URGENT goat down.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by agilitymaster01, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
  2. agilitymaster01

agilitymaster01 Rose Creek Acres

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    I feel bad for the goat. She is being poked and prodded...what with the vit. b shot, and the penicillin, and now possibly banamine...poor girly

3. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    She is going to pull through though...I can feel it! :pray::mecry:

4. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    We need to be positive ! Your doing everything you can ((hugs))
    Prayers she recovers quickly for you honey

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    It is hard to keep giving shots! But keep in mind without it she would surely die..so you are doing good work...There is a good chance for recovery and a positive thinking always help!!!..I even pray over my sick goats!!

6. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    Thanks!! My friend happens to have banamine. (FEWF!!) She is going to bring me some tomorrow morning when she comes to visit her poor little girl. She has to drive an hour and she has come almost every other day since she got sick. She is a good mommy.

7. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  8. Wild Hearts Ranch

Wild Hearts Ranch www.wildheartsranch.org

Dec 26, 2011
    Keep in mind if it's injectable banamine it is ONLY meant to be given IV, and can have serious side effects given IM or Sub Q! Oral is much safer.

9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have given injectable Banamine either SQ or IM to alpacas and goats for over 16 years. Not a problem.

10. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    Good to know! I did not know this!

11. Wild Hearts Ranch

Wild Hearts Ranch www.wildheartsranch.org

Dec 26, 2011
  12. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    yikes! those poor horses!

13. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Ive used Banamine SUB Q only, nver had a problem either...Its a good idea to have a dose of Benadryl handy when ever giving meds..just in case they have a reaction to it...some animlas react different then others...

14. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Thats scary..Poor horses

15. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    Update. She ate veggies and oj (about1.5 cups) again. Along with alfalfa cure (not watered down), and more hay. She drank probably 120cc probiotic water. We had her up and very slowly had her walking around. She used us as a crutch (to lean on) 5 times in about an hour. When we went to put her back on her bed she didn't want to lay on her side any more. We tried to use bedding to prop up behind her (so she could lay almost like a normal goat) and she must have gotten a wild hair. She got her own rear end up but we had to help the front again. We let her stay standing eating hay.

She shows progress at night but like she starts over in the morning. We created a sling across 2 gates that we can keep her standing alittle longer with out us being there next to her. She does better standing. She didn't like it last night but I think for mornings it will be ok.

Her temp was 101.9 last night.

16. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like she is slowly doing better. Definitely keep her propped up in a proper sitting position. It is bad for the rumen when they are laying on their side.

17. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    youre doing a great job!! mornings might be hard after laying all night..stiff and all....Just give her a good rub down massage to get the blood flowing and see if that helps...

Best wishes

18. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    Sounds like me in the mornings , lol..

19. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    Her mama came with oj, banamine and muffins. She ate spinach, hay, alfalfa cubes, and drank almost a qt of oj. We took her for a short walk again too. Just before we left we tubed her 1000ml water to be sure she stays hydrated. I had never done that before. It was good to learn. :). When we left she was standing and eating more hay with her 1 yr old daughter beside her to keep her company. :)

I'm pretty sure my friend started having some tears fall to see her baby like this. It was sad.

20. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    Another update.

We put a tube in and have her water again tonight. She ate a bunch of hay and some more spinach. We used a pallet to lay against the wall. Then after 2 hours of up and walking we put an old sweatshirt on her to help keep her warm tonight and layed her proped up against the pallet. (So she is laying more like a normal goat) so far it is working out well. Hope she feels better in the morning because she is not laying on her side. Sigh. I hope I am doing right.