Urgent

Discussion in 'TGS Announcements & Help' started by toth boer goats, Mar 31, 2009.

1. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    warning.....................Conficker computer worm.....Alert !!!!!! :shocked:

April 1st 2009... it is suppose to attack windows computer systems.....make sure your computer updates are up to date to secure you system and your antivirus system ........listen to the news and get more info on it....do some research to protect yourself and computer....it is unknown of what is suppose to do.......it is all over the news so I do not know if it is a joke or what....just be ware and check into it...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/03/24/conf ... pstoryview

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I did hear something about that this morning. I was not paying close attention so I did not hear it all.

Thanks for the warning.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :thumbup: Thanx!

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your welcome.. :wink: ..I am concerned for everyone.......worms/viruses.... can be pretty nasty..... :(

5. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    As long as BOTH your windows and virus software are as up to date as possible things should be fine. Rememer those of you who buy off the shelf comps. After 6months-1year you have to pay to keep your VP up to date other wise it is a useless program on your comp.... any one who needs a good free vp go to

http://avast.com/

I have used them in several comps now including one that I intentionally tried to infect through really bad sites and poor e-mail security. It caught everything. It auto updates and truly is free.
    any questions on it just ask me.

Also if you are still worried just disconnect from the internet :shocked: :shocked: till Fri or Sat.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Jason...thank you so much for the info.....greatly appreciated..... :hug:

7. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    NP goats still learnin, computers I got that. :shades: Just dont ask why windows does....... no one knows. not even bill

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :wink: :greengrin: But it is sure fun to watch him dance .....on "dancing with the stars"....LOL....he needs to stick with microsoft.....LOL :greengrin: see bill gates dancing....link below..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoiGJMZjs0o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoiGJMZjs0o[/ame]

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the problem is if it is already on my computer can a spyware or antivirus actually get rid of it? seems like this "worm" is laying in wait to cause damange tomorrow - so it could already be there.

How does one look to see if you have received a microsoft update?

its a good thing I dont bank online

10. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    To make sure Windows is up to date go to Start-windows update-check for updates.

As to the worm already being there... It is (mabey its real y2k anyone) supposed to search the net for further instrustions if it can't find them it will most likely shut down to avoid dissassembly by some ani-virus company and prosecution when they take it appart. how ever, and this is just my thought, this worm sounds far to "perfect" to be real. They say the algorithm used is to complex to crack. Well it must have been written in the first place so it HAS to be crackable. If it can be made it can be unmade. Now I still strongly suggest that EVERYONE update all of their programs. That is just good sense whether or not there is a scary worm out there. BTW there is one of these things yearly on April 1.

I will not say it won't happen, I will say hackers and worm writers are not usually this well organized. also if you windows security measures are on Vista at least askes you to approve all programs tryin to use the internet in the back round. So if you didn't tell a program to do something and you dont know what program is askin to do it tell it no. It wont hurt anything. If this causes a program to miss an update or something it will ask to do it again.

Also if you do bank online (I do btw) your info is stored in the banks computers not yours so the worm cant get that info. same with online shoppin.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats what I think -- to perfect-- that I dont really think it should be believable... but I will ask my BIL who is an IT guy

12. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Hey if you got a legitimate it guy go fer it. I are just a self taught computer redneck

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    stacey.....please do ask him...I am interested to know what he thinks to.....I didn't want to scare everyone ...but at the same time.. I wanted to warn people just in case.....it may very well be ....a april fools joke........but you never know these days..... :sigh:

your better at it ....than I am evidently :wink: :greengrin:

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I went to start but there is no "windows update" I have XP

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    This is a e-mail response from my good friend ...that is pretty smart with puters....I asked him about it... and this is what he said:

The conficker worm was reported two weeks ago..Unknown if its a hoax..Check your machine for this worm by typing www.symantec.com in your browser addy bar..if your machine wont navigate to this website then your machine is infected.Same thing with MacAfee..The worm is supposed to trigger on April1.Infected machines become cyber "zombie"that can be controlled remotely.It appears the main goal of the writer is to mass "Spam" however a compromised machine can be totally controlled.The best solution is to keep your AV up to date,and never put personal info online...More info should surface soon about this one...Unfortunately

17. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    in xp its under start-programs- its some where near the top after that

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thanks Jason - thanks Pam

I have received updates in March so I am good right?

And Pam I was able to navigate to that website - so again it looks like I am good (so far).

I now need to tell my brother and check out home computer.

They are having a spot light on this on the local 11:00pm news

19. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    as long as the updater said you are up to date you are fine. double check some updates are optional(not really) and you need to tell your machine to do them, but as long as you can access any VP providers site I would say you r good.