The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our young goat managed to find some old fence wire in a meadow and somehow got her neck wrapped up in it. We figure she was in there about 1/2 to 1 hour when we found her and got the wire off.

There is some moderate swelling on her cheeks. My daughters are giving her cold compresses now to try to bring that down. We're not sure, but one eye may be less responsive. There are no other symptoms.

Does anyone have any suggestions what we can do to help her?

Thanks in advance!
Cliff

·
1,524 Posts
By all means get some sort of steroid/anti-inflammatory into her. That will help the swelling and if she injured a nerve, it will reduce the swelling around the nerve. I agree with the rest also.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
I ditto Karen as advice...get her drinking to kep her hydrated and off her green leaves and hay..

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses or what ever molasses you have on hand or honey
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, everyone. I treated the wound as per typical swelling of a flesh wound with gentle hot and cold compresses til the swelling was nearly gone. This particular goatling seems to have a death wish, though. All our goats are pretty clever, but this one--seems like every day she is experimenting with some new way to get herself killed.

Cliff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts