Urinary calculi

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by keren, Dec 20, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I recall speaking to a breeder who said whenever her boys look a little off, she routinely treats them with *something* I think orally, just in case it is the start of urinary calculi. I just cant remember what it was??? Anyone got any input? Chappy is looking down today and I dont think it would be calculi but just to be safe it wouldnt really hurt ...

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ammonium Chloride is what I think she is talking about. I don't really know the dosage of it. I haven't had to give it yet.

How is he acting off?

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I have ammonium chloride in block form for all the boys, I thought it was something else ... like something you might have in your kitchen??

He's just a little subdued, not eating as much not as active. I'm not really all that worried about him, it just got me thinking and this all popped into my head :)

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh, Apple Cider Vinegar. I always add some to my boys water. :)

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    How much do you give them?

I'm not 100% sure thats what she said :doh: but I have LOTS of a.c.v. from a horsey friend lol so may as well use it

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well I just put a splash in their water, I don't really measure it.

One goat book I have says to give a teaspoon a day in their feed. If you want to drench him with a tablespoon now it wouldn't hurt. I would water it down with something. That stuff burns on the way down. (Not a fun Experience)

If he was really having a problem with calculi then you would see him straining to pee and at that point you would use ammonium chloride.

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Yes, I unfortunately have had the pleasure of dealing with full blown urinary calculi - not pretty. So I knew he wasnt having that problem - no straining, no crying. It just got me thinking and it was bugging me what that breeder said she gave routinely, to any male that looked a little down. He's feeling better now, I hitched him up to the buggy last night and we went for a long drive, he didnt act crook at all. Just one of those days I guess. I have them too sometimes lol

I just thought other people might be interested to know, with our urinary calculi we have had good success with surgery; when the stone was stuck in the urethral process, we have taken that off and the buck/wether is quite happy. When the stone is further in, we have had success surgically deviating the penis - so the wether piddles closer to where his testicles would be, if that makes sense. Obviously wouldnt work on a buck if you wanted to continue to breed with him.