The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
This is my first post. I'm new to goats and have 2 milkers, one doeling app 6 mos old. When I put them up at night (2 separate pens for the does) the kid keeps stealing too much milk. She stopped awhile but is getting big enough to push the does around. I think they gave up at night. The pens aren't large enough for them to keep her away..

Is there any hazard to putting a crate in the pen with the one she's bonded to (neither are her mom, she came as company for the Nigerian) at night? Any legs getting caught or so forth in an unsupervised crate??

and if this is ok.... how long before she leaves them alone lol

·
Registered
31,073 Posts
So to understand, You have two milkers and a 6 month old unrelated doe? The 6 month old steals milk or pushes the milkers away? Are the milkers smaller than the 6 month old? With two pens..are they side by side? Could the milkers share one and the 6 month ild go in the other?

Reactions: Pepper

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So to understand, You have two milkers and a 6 month old unrelated doe? The 6 month old steals milk or pushes the milkers away? Are the milkers smaller than the 6 month old? With two pens..are they side by side? Could the milkers share one and the 6 month ild go in the other?
I keep the two separate due to size. Alpine and Nigerian. The doeling is with the Nigerian (related by aunt lol) The night pens are 8 X 8 each... they free range all day. The does have a greater chance of escape in the day lol

·
Registered
31,073 Posts
I have both nigies and standard goats. They get along well even if penned. Does the Alpine bully the nigie or have you not been able to see how they do together in the pen? Or how would the 6 month do with the alpine?

·
Registered
31,073 Posts
I guess i should answer your actual question lol..
Depends on the crate. We have used a solid crate to keep babies safe at night..it only has the grated gate. However in hot months this can be too stuffy. If you use a wire kennel then as stated, legs can be caught. I wouldnt put a crate in the pen with the doe. Mine like to jump on top and such.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the Alpine is a bully. She's not as bad as she used to be but I would not put them in a small space. I'll tape up the ng and be sure the doeling can't get in with the Alpine. I just never knew you could do that. I watched a YT on it and seems easy enough.
Thank you all :inlove:

·
Registered
31,073 Posts
You could instead of tape make her a bra of sorts. Lots of ideas on line. But either should work.

Best wishes

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You could instead of tape make her a bra of sorts. Lots of ideas on line. But either should work.

Best wishes
Thank you again. I do worry about the tape causing any issues. I'll give it a try and if it doesn't work, will move onto a bra from there. I never realized how much milk the little gal was stealing until recently.

·
Fair-Haven
4,803 Posts
I have one that I have to tape. I keep an eye on that udder and milk as needed, dip and then re-tape. High producers cannot go without being milked out from time to time (decreasing grain ration and alfalfa). Usually you can go longer between milkings. Even with a bra - you cannot skip this step.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Thank you again. I do worry about the tape causing any issues. I'll give it a try and if it doesn't work, will move onto a bra from there. I never realized how much milk the little gal was stealing until recently.
I taped my milker's teats for months, and the only issue was that the skin got dry. I used bag balm at night, when the kid wasn't with her. Maybe you could put bag balm on after morning milking.

·
8,266 Posts
Use paper tape and if you tape after milking, make sure it is not too tight when the teat expands with milk.
I run a piece from udder down the teat, across the opening and up the other side to the udder. Then another piece, squeeze the teat, wrap around it from near the opening up. Don't make too tight. Leave a little turned back on itself piece at the end of the tape, so you can easily remove it.

Check in a few hours to make sure it is not cutting into teat.

Paper tape is easier on the teat to remove the next morning for milking.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Use paper tape and if you tape after milking, make sure it is not too tight when the teat expands with milk.
I run a piece from udder down the teat, across the opening and up the other side to the udder. Then another piece, squeeze the teat, wrap around it from near the opening up. Don't make too tight. Leave a little turned back on itself piece at the end of the tape, so you can easily remove it.

Check in a few hours to make sure it is not cutting into teat.

Paper tape is easier on the teat to remove the next morning for milking.
I used a band aid to go over the opening first. Then paper tape in a "ring" to hold it in. When I left a little turned back on itself, my goats used that to rip it off (kid or mom).

Reactions: Pepper

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi everyone. The tape is working well! I leave a bit of room at the very bottom of the teat, then make a round loosely over it. She only lost it once to the doeling. Daytime I leave her to breathe, then put it on at night when they're closed in together. She has much more milk and rest lol.

I know this is weird..trying to digest it myself. I use a milker. One day app a week ago she must have had a hair pulled or just not comfortable... her little butt hopped to the other side of the stand..and.............she put her foot on my arm... I thought this was odd and a fluke..
Nope. I shaved her udder with new clippers yesterday morning and one place wasn't comfortable..again..she hopped her butt over to the other side, put her hoof on my right arm... :upset:

She's a smart little girl... I'm learning.. it's nice that she lets me know that way. It's cute. I thought goats were livestock.. as my daughter says, "they're dogs with benefits" and get treated around here more like pets(rofl)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts