, Jan 13, 2014.

1. agilitymaster01

agilitymaster01 Rose Creek Acres

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1389655875.736879.jpg

Here is what the counts are for our area but (dumb question) how does that effect our goats? For the eat it through grass? Sorry stupid question I know.

2. For Listeriosis or Polio treatment the Fortified B which has 100mg thiamine needs to be 1cc per 20#. If thiamine the dose would be adjusted based on the mg thiamine.
    Penicillian 1cc per 10#. Both every 6 hours until goat is up and walking.

I saw dex suggested as well. Dexamethasone is good for Listeriosis to help the penicillian cross the blood brain barrier and attack the bacteria where it attacks the body at the brain. ***BUT dexamethasone Will make a bred doe abort so use this drug with caution. In a true Listeriosis situation and if you may loose the doe I would do it to save her even at loss of the kids but just be aware what will happen.

I would do the BoSe if you have it 1cc per 40# or Selenium paste to cover that basis.

For the possible Menengial worm Ivermectin injectable 1cc per 40# and dont underdose this.

3. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/seleniumdeficiency.html

Here is an excerpt of the article in the link...

Selenium has a very narrow margin of safety. Goats require 0.2 parts per million of selenium, and the toxic level is 3 ppm. Some symptoms of selenium deficiency are identical to those of selenium toxicity. A doe's failure to conceive can be the result of either selenium deficiency or toxicity. Kidney failure, stillbirth, and abortions also may be attributable to either end of this spectrum. By contrast, hair loss in the beard and flank regions and cracks and deformities in horns and hooves may indicate too much selenium in the goat's diet. Over-concentrations of selenium occur in parts of North Dakota, South Dakota, Nevada, Idaho, California, Arizona, New Mexico, and adjacent states. See your local agricultural extension agent for information on concentrations in your area.

Our levels here are
    Selenium Se (ppm) 0.348 0.328 0.117 2.952

and the vets here would love to BoSe your goats 4 times a year! I would ask locals what they do for selenium...that will give you the biggest clue.
    Sorry i cannot be of more help...but there is soooo much to learning goats, I am still learning :)

4. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    This is all extremely helpful!!! I thank everyone who is sending me all of this helpful info! :)
    When I got home she was more alert than before. She was still very weak and almost seems stiff legged but will tuck her legs under herself if she tips over or if we let her down. Eventually she goes stiff legged. She turns her neck looking for us when we are moving around. She eats, drinks (we added probios to her water), and loves spinach. We had her standing and she took maybe a total of 5 steps and started to tip again. We laid her back down and she started to shake a little. (Not much)

We gave her penicillin, selenium w/ vit e, and fortified vit b complex. Tonight. Plus the water with probiotics in it, spinach, and some sweet 16 as a pick me up. (They don't get that often)

Praying she gets better!

5. Wild Hearts Ranch

Wild Hearts Ranch www.wildheartsranch.org

Dec 26, 2011
    I would avoid the grain while she's sick, especially if they aren't used to it - don't want to upset the rumen on top of whatever else is going on. Fresh fruits and veggies are much safer, and you can pick some browse as well.

6. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    Ok. I will have to stop at the store and pick up some fruit. (I know not a lot as I do not want to make their stool soft.) She ate spinach last night, and some alfalfa cubes. She also drank the probios, etc...This morning she didn't want to want or drink again for my dad. He did syringes of water, and she would drink, but she would not drink herself.

We are going to build her a little sling type thing between two gates tonight as we can have her standing on her own (with out us needing to be there all the time) so we can work with the other goats, and let her stand for a longer period of time without falling over. Last night she seemed to be doing better than this morning, but we may have a theory...I look and sound a lot like her (human) mom, and she ate good when I was there, but not when my dad took care of her this morning by himself. She also ate good when her mom was there. Maybe she will only eat and drink for females? Do goats get like that? So stubborn that they will not eat for men if they are use to women?

7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Some goats do better with the one they are closer to. A sling would be good. If she o is struggles to eat you can soak alfalfa pellets until mooshy and drench using a turkey baster..keep hay in front of her at all times, they need that long stem and maybe hshe will nibble on some a bit....
    fix her some electrolytes to encourage drinking...

8. NyGoatMom

Is she getting the penicillin and thiamine by chance?

9. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    She is getting both of those things, and she has hay at all times. She ate a handful of that last night. If I think of it, and my phone battery doesn't cop out on me, I will attempt to video what exactly she does when we get there and see if that helps. I was trying to do so many things yesterday, I failed to get her temp. I should have known better. (I am a bad goat sitter) :(

Actually...It very well could be that I forgot because I got hit in the face by one of my goat's horns, and my dad (in an attempt to catch a goat and bring it closer) got hit just on the outside of the ear with the tip of the horn. (he bled for quite a while and now he has another hole in the head) Young flighty boers...what can you do. ;)

Anyway back to the poor sick Alpine. I will try the alfalfa cube trick tonight. Could she be getting to many vitamins? We gave her a little selenium w/ vitamin E last night. Bad idea?

10. NyGoatMom

I don't think she'd be getting too many, most extras she would just pee out anyway. I think the video may help as we have some super good goat people on here :)
    So sorry y'all got hit with the horns.....but yeah, flighty goats are tricky to catch...
    I would not give her more selenium but it probably did her good to get what you gave!
    Don't forget the temp today, and with everything going on, it's easy for anyone to forget! You are a great goat sitter :) You care~you take action~That's what goats need :)

11. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    a dose of Selenium Vit e wont hurt..and can be helpful..just do not repeat for 30 days...over dose selenium can be a whole other problem : )
    She will pee out any B's given her body does not use...

12. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    ok. That is good to hear that she cannot O.D. on vit B like they can selenium. Does anyone know if this forum can have short video's downloaded to it or if I have to make a youtube account, and upload the link?

13. loggyacreslivestock

loggyacreslivestock Well-Known Member

you tube videos are the only ones I have seen posted.

14. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    ok. Thanks would video help or not really? I can video her when we get her up, and when we take a step to the side, try to walk, etc. She always seems to lean to her right.

15. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    Is there something besides prescription banamine we could give her incase she has pain or swelling? The roads are getting pretty bad here, and I have never worked with the vet that is 40 min. from us. (He is the only one who even thinks about working with goats around us)

16. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    Aspirin for the pain. Check back in the posts , happybleats mentioned it I believe.

17. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Adult aspirin could help a bit...but wont help with brain swelling. Im sorry if it wasnt mentions earlier...but Dex or Banamine is needed to reduce brain swelling and help carry the meds past the Blood Brain barrier

18. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    Prayers you can get these meds somehow :hug: If you have a vet that could possibly call in a Rx for you to another local small animal vet , may it would be easier to pick up ?

19. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    I saw the Banamine, and Dex comment, but didn't see one about asprine. Sorry if I missed it.

I know the vet will want to come out (even though he knows nothing of goats) and smack me with a very large vet bill to tell me there is something wrong with the goat.

I will have to call and see what I can do.