The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the baby goat that was in horrible condition, is by getting better. The one with the diarrhea and was skin (he was black & white) he wouldn't eat and hadn't eat in over 15 hours, so I cut the nibbles 20 different WAYS and he finally took 7 oz. So this more I go out and his poop is a yellow white!?
20190716_082523.jpeg

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
I agree, undigested milk... 7 oz at once maybe too much for him. Start with 10-12% of his body weight in oz and adjust from there. weigh him, multiply by 16 to get his weight in oz then multiply that number by 10-12% to see how much PER DAY to start with..then divide into 3-4 bottles a day. Tummy should be flat but firm, not too poochy and not sunken in..adjust amount as needed. Make sure not to feed any sooner than 2 hours between meals..he needs time to digest.

Reactions: 21goaties

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I too agree.
You guys don't think it is scours? That was my first thought. He also had brown poop (diarrhea stuck all over his butt) You think I should just lower the amount of milk? Because when I got him he didn't eat the first 12 hours I got him, and then only eat 7 oz. While his brother eat 14oz and has perfect poop.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Not all babies are the same, while his brother can handle 14 oz...he may not be able to, especially after being ill. Increase milk slowly. Better to have a 4th bottle then 3 larger one for some. You need to find what works for him. Def. decrease milk for now..let poop get normal then increase slowly. Knowing his weight and a good starting place helps.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I agree, if not undigested milk, then undigested fat from the milk. Sometimes this kind of diarrhea tends to get stuck around the anus, and hinder the poop from getting out, keep an eye on that, too. I have held more than one kid under the warm water tap to soften such a lump to get it off without damaging the skin.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Yep, to all of the above. Too much too fast.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
No, I don't think so, @Trollmor
The kid had been quite ill and got a large amount all at once. I would have been shocked had there NOT been this reaction.

Simplest things first, and if that doesn't work go to the next level. That works for most of the population for most of the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts