The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had goats my whole life but never had this happen. I have a 6 year old goat ( 5th breeding ) she has given birth no problems prior. She is 133 days bred ( this is the absolute maximum i had no billy goat prior to that ) and is leaking discharge and mucus ( no foul smell ) and pawing the ground like in labor . Her milk bag is not big at all. Any advice ?

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
If the kids do arrive this early, you'll need Dexamethasone. That will help them develop their lungs. Most premature kids will end up with neonatal pneumonia, so having Naxcel on hand is also a good idea. Premature kids don't regulate body temps well at all so be sure to have a digital thermometer, warm towels, and a blow dryer available. A tube to stomach tube colostrum milked from the doe into them is a good idea as well.

Even if she does not kid today, her udder not being filled this late in pregnancy might be concerning. Does she normally have a full udder this late in pregnancy? Low milk production can be associated with selenium deficiency, if she hasn't had selenium supplement yet and it is needed in your area then be sure to dose her & all the other pregnant goats ASAP. Low milk production can also be a parasite issue, check her FAMACHA score.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She is eating , drinking , peeing , pooping good. she is getting up and down a lot , pawing the ground , still has discharge , every now and then paints and moans like but no pushing . She also had to go in a separate fence because she was butting any goats who came near he . She wants to sit by me and hollers when I leave her ( she was a bottle baby years ago )

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This was all day yesterday , no foul odor , no pushing , some pawing and getting up and down. She only hollered when I left her. Drinking peeing pooping normal eating hay and a little feed but not gobbling the grain down like normal . Today she seems to have a little less mucus , still pawing at the ground and everything. Never has tried to push and still no swollen utter

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
This was all day yesterday , no foul odor , no pushing , some pawing and getting up and down. She only hollered when I left her. Drinking peeing pooping normal eating hay and a little feed but not gobbling the grain down like normal . Today she seems to have a little less mucus , still pawing at the ground and everything. Never has tried to push and still no swollen utter
You need a vet with that blood. Or go in now. Red blood is no good thing to see that early.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought so too I even sent that pic to the vet , he would not come or let me bring her in. He said it's only worrisome if foul smelling or a fever. I have so much trouble getting a vet willing to see a goat , even if I bring the goat to them. We have strictly equine vets and small animal vets around here. You have to beg a vet to treat a goat or pig. I always pay my bill immediately ( even a $1100 c-section goat bill) I should not have to beg a vet to take my money. I'm so frustrated.
You need a vet with that blood. Or go in now. Red blood is no good thing to see that early.

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
I thought so too I even sent that pic to the vet , he would not come or let me bring her in. He said it's only worrisome if foul smelling or a fever. I have so much trouble getting a vet willing to see a goat , even if I bring the goat to them. We have strictly equine vets and small animal vets around here. You have to beg a vet to treat a goat or pig. I always pay my bill immediately ( even a $1100 c-section goat bill) I should not have to beg a vet to take my money. I'm so frustrated.
If you have any cattle farmers around ask what vet they use or see goats in a pasture... ask.

I would almost tell the jerk vet it smelled badly just to get him out. :/. I know tellin stories is not good but that is also not good on her either. Jerk! But then again... if he does not want to see her it will either be a put her down or c section kind of answer too. I am sorry you are havin deal with this. Heck call the horse vet and tell them what is goin on a d ask if they have any solutions or know a vet that will see goats. Never hurts to ask.

Is she is a small area where you can keep close watch on her and she cannot be harassed by other goats? And you checked every tinny place to see if she dropped kids somewhere?

The three finger in.... did you hit a wall of sorts? Her vulva looks very open in the pic. Or are your hands large and you were afraid to go farther?

@toth boer goats @mariarose @Jessica84 @SalteyLove @Damfino

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
If everything else seems fine I'd actually wait this out. It's possible that she is just a doe to have a lot of extra discharge during late pregnancy. That is definitely very worrisome, but I don't think "going in" when she's nowhere near ready is a wise choice at all. The only thing I'd let a vet do right now is an ultrasound to check for fetal heartbeats. Unless it stinks or she gets sick, I would not intervene internally.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have had goats most of my life the vet issue just keeps getting worse , not many cattle farms around and the vet I called is the honest use. I have called the horse vets they are so snobby sometimes lol. I had to call and call and beg someone to do the c section and pay a small fortune . I'm sure the 6 hours it took me to get help is the reason I lost the kid. I even had one horse vet tell me a goat is not worth the money a c-section cost to hust shoot it to put it out of misery and go buy 3 more goats with the money .Anyway i do have her in a pen by herself and no kids or mess anywhere . I am at work until 4 today and it killing me wondering if she is o.k i took off yesterday and stayed with her but had to go today.
If you have any cattle farmers around ask what vet they use or see goats in a pasture... ask.

I would almost tell the jerk vet it smelled badly just to get him out. :/. I know tellin stories is not good but that is also not good on her either. Jerk! But then again... if he does not want to see her it will either be a put her down or c section kind of answer too. I am sorry you are havin deal with this. Heck call the horse vet and tell them what is goin on a d ask if they have any solutions or know a vet that will see goats. Never hurts to ask.

Is she is a small area where you can keep close watch on her and she cannot be harassed by other goats? And you checked every tinny place to see if she dropped kids somewhere?

The three finger in.... did you hit a wall of sorts? Her vulva looks very open in the pic. Or are your hands large and you were afraid to go farther?

@toth boer goats @mariarose @Jessica84 @SalteyLove @Damfino

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Oh boy I don’t know. I’m sorry if I missed your answer but when you went in did you end up hitting a wall or was she just really tight? When you get home and she is laying down look at her back side and see if by any chance she has a prolapse. She kinda sounds like this doe that I had, she also had the small amount of bloody discharge like in your picture and what it ended up being was a small vaginal prolapse and when it came out a little it would make her push. If you don’t see it then I would gently put my finger in there and feel if it feels like she might have a prolapse. You shouldn’t have to go in very far and gentle is the key word.
Other then that I have no idea especially since you can’t get a dang vet to look at her. I’m very sorry about that. I am pretty much in the same boat as you and sometimes it is beyond frustrating.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I used lubes and tried to see if I could feel anything but nothing no part of the kid or anything , she seemed just really tight and i didnt want to be forceful and hurt her
Oh boy I don't know. I'm sorry if I missed your answer but when you went in did you end up hitting a wall or was she just really tight? When you get home and she is laying down look at her back side and see if by any chance she has a prolapse. She kinda sounds like this doe that I had, she also had the small amount of bloody discharge like in your picture and what it ended up being was a small vaginal prolapse and when it came out a little it would make her push. If you don't see it then I would gently put my finger in there and feel if it feels like she might have a prolapse. You shouldn't have to go in very far and gentle is the key word.
Other then that I have no idea especially since you can't get a dang vet to look at her. I'm very sorry about that. I am pretty much in the same boat as you and sometimes it is beyond frustrating.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
She is not the one I had the c-section on . She is 134 days maximum since breeding , she has had great births prior to this
I used lubes and tried to see if I could feel anything but nothing no part of the kid or anything , she seemed just really tight and i didnt want to be forceful and hurt her

1 - 20 of 46 Posts