The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ewe that was acting weird today and might be lambing soon if not tonight (I’m going to check her soon). I was planning on giving her a CD-T vaccine on March 1st but if she is lambing soon I want to do it tonight. The only problem is I don’t have a new syringe. The only ones I have have been used for penicillin injections or deworming. Can I use it for the vaccine? I have new needles, of course.

*I know this is technically for sheep but I also need to vaccinate my goat so thought I’d post it here.*

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've had to do it before too. What I did was suck up some rubbing alcohol in the syringe and squirt it out a few times followed by flushing it with clean water. I don't know if that's proper, but I didn't have any problems.

·
Registered
316 Posts
In the old days we had glass syringes and you bought a box of needles. You had to boil and reuse, they weren't cheap and we tried all kinds of ways to sharpen the needles. Me and my animals approve of technological advances!

·
8,050 Posts
Wash out the syringes, rinse really well, then put rubbing alcohol in them for 15 min. Squirt it out and let it air dry. Like alwaystj9 said, in the bad old days, glass syringes and needles were re used until the needles were like balls on the end! (even the MD's did that- boy, those shots hurt! I swear they used a hammer to get those dull things in my backside, when I was a kid!) Ouch!

·
Super Moderator
82,111 Posts
I suck up and flush boiled water through the needle and syringe a few times from a bowel. Then take apart drop in the bowel and allow it to sit in the hot water until it cools down.
When it does, I put the needle and syringe together and plunge out as much water as I can then allow it to dry on a paper towel for a few days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts