The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pygmy whether has just had surgery for a blockage cause by urinary calculi. Thankfully he has come through well and is making a steady recovery however I was told it was caused by too much concentrated feed or the calcium to phosphorus ratio in his diet. Well, he (and his brother) barely get a cup of concentrate a day but I only have one type available locally so can't change it.

I have read that adding ammonium chloride to feedstuff can help prevent the build up of stones so I have purchased some but I have also read that it can cause burns if injested, in fact the packaging warns against injestion, so how do I feed this to my goats without hurting them???

·
merryoaks
4,123 Posts
Glad your boy is getting better. Here is the link to another thread about AC. http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f217/ammonium-chloride-128247/ I have never heard it burns and i have it for my boys. Do they have loose mineral? Mix the ammonium chloride with mineral at a rate of 1 1/2 lbs. ammonium chloride to 25 lbs. mineral and offer free choice so they can eat it when they need it. You can also put out baking soda and salt to encourage them to drink (if you haven't already) Good luck.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I would not put out baking soda if you are using ammonium chloride, it will neutralize it. And make due they are getting a good loose mineral. What type of hay are you feeding?? And wethers do not need any grain unless your planning on fattening them up a little for market.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the problem....there are no loose feed minerals available in the UK. I have Caprivite which is a top dress for feedstuffs but it goes mouldy if left for them to 'help themselves'. I tried a mineral lick (block) but they barely touch it and even then, it's not goat specific.

Their hay is actually hay and/or haylage from the local farm....said to be of good quality as she gives it to her racehorses.

I only give a cup of grain once a day in Winter to compensate for the lack of browse available once the trees have all shed their leaves. I have now stopped even that on the advice of the vet. He said a hay/haylage only diet from now on (plus browse)

·
Registered
362 Posts
You can try making your own mineral mix, I'm sure others have done it or try google. They usually contain close to 30% salt. Which will help them drink. I keep wethers and have had UC problems in the past. It's just so easy to give them grain when they love it so much. So I only feed my wethers grass hay and minerals and that's it. And one is turning 14 next week. Also your hay might not have the correct calcium/phosphorus balance. Good luck

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would have no idea where to start with making my own mix....any help?

I don't give them grain because it's easy or as a treat (though, as you said, it would be soooo easy cos they really do love it :-D) I give it purely to get some vitamins and minerals into them. The vet has suggested that the hay will be enough entirely on its own, along with browse, as we have such a rich, green environment however, it is also a deciduous environment about to go into a 'three month freeze' according to the news and weather reports, so I am concerned my boys will end up lacking in something.

Again, I can't change the hay either....that's what is available locally. There is another farm but their's looks very thin, straggly and dry.....as do their cattle!!

I know it sounds like I am rebuffing every idea....it's not that, I promise. I'm just trying to be honest about what I have open to me xx

·
I'm watching you
22,549 Posts
Can you get dried peas at the grocery? Whole or split doesn't matter. You could add 1/4 cup of dried peas to their daily grain to improve the calcium to phosphorus ratio. Then you can mix 1/2 teaspoon of AC per goat into their grain once a week to help "shock" clear stones that may be forming.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can get peas I'm sure.....does that add calcium or phosphorus? And are they only good added to the grain or can I feed them on their own as I am now meant to be cutting out grain altogether on the advice of the vet.

And is there another way of feeding the AC? I would like to avoid drenching if possible. And with no grain to add it to......?

·
I'm watching you
22,549 Posts
They add calcium and also give protein and good micro-nutrients. You could feed that tiny amount by it's self with out any harm. To feed the AC you could make something like dry oatmeal, peanut butter, and honey mixed so it's barely sticky and will form a little treat ball to put it in.

Oh, can you get dried kelp meal? That is really good for them and they love it so the AC could be mixed with that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts