The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any aliment that presents with UC type symptoms but isnt UC?

Got contacted by someone with a 5 month old INTACT buckling that is showing UC symptoms but no other physical proof. They had a vet come out and look the boy over. He actually emptied his bladder by injecting a needle into the bladder. I asked if the vet inspected the pee for crystals or cloudiness but have not gotten a reply yet. The buckling had a large amount of swelling around the sheath/penis area. The vet snipped the tip of the penis off but when I asked if they found any stones, the goat owner said they didnt look.

Diet consisted of milk upto 3 months rationed with alfalfa from 3rd month to transmission the kid. For the last two months the boy has been getting 2 scoops of grain (no sure but a general grain ill have to get more info on) a flake of hay a day (again, waiting on answer as to which kind of hay) divided between 3 5 month old bucklings and then free range forage. They are getting a mineral (and again, waiting on a reply with more details.) I have also asked about what their water hardness level is at.

To me though, other then a bit to much grain, I dont see anything that would cause UC to appear so soon in an intact buckling. Heck even with wethers I wouldnt expect it to show up already. Any and all input would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
Sometimes there is no reason to cause UC but it still happens...genetics could be an issue ...Some water supplies are too high in minerals as well or if he isnt drinking enough water..An ultra sound may reveal stones..

other reasons could be Bladder infection...??
Does he have a temp?

He could begin treating with AC, dropping feed and adding Hay...

·
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok got some answers. The vet did ultra sound him and I am kinda confused but the owner says it looked like there were crystals (sparklies) in the bladder. But no stones. Which that confuses me, though I havent had an Ultra sound done before so I have no idea how good the picture can get. But if there were stones enough to plug him, shouldnt there be more? Say in the bottom of the bladder?

GRAIN: Purina Noble Goat Grower 16% WITH ammonium chloride. 2 cups each boy in the morning
Hay: Alfalfa (Fresno California area) sprinkled with cob, calf manna and mineral. 1 flake at night for 3 boys.
Pasture brows branches and weeds, during the day.

Normal temp

·
Super Moderator
58,871 Posts
I would still treat him for UC with extra AC. You would have to look at everything and see if it is really 2:1 or 2.5:1 calcium to phosphorus. It may not be quite balanced enough.

I don't think they get enough AC in their feed. Helps but can't count on it.

·
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the vet didnt even suggest a treatment. Just poked his bladder with a needle to empty it and said if he is still stopped up tonight, they are going to put him down. The owner cant afford the full surgery and as most of the time the surgery doesnt fix it.

But I still cant help to think the evidence is pointing somewhere else. No stones on the ultra sound. Swollen sheath, a decent diet (still asking bout the water situation) AC in the grain, a decent mineral mix, an intact 5 month old boy... I just dont see how it could be UC.

·
Super Moderator
58,871 Posts
I would still find out if they are putting out free choice baking soda. If they are, they need to stop that for the boys at least.

But yes, sometimes even when you do everything right, things happen.

·
1,524 Posts
With that diet he should not have had UC, but stuff does happen when it shouldn't with animals. He might have had some sort of abnormality in his urinary tract that he was born with that is causing him problems. At his age, he is maturing so the defect may be made worse with growth.

A UTI will present like UC.

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
There are Silica stones as well. They are shaped like tiny little fangs and stick in to the tissue causing trauma, pain, and swelling. They can be caused from eating dirt and the use of DE in food.

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
Thats interesing Goat hiker...poor little guy...I hate unanswered questions! Wish some vets would be a bit more adventerous in exploring reasons and solutions...Sorry your friend is loosing the buck...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts