The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe kidded on Friday, she had one stillborn and a normal kid. I never saw her deliver the afterbirth, and she keeps moving like she’s having contractions. Now she’s not eating, drinking and doesn’t want to get up. She keeps releasing watery bloody liquid and is starting to Smell. She stop caring for he kid and just keeps her head down.

Please help, what should I do, as of today it’s been 48hrs and she’s getting worst.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,189 Posts
REMOVE ALL JEWELRY! Glove up, lube up alot, useing circular motion, timing with her contractions. Get her cervix to open by circular pressure. Feel for what is in there. If you feel a kid, you may need a lamb puller. Use the does contractions to help you pull the kidd. The more lube the less chance of tearing her. If you are unable to get this out...please call someone who can, or get a vet. She will need help & antibiotics! I dont know your skill/ knowledge level. Please dont take this wrong. But she is going to need help

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Ok, lube and glove, working with her, slowly put your hand in keep the outside of your hand towards the uterine wall.
Gently feel for a hard object, then closing your eyes try to determine what you are feeling, a leg, a head, a neck,a tail...
That will determine what you'll do next.
If it's legs, is it one or two, feel a bit further and see if the head is sideways, try to get he head in a diving position then working with her contractions pull the goat out.
If it's a tail, try to get the legs up to come out first...be very very careful because hooves can tear your does uterus then pull the kid.
If you can't get it quickly, get the goat to a vet!
You don't want to lose her.
Sadly the kids probably gone already now you must work to save your doe.
Here's a link,
Towards the bottom of the page it shows you what to do.
http://www.boergoats.com/clean/articles/breeding/birthinbabies-tocutrer.htm

·
Administrator
85,630 Posts
A vet right now.

She has major infection going on if the discharge stinks and she is down like that.

If a dead kid is in there, it needs it to come out.
But she may not have one in there, just infection from the kid which was born dead prior and may of been decomposing internally.

She will need to be flushed and given a strong antibiotic, which needs to be started right away.

She is critical and a vet needs to see her to try to save her at this point.

Prayers sent.

Get a temp in her.

·
Super Moderator
32,210 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update:

I was able to pull the kid out. Her mood improve immediately, she got up to eat from her mineral block. She raised her head and seem more alert.

But I’m still a little concern because she still moving her stomach like she trying to push or having Contractions. Every time she has a contraction, blood gushes out. Do you guys think she has another kid?

·
Premium Member
4,801 Posts
Update:

I was able to pull the kid out. Her mood improve immediately, she got up to eat from her mineral block. She raised her head and seem more alert.

But I'm still a little concern because she still moving her stomach like she trying to push or having Contractions. Every time she has a contraction, blood gushes out. Do you guys think she has another kid?
A vet is really needed for her! She has had at least one dead kid in there for days and you are still not sure if there are more. Then the fluids smell badly. You will lose this doe soon if this is not taken care of. I am sorry if i seem harsh but this is not something to mess with any longer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you feel around after you got the kid out?
My glove broke and I wasn't able to go back in, but I push her stomach in from outside and I don't feel anything. Feels soft and she doesn't cry like how she did earlier, when I did the same thing. Tomorrow morning we are going to our local feed store to buy more gloves, and buy antibiotics. Unfortunately all of the feed store are closed on Sunday's in my area.

Keeping my fingers crossed she makes it thru the night, so I can check tomorrow

·
Registered
116 Posts
You pulled the kid, but did she pass the placenta yet?
If she's "still moving her stomach like she's trying to push or having contractions" well, she still has to push the placenta out... and there has been a lot of nasty up in there with the stillborn kids... call the vet at least to get some oxytocin to maybe help get that moving.

You can get antibiotics at the feed store, but not oxytocin. Nursing releases oxytocin- has the one live kid been nursing much? Have you tried milking her?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If she's "still moving her stomach like she's trying to push or having contractions" well, she still has to push the placenta out... and there has been a lot of nasty up in there with the stillborn kids... call the vet at least to get some oxytocin to maybe help get that moving.

You can get antibiotics at the feed store, but not oxytocin. Nursing releases oxytocin- has the one live kid been nursing much? Have you tried milking her?

Yes, I pulled the kid out and her mood completely changed. Before I pulled the kid out. She had her head down, eyes close and wouldn't move. After i pulled the kid out, she raised her head, is awake, got up for a brief moment, and had a bowl moment. I'm hoping is the placenta, tomorrow I'm going to check to make sure. She's also 9years old, and if she survives this is her last pregnancy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Also, baby was feeding on Friday and Saturday but not today. Tomorrow I will also milk her

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Great job!! If you can't get advice from a vet, you can get uterine boluses for cattle at a feed store and penicillin. For the last doe I had like that, I put in two boluses and gave penicillin 10 days. Is she still straining this morning or has she settled down a little? I think that it takes time for the urge to push to go away after pushing that long. That baby needs to eat! How is it today?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts