The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had any luck with successfully treating urinary calculi in a buck? He gets barely any feed but I found him screaming in pain. Dripping blood tinged pee. I have been giving him ammonium chloride. We have no vets around here so I have googled tons of videos about snipping the pizzle which I did and he was able to empty his bladder. After about 48 hours he went back to screaming In pain and can’t empty his bladder again. Anything else I can do?

·
8,168 Posts
Try massaging until you dislodge the stones. If he cannot pass urine and there is no vet, you may have to humanly put him down, as his bladder will burst and that will kill him. I am so sorry that you are going through this.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He eats hay that I buy locally. I feed my pregnant does grain and sometimes he will sneak bites of it. It’s the pellet form with ammonium chloride in it. And his water source is creek water that is constantly running down from the mountain

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He’s my absolute favorite goat so I want to exhaust all things I can possibly do before we decide to put him down. I looked at the pizzle again today and the end was very hard. I snipped just a tiny bit and he was able to urinate again. But anything coming out is blood tinged. He’s eating and drinking. No fever. He’s currently not acting like he’s in distress but I am not for sure if he’s able to urinate right now or not. It’s zero degrees and about 10 inches of snow on the ground and I try to sit with him in the barn off and on but I haven’t noticed yet him trying to pee.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Banamine is prescription only and there isn’t a vet around here. I have otcs like aspirin and Ibuprofen If that would help. When you say massage, where should I be focusing?

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Banamine is prescription only and there isn't a vet around here. I have otcs like aspirin and Ibuprofen If that would help. When you say massage, where should I be focusing?
Do you have any friends with cattle? They might have banamine or goat owning friends? I'd say meloxican would help with the pain but banamine also helps relax the muscles and reduces the swelling.
I'm so sorry your boys going through this. It's hard on both of you...
Hang in there

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
Is it grass hay?

Don’t add anything to water right now, he shouldn’t be filled with water.

I need you to give vinegar, but not apple cider vinegar. 1/4 cup of vinegar.

High doses of vitamin c. But not orange juice. Vitamin C for humans, like 2000mg, or fruit fresh for canning.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
It has officially been 48 hours that he can pee successfully. Full stream and doesn't seem in any pain or discomfort. With animals I'm always afraid of getting my hopes up, but I'm hoping he's on the mend
Oh good! I'm so glad! I can totally understand about being afraid to get your hopes up!

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
Good news!!!

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The tub of AC that I had didn’t have a dosage for mixing into water. So I took a small bowl of water and took about 1-2 teaspoons and stirred it in. I took a syringe (without the needle of course) and slowly squirt it into his back cheek so he would swallow and not breath it in. I had to make him erect and once he was fully “extended” there is a very skinny tube like structure at the very end that seemed hard and irritated. I snipped the very end of it carefully while my husband helped hold him still. I crushed up an ibuprofen and put the powder into a cheese cracker and gave that to him to help with pain.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts