Uses for Whey?

Discussion in 'Cookin' Corner' started by Realfoodmama, May 23, 2010.

1. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    So I have been making a lot of cheese, including ricotta from the whey, but I still end up with a lot of it left over.

Do you guys have any other uses for the whey :? ? I have read you can put it in bread, which I will try, but I also understand you can give it to livestock.

Do you ever feed it back to your goats? How about chickens? If so, how do you feed it?

Any other recipes would be greatly appreciated! After three batches of cheese I now have a gallon of whey in my fridge and I would hate to waste it

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Whey still has alot of nutrition in it, I use it on my garden around tomatoes and cucumbers.... if anything, and if I have a good bit left, the dogs enjoy it and I'll even dump it on the composting manure pile.

3. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    My chickens love it....pour it in a shallow bowl and get out of the way.

4. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    Oh I love the idea of putting it on the garden! What a great idea.

Will definitely be giving some to the chickens as well.

Thanks!

5. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Someone just mentioned that you can use it to can with. Anyone know about this?

6. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    The chickens love it! In a shallow pan as previously mentioned or if I have stale bread I am not using for anything else I will soak it and give to the chickens.

You can feed to pigs too if you have any.

Supposedly you can make a drink that is recommended for those with liver diseases, arthritis and anemia:
    1/2 c whey
    1/2 c filtered water
    juice of 1 lemon

A tablespoon in a little water is good for digestion.

Storey's even has a recipe for "lemonade"
    Strain 1 qt of whey
    6 T of sugar or honey
    Juice of 2 lemons
    Dash of nutmeg or cinnamon
    serve chilled

7. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    And I forgot... check out Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. It has all the uses for whey in lacto-fermentation. So pickling garlic or pickles - sauerkraut - etc.

8. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    You can use the whey for a soup base, and to make rice with. It tastes very good.

9. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    My friend uses it in whatever dinner She's making...to cook veggies in, in sauce,gravy, everything! I like to use it in bread...

10. .:Linz:.

.:Linz:. Look for me in the barn...

Our chickens love it as well! I've used it to boil rice and pasta in, and in the following bread recipe, originally printed in Home Cheese Making by Ricki Carroll:

English Muffin Bread

2 TB Sugar
    1 1/3 cups warm water
    4 packages or 4 TB active dry yeast
    Cornmeal, for sprinkling
    12 cups sifted all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    4 cups whey or milk
    4 tsp salt
    Dissolve the sugar in the water. Pour yeast into a large bowl. Add sugar water and let sit for at least 10 minutes. Meanwhile, grease four loaf pans and sprinkle with cornmeal. In a large bowl, combine 6 cups of flour and the baking soda. In a medium sized saucepan, combine the whey and salt and warm over low heat until just lukewarm. Stir the yeast mixture, then pour the warm whey into it. Stir to combine. Pour the yeast mixture into the flour mixture and stir. Add remaining flour and combine. This will take a few minutes, as it makes a very stiff, dry batter. Keep stirring until all the flour is absorbed.
    Preheat oven to 400*F.Spoon the batter into the loaf pans and press flat. Sprinkle the tops with cornmeal. Let rise in a warm place until the center is 1 1/2 inches above the rim of the pan. (The top of the stove is a good place to do this while the oven is preheating. Bake for 30 mins. Yield: 4 loaves.

So far, that's all I've done with it. The bread is really yummy!