The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My poor wether (3 years old) got his foot stuck and twisted in his hay feeder and was like this for sometime. His foot is now swollen. This happened on Wednesday. He puts some weight on it and I've felt and pressed on it and he doesn't mind or yank it away. He is eating and drinking, but I am literally worried sick that it might be broken. It may be infected because his dewclaw was lightly split from his skin. I'm so worried it might be broken!! :oops: Please help, I haven't found any info on how to tell if it's broken and I really would like to take the pain away from my baby ASAP so he's back to romping.

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm amazed how many people ask for help on here instead of doing the obvious. If any of my animals get hurt I call vet immediately! I don't believe how many try to say there isn't a "goat" vet around. Seriously all vets, especially large animal vets can care for goats.
I live in a tiny Podunk town population 28 & even we have vets around us in a 30 mile radius that will work on any animal that's in pain.
Please call a vet & get help. Best of luck I hope it's not broke

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
I'm amazed how many people ask for help on here instead of doing the obvious. If any of my animals get hurt I call vet immediately! I don't believe how many try to say there isn't a "goat" vet around. Seriously all vets, especially large animal vets can care for goats.
I live in a tiny Podunk town population 28 & even we have vets around us in a 30 mile radius that will work on any animal that's in pain.
Although I can agree with your obvious statement, your tact is lacking. Which I have been guilty of myself.
AND no not all vets can or will work on goats. For 8 years in this area (150k here and about the same again within 50 miles) no vet would agree to see goats. We are talking dozens of vets who would pass you onto the next vet only to have them either pass you on or simply say they dont work on goats. There was one year at the farm I worked on there was a dog attack in which the dogs got into the milker pen and literally tore the udders off of the goats and we had to beg the vets and outta 10 large animal vets that we call, only one agreed and that was only after we exhausted all other leads.

Whats worse then a vet who cant or wont work on goats is a vet who doesnt know goats and agrees to try.

So as already suggested, you really need to get a vet out there. If you cant afford one, then you need to at least call them and get their advice. Which they should offer for free.

·
8,067 Posts
I respectfully disagree with the statement that any vet will can care for goats. I had a serious problem birth last Mother's Day. My dog vet, who also raises goats, is the 4-H vet at the fair, etc. was called. She absolutely refused to come out to help the doe. I simply could not get the kid to turn to get out. Long story shorter, I finally, after many frantic calls, got a brand new
large animal vet to come out- 10 pm on a Sunday. She worked almost an hour to turn the kid! After all that, both were born alive and lived.
But, not all vets will even look at a goat. We have many vets around. Only 1 will care for goats in any circumstances. The local vet clinics will not even do a fecal when they find out it is a goat!

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
So sorry this happened to your goat! I agree if you can get a vet, that would be great! If you can't, I would start by thoroughly checking the area where you said it is open. Clean it out and put some antibiotic ointment on it....wrap it up, but not too tightly.
Could you get pics and post them so we can see how it looks?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Seriously all vets, especially large animal vets can care for goats.
No, they can't. Because of their metabolism goats handle medications differently from other animals and, if the vet does not know this, there is a good chance the treatment will not work and the goat will die. Another thing is that goats do not handle anesthesia well so putting a goat under kills them a fair amount of the time. Same thing with sedation. 3rd thing is that some antibiotics - like Micotil - will kill a goat instantly.

·
Super Moderator
82,257 Posts
I do have to disagree with you here.
Not all vets are goat smart. Most are so unaware of goat issues, that sadly have literally killed some goats, with improper diagnosis and care.
TGS is here for those that need help, if we feel a vet should be seen, we do say so, but it needs to be with a knowledgeable goat vet on critical issues or if certain meds are needed by a vet RX ect.
We cannot criticize others on why don't they just take a goat to a vet. Some vets will turn away goats too.
We do not know every issue or reason's why and it may be at a bad time, that they do not have the money to take a goat to a vet as well.
Which can be very bad, if we cannot help here when a goat should be seen by a vet. Which can be devastating. Not all vets are goat knowledgeable, which is very sad and scary for us that may need a professional, who knows nothing about goats. :(

Please keep it friendly, keep it fun and try to put yourself in some of these shoes.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
I do have to disagree with you here.
Not all vets are goat smart. Most are so unaware of goat issues, that sadly have literally killed some goats, with improper diagnosis and care.
TGS is here for those that need help, if we feel a vet should be seen, we do say so, but it needs to be with a knowledgeable goat vet on critical issues or if certain meds are needed by a vet RX ect.
We cannot criticize others on why don't they just take a goat to a vet. Some vets will turn away goats too.
We do not know every issue or reason's why and it may be at a bad time, that they do not have the money to take a goat to a vet as well.
Which can be very bad, if we cannot help here when a goat should be seen by a vet. Which can be devastating. Not all vets are goat knowledgeable, which is very sad and scary for us that may need a professional, who knows nothing about goats. :(

Please keep it friendly, keep it fun and try to put yourself in some of these shoes.
Well said toth :thumb:

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I do agree with Pam here, and please let's remember we are here to help each other not hurt them,
I know sometimes it does seem like you should just call a vet but I wish it was just that easy.

As for the Banamine you have to have a vet Rx for that.

Palpate the let really well, up and down the let from the toes to the shoulder, see if he pulls away hard because it "hurts". To really be 100% sure you will need to call a Vet that will deal with goats and get a xray. When my doe broke her leg, well lets just say you did not need a XRay to see it. I took a Pool noodle cut it in half, measured it to the length of the leg and made my own splint. It healed just fine and to this day I have no idea what leg was broken and no judge has ever said that one leg is twisted or anything.

As for your goat if there is no vet, give him banamine if you can get it or have it, but only for three day, if not get him some aspirins and that will help but put him in a small pen to prevent a lot of movement. I would maybe even use some like Ligament oil or something that you would use on a horse for sore muscles, make sure it is not really "hot". I bet he is just pretty sore. Keep us updated.

·
Super Moderator
82,257 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
I disagree with your statement. I have to drive several towns away to see a vet who will even look at a goat. Your tact is non-existant, having a hurt goat is next to have a hurt child on the emotions scale. If you wouldn't say it to a mother with a child who has a broken leg, don't say it to a goat mommy.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ok first off if someone's child had a broken leg I would tell them to seek medical help immediately. I was not trying to be rude or "tactful " I was stating my opinion. Sorry I seem to be extremely lucky as I have wonderful vets in KS & MO that I trust with the lives of my children. Yes my animals are my kids as god didn't allow me to actually have human kids.
I have worked & lived on farms my entire life. I have raised dogs, cats, goats, sheep, horses, cattle, birds , chickens, iguanas, water dragons, Guinean pigs, ferrets, rats, gerbils, rabbits, opossums, skunks & a raccoon. I'm sure there are some I missed but you get the point. Animals are my life & sorry if the thought of one suffering hurts me even if it's not mine.
If I learned anything from posting on here it's how lucky I & my animals are to have a great relationship with the vets around me.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Sometimes having human kids makes it harder to be able to call the vet.We all have different situations and as some can and do use vets frequently, there are those of us who can't but wish we could....and others who could financially,but can't due to poorly educated vets in goat care.
Glad you are able to Twink90....you and your goats are lucky :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
It's not that I can afford it but my vets work with me & allow me to make payments. I had to have surgery for ovarian cysts sept 12 then again dec 12 for complete removal of ovaries, tubes, uterus, & cervix due to stage 4 endometriosis.
Sorry if you all feel like I was so rude as I didn't mean it to come off that way. I lost my job on the horse farm after 15 yrs & I'm a little stressed lately. Trying to make house & car payments plus pay bills & still feed everyone is hell right now. I get it were living off 9.50 an hour with my husbands job. So give me a break! I joined this forum to learn & possibly lend advice when I could. Obviously I shouldn't have bothered.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ok first off if someone's child had a broken leg I would tell them to seek medical help immediately. I was not trying to be rude or "tactful " I was stating my opinion. Sorry I seem to be extremely lucky as I have wonderful vets in KS & MO that I trust with the lives of my children. Yes my animals are my kids as god didn't allow me to actually have human kids.
I have worked & lived on farms my entire life. I have raised dogs, cats, goats, sheep, horses, cattle, birds , chickens, iguanas, water dragons, Guinean pigs, ferrets, rats, gerbils, rabbits, opossums, skunks & a raccoon. I'm sure there are some I missed but you get the point. Animals are my life & sorry if the thought of one suffering hurts me even if it's not mine.
If I learned anything from posting on here it's how lucky I & my animals are to have a great relationship with the vets around me.
Twink I certainly did not mean to offend you. I too cannot have my own children and that hurts but I have incredible bonds with my animals because of it. I only wanted to urge you to try to be tactful as hurt goats are emotionally trying for owners. I, like many goat owners, did not grow up doing this. I was lost in the sauce for months after getting my first goats. Thankfully many goat owners on TGS helped me through some bumps. I experienced a broken leg and called vets for an entire day before I found one a whole county away from me. There is also the financial burden, I have a good job so I can afford to take my goat in, many people cannot. I know it would be too much for me to bear if I couldn't afford to take my goat to get help and if someone stated their opinion of disbelief that I did not just take them in.
There are times where I get angry at someone else's decision but it is just that, their decision. You can only help if they ask and anything additional is sometimes unnecessarily hurtful. I'm sure we can all learn from your experience and would most definitely appreciate future post from you so please don't stop posting advice from your lifetime of experience.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts