Urgent - Possible infection, Pen G or LA-200 - PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by PznIvyFarm, Aug 27, 2011.

1. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    One of Bailey's scurs was loose last night so i put her up in milking stand to remove. (This was about an hour after milking, she seemed fine then) When i lifted it to see how well it was attached, there was a maggot under the scur. Got the scur off, minimal bleeding, trimmed the hair shorter, no sign of infection, but dusted it with sulfa powder anyway and then some blood stop powder just in case and put her by herself so she wouldn't head-butt anyone else.

This morning when i milked her, her udder felt warmer than usual. Took her temp, it is 104. She was eating, and otherwise seemed fine. Should i give her penicillin?

She is about 50 lbs, (i can go weigh her to verify) so it'd be 5 cc twice a day - IM i hope?

2. Robynlynn

Robynlynn New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    NW Iowa
    Re: Urgent - Possible infection, should i start Penicillin?

Sounds like a good idea to me...bad time of year for open wounds....the sulfa powder, what is that?? (They make a spray just for maggot infested wounds Is that what sulfa powder is?) ...not that it's infested but it could be soon...good thing you found it. :hi5:

3. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010

powdered sulfadimethoxine - I had it on hand and figured it wouldn't hurt. I didn't realize there was a specific thing for maggot infested wounds, but i only saw the one and it was inside the scur, (there was a little gap inside it where the horn bud fit)

Is my dosage right? Is it supposed to be IM?

i so did not need this. Had my car broken into thursday,(with not much worth stealing idiots! The lock will cost a pretty penny to fix though) yesterday one of my fish tank lights started overheating and the wires were melting, thank God I was home at the time, and now my the first goat i ever got is sick. Bad things do happen in threes.

4. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Re: Urgent - How to administer Penicillin?

The penicillin i have says 300,000 units of Pen G per ml

The bottle says IM only.

Fiasco Farm says it is sub-Q

Please advise which is better

Or should i see if i can get another antibiotic? I keep reading that Penicillin doesn't work (although i used it after Bailey got post-delivery infection and it worked then)

5. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada

Is there swelling and redness around the scur area?? What is her normal temperature? This is a good thing to have on record because temps can vary with time of day, weather, etc. As for shots, seems that most people give them subq but it really depends on the drug. Hopefully someone with more experience than me will step up and answer this question.

6. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010

No swelling or redness (it was red last night from blood, not dripping but just b/c it had just gotten knocked off but looks fine this morning.)

Last time i took her temp, last year for something, i think it was 101. She hasn't really been sick ever except for after she lost the baby last August and there was alot of manipulation to try and save him.

Apparently i can get liquimycin LA-200 at TSC - would that be better?

7. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Re: Urgent - Possible infection, Pen G or LA-200 - PLEASE HE

Okay, i got the LA-200. Hopefully it will work

8. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA

If you want to put her on Pen G the dosage would be 1cc per 15 lbs of body weight for 7 days. Oh and it's subQ. If you start it you need to do the full 7 days. 104 is a bit high if she is normally 101...although if it was really hot out and this was taken in the later part of the day that could also contribute to the higher temperature.

9. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010

No, i took it about 7:30 this morning. Milked last night about 5 pm, udder felt normal temp, problem with hanging scur about 6 pm, sprinkled it with antibiotic powder and blood stop after removing it and trimming hair around it. It was cool out this morning, like 55, so don't think it was outside temp. Besides i have milked all summer and her udder definitely felt hot, much more than normal.

I was thinking the LA-200 is more broad spectrum, she is a ND, so would 3 ml be too much?

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Can be SQ or IM

1cc per 20lbs (or some doe 10) for 5 -7 days

La 200 would be my choice 1cc per 20lbs for 5 days

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Good advice given...hope your baby gets better soon..... :hug: :pray:

12. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010

Thanks everyone. I decided to go with the LA-200, gave her 3 cc, she is still active and eating (although she was standing there panting while the rest of the goats were not, so i am 100% sure something is up) Someone gave the advice once that if you notice problems with your goats immediately and act quickly that things usually turn out better than so keeping my fingers crossed that i noticed quickly enough.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Yes... sounds like you are right on top of it ...so she should be OK.... :hug: :pray:

14. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA

yeah if her udder feels hot I would definitely choose the LA 200 over the Pen G. Hope your girl feels better soon!!!!

15. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada

I agree that if you notice something "off" about your goat to get at it right away..... I made that mistake and am still paying for it..... hope your girl gets better.

16. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010

So far so good, she seems much better today. Thank God, i couldn't take anything else bad happening this week.

17. Burns Branch Boers

Burns Branch Boers New Member

Apr 10, 2011
    North Texas

I am glad she is better! I am like you and like to begin medicating as soon as I know something is "off" I think it is better than waiting till the illness is full blown. It makes it tricky to choose the medicine up front but I feel much better because I fear it will be worse if I wait.

18. Burns Branch Boers

Burns Branch Boers New Member

Apr 10, 2011
    North Texas

So I have been wondering forever

What is the little white thing in the picture?? It is soooo cute!! Is it a little dog? A stuffed animal??? It almost looks to white and perfect to be real. I always wonder when I see your avatar :greengrin:

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

:hug: Glad she is OK... :thumb:

20. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada

Glad things are better.

Looks like a little chicken in the avatar??????