Urine from the navel - 2 week old kid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RadioFlyer, Mar 11, 2008.

1. RadioFlyer

RadioFlyer New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Ohio
    I had a set of twins born recently. The doeling was dribbling urine out of her navel, it was dripping off the cord. She seemed very healthy otherwise so I thought I'd wait and see if this closed up, like it should have before she was born. Well, the cord dried out and fell off and I figured all was well. I picked her up to check teats and her entire tummy is damp with urine. I never see it coming out so it must be barely leaking - but it is leaking. She eats well, plays hard and is gaining weight. I'm not open to an expensive surgery, maybe a minor one. Anyone know much about this? :shrug:

Oh and I LOVE the smilies on this forum!!! :thumb: :stars:

2. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    I've never had this happen with goats before, had a puppy once though (she had a lot of other abnormalities too though) A think a vet visit may be in order here. Explain your situation to them, and pray for the best. I don't think it would be terribly hard to correct in theory, but with goats who knows! Good luck! :hug:

3. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    From what I've read about this happening, actual urine coming from the navel, is a congenital deformity where the "plumbing" is not hooked up correctly, and usually the prognosis is not good. Are you positive it's urine? I would definitely be taking her to see a vet.

4. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Northern Maryland
    Poor baby goat! Never had this happen to a goat yet but I had this happen to a colt once. He was peeing out of his umbi also. He was only a couple days old though. Vet gave it time to see if he would stop on his own. Kept a close eye on him and eventually he stopped and began using his wee wee instead. I'm fuzzy with the time frame though cause it was many many foals ago when I was a broodmare manager. I believe it was only a few days old and took about a week to stop. Can't remember the cause clearly but I also think it was because all the plumbing wasn't in working order either yet. I know the foal would have been put down if he didn't approve on his own. He wasn't even put on antibotics cause urine is sterile. I can see a boy peeing out his umbi but not a girl. Let us know what happens! Sorry I wasn't much help :(

5. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Is she pee out the right area too? If so I would keep an eye on it and put something like a antibiotic cream on it to help finish closing it up. I'm think something oil based will seal up the hole and force the urine out the right way which should help it heal. Should have asked before how big is the hole? I'm thinking small if not a vet visit may not be a bad idea. Shelly

6. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I had this happen with my deer and it did eventually stop after a few days.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW,I have never heard of that before. I sure hope you get a good answer soon. PLEASE keep us informed.

8. RadioFlyer

RadioFlyer New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Ohio
    This is one of the replies on another forum from a veterinarian:
    "It is probably a birth defect called persistent urachus. The urachus is a connection between the bladder and the umbilicus in a developing fetus that is supposed to shrivel up and become a ligament. If the connection doesn't regress, urine will leak out continuously, and the animal will tend to suffer from bladder infections. It might be fixable by surgery, if the urachus is not too large."
    I will be taking her to the vet to see if anything can be done.
    Thanks for the replies and I'll post an update.

9. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    Hope all goes well and you get good news from the vet. We will keep our fingers crossed. Please let us know how it goes.

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW, I sure hope you have a good outcome. Prayers to you and the goat :pray:

11. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Hope and pray everything works out for your little gurly! Di

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oh I hope everything goes ok! :pray:

13. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    So, do we know what happened at the vet yet? Poor baby.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    DI, I was going to ask the same thing. RadioFlyer, have you taken her to the Vet yet? If so what did they say? I am really pulling for you. I hope you have wonderful news for us.

15. RadioFlyer

RadioFlyer New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Ohio
    Sorry it took so long to report back. I wasn't able to get her to the vet (33 miles away down windy back roads) between the snow, rain, and my dad having open heart surgery. I DO have some good news to report though! I checked her one day last week and not only is she completely dry but the knot has gone way down too. She's doing very well, growing, eating, and playing. :leap: She'll be fine!

16. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I truly hope this is the end of her troubles. That is a good news update

I hope everything is ok with your father - thats scary

17. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    That is wonderful news. Like Stacey said I hope it truly is over. :clap:

I hope all went well for your dad's surgery. Is he doing ok? Prayers for a speedy recovery. :angel:

18. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Prayers coming for your dad! Glad the kid is better. :grouphug:

19. RadioFlyer

RadioFlyer New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Ohio
    The doeling is still doing well and thriving. :dance:
    Thank you for the prayers for my dad. Yes, he's doing much better now but still fighting a bad VRE infection. He should be getting out of the hospital the end of this week (maybe), but then needs to go to an extended care facility for continued treatment. It's been a rocky road for him but I think he'll recover almost good as new. This was his second open heart surgery since January. Thanks again!! :thumbup: