URGENT goat down.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by agilitymaster01, Jan 13, 2014.

1. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like she is very slowly getting better. Keep up the good work!

2. agilitymaster01

agilitymaster01 Rose Creek Acres

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    Goat update. Not getting better but not getting worse. Her mama is coming to pick her up so people can keep an eye on her 24/7 and give her round the clock care.

3. ksalvagno

Good. Glad you were able to keep her stable. You will have to let us know how she does.

4. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    You did a wonderful job taking care of her ;)
    Prayers she does well and recovers completely.
    Glad she is going home to be with her momma .
    Please let us know how she is doing :)

5. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    I will post updates as I get them. To keep her calm and quiet we set this "tent" up in my friends milk house. She has a heater in the milk house and a heat lamp for the over night chills. She will have care 95% of the day. I hope she gets better so she can come back to join her goaty family. I will not be able to sleep well knowing she is still ill and I cannot see her. :( she is 1 hour away. Sigh.

Attached Files:

6. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    Oh yes. And we cannot forget the nice dog pillow to lay on as well.

7. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

Hope she improves :hug: Nice job keeping her going!

8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    You did a great job with her!! You acted fast and that most likely saved er life!! Now she can spend time recovering and growing stronger...Sounds like she is in good hands!!

Best wishes

9. Tenacross

Tenacross Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Enumclaw, Wa.
    I wouldn't give it to a horse IM, but giving an IV injection to a horse is easier than a goat. At least for me it is. I fear the above advise could stop a valuable medication from being given to an animal that truly needs it. I have given banamine to goats IM many times with no bad reactions. Nothing will drop a dangerously high temperature faster than banamine. I've given banamine to goats that were having a reaction to vaccine or iron shots that went from humped up and miserable to fine and eating hay in less than 30 minutes. It can make a goat that feels like crap feel much better. It is said to be hard on internal organs so shouldn't be used willy nilly or for long, but it can save a goats life. That is worth any hypothetical risk of using it IM to me. It says for intramuscular use right on the bottle. It says for IV only on cattle, but I bet that has more to do with slaughter rules than safety.

10. Wild Hearts Ranch

Wild Hearts Ranch www.wildheartsranch.org

Dec 26, 2011
    I'd give it orally before IM. I saved my horse from a dangerously high fever last year with just oral Banamine and cold hosing (we didn't have any injectable even if I'd wanted to do IV.) I have yet to do any IV injections but a friend recently showed me how to draw blood, so I'm sure I could if I needed to. And if time is of the essence IV will take effect much faster than IM.

11. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    Goaty update. She did a lot of walking today. She went outside, and finally drank straight water out of a bucket. (First time in 3 days she didn't have to be tubed) :)

I think she was very much homesick! Looking better this far. Thank you everyone for your help and support!

12. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    Yay. Glad to hear she is doing better

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Goat Forum mobile app

13. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Thats is amazing news!! Keep up the good work

14. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    One last update (hopefully)

The goat is doing 80% better. She is eating and drinking, walking (still wobbly but walking none the less), wanting to go outside, and trying to pick fights with siblings. She is definitely a mama's girly. :). Thanks again for the help, and encouragement. ;)

15. ksalvagno

Sounds like she should make a full recovery!

16. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    Update on Aki the goat...She is still down, and tipsy. Not much recovery since the last posting. She did lay herself down the one night, so she was sitting up right, but when her mom went out to the barn the next morning, she was on her side again. It is not like she is giving up, or getting better. She is pretty much staying consistent. She eats, and drinks, sometimes she gets all stubborn and needs to have water forced down her, but then she gives in and drinks on her own. Ever heard of an over pampered goat syndrome who just wants more attention than 6 times a day for about 1 hour each time?

Spoiled.

17. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes...when my buck Dozer was recovering from polio, I was hand feeding him hay rolled in littl ebals..stuffing them in his mouth...he eagerly allowed me to spend 30-40 minutes severel times a day to feed him..then I saw the little stinker eatin gon his own a few minutes after I walked away lol.dont know how long he was eating on his own lol..They can grow spoiled to the pampering. Sounds like she may have ups and downs...What if any medication is she on?

18. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    She gets Vitamin B, and probios right now. That is about all. She LOVES molasses, so she likes to lick some of that. I should tell her to try the warm water and molasses "tea". ;)

The goat seems very content right now that is for sure. I know her mom is quite sad because she had to take Aki's (the down goat's) mom in for an emergency C-section, and she lost the mom, and both kids. It is very sad!

19. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Oh that is sad..Im sorry. Hopefully Aki continues to show improvment..but at this point she may be as good as she will get...maybe with a few ups and downs...the b complex is good....The biggest concern I would have is if she falls and cant get up...bloat will set in and kill her if left too long...Keeping an eye on her can be hard 24/7.
    here is a great story to encourage you
    http://goat-link.com/GoatladysGoats/BabyGirl/