:URGENT!:

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Droopymole, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Droopymole

Droopymole New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    In my hole...
    I hope this is not what I think it is....Dottie kidded like a week ago...and today she has a very bloody pink gooey substance that she is discharging....could there still be another baby in there? Help!

2. needs to know more

needs to know more New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
    Does will have a bloody discharge for weeks after kidding!!!! Unless it stinks I would not worry much about it!!!!!!

3. samall

samall New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Iowa
    Yep...sounds normal to me, too. Like NTKM said, if it has a really bad smell then it might indicate infection. It also should never be bright red fresh blood, but pinkish or reddish goo is normal for quite a while after kidding.

4. Droopymole

Droopymole New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    In my hole...
    Phew! I was so worried...none of the other does are doing this though...but then again...none of the other does had twins.... :roll:

Sorry I freaked out....lol

5. needs to know more

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
    Don't worry!!! We all do it. And don't be surprised if some of the other does do show up with some.
    I freaked the first time I saw the black tar poop from a new born. I had read about it. But never seen it!!! It was on my second kidding when I finally saw it.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    It all really depends upon the doe. I have some does that have heavy discharges after kidding, and I have others that hardly have discharges at all. Mine usually start discharging 1-2 weeks after delivering.

7. needs to know more

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
    I found I had this saved. But I have seen them have discharge for longer than that. I don't worry about it unless it stinks!!!!!

Normal things that happen after the birth:

The bottoms of the baby's hooves will "shed" their protective white coating right after birth.
    The kid's first poop will be "black tar".
    The kid will poop "soft yellow mustard poops" for at least a week after birth.
    The kid may poop and pee right after birth, even before he has his first meal.
    Sometimes it takes a couple days for the babies legs to straighten out completely and/or work properly (you may want to give them a Bo-Se shot or a small dab of Selenium/E gel).
    There is usually one afterbirth per kid, but often there is only one per kidding. If you don't find the afterbirth, the mother probably ate it (gross, but not a problem)
    The mother will "leak" blood and goo for about 2-3 weeks after kidding, this is normal.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have had them have a discharge as late as 2 weeks after kidding. Most happen to have a discharge at around 1 week. They have a heat about 5-7 days after kidding and I attribute the heat as one that cleans them out. I could be wrong on it but that is how I look at it.

Totally normal :D

9. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I don't mean to steel the thread but I'm worried because I have a doe that we aren't sure if she's bred and she has bright red discharge.She has had discharge for a while now but it just now turned red!!!!Please help me. :(

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how much red blood? could be two things 1)abortion 2) a heat oops 3) getting ready for labor

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I just wanted to tell you that IF she still had another baby in there, she would be dead by now. I had a doe that had twins. Ok, she had had them before. Well 20 hours alter she was about dead, and I was able to pull another baby form her. I was able by the grace of God, able to save them both.
    I agree, you are fine. Just a worried mom. Better a worried one then one that really doesn't notice these things.

12. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    There was several strands of it.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like it might be an abortion. Do you know when she was due?

14. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    It was an accident but she would be due any time this month.

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well then if that is the case then she maybe getting ready to deliver, have you checked her ligaments?

16. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I'm unable to tell by checking ligaments.

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can't tell because you don't know how to find them? If you need help with this just ask and I can help you.

Well just keep an eye on her. I hope it isn't her aborting or having troubles.

18. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I don't really know how.( and she doesn't like to hold still) :lol: It,s darker now and a little thicker looking.

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what i suggest is you create a new thread - describe all her symptoms etc that way we can better address this issue for you