Using a grinder for hoof trimming

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by goathappy, Sep 10, 2010.

1. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Anybody ever try it? We were at the fair today and I was talking with a breeder friend there and we got to talking about trimming hooves and he said he stopped using shears and knives this summer after seeing another breeder use a grinder. So he got his grinder out, plugged it in and showed us how to do it, he did a goat in just 2 minutes and the hooves were so flat and perfect, I've never been able to do that with shears. He said its harder to cut them down to the point where they bleed because you can see it coming a lot quicker than you can with shears, and if you do get blood its just a little, whereas if you make a wrong cut with shears you've got a problem.

So next time we go to town we're getting a grinder for the goats, that was so nifty. :D

Just thought I'd share :)

2. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Hmmmmm....never would have thought of that for goat feet, but I have used a dremel grinder on dog nails. Works great so why not?????

3. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Was it the same kind of grinder as the dremel grinders?

Jan

4. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I was wondering that too????

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hmmm...I thought of using a dremel on my goats but my fear was the heat from the friction causing discomfort.

6. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I am not sure about that Liz. With the dogs nails it goes pretty quick cause their nails are small. Don't know about goats though.

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    A dremel tool would be too small for a goat's hoof and would heat up too quick since you'd have to use it for longer due to its size.

Here is something similar to what he used, I don't remember the brand, but it had a button on top right behind the head so you could hold it by the head for better control, rather than by the longer part: http://www.dewalt.com/tools/metalworkin ... w802g.aspx Its pretty much a 4 1/2" one without the handle that comes off the side. It does it quick enough that you really don't have to worry about heat friction, I mean just like four or five taps per hoof and a little bit on the side and he was done.

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Wait, are the handles removable on most grinders?

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    DH has 2 of those!! One is an angle grinder with an offset handle....might be too big to use though. I'll definately try the otjher out next time I trim hooves, my goats are used to the noise from clippers so I would think the motor noise from the grinder would'nt spook them.

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Cool beans! All you need to do is just tap a little and make sure you're parallel with the hoof, its super slick :D

11. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I have wondered about that sort of thing forever, but didn't know what to call it --- do they make different sizes and different coarse-nesses (new word)

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    4 1/2 inch is what he used, and he said thats the best size. As for coarseness I don't remember what he said(dad was paying more attention to that than I was I was like "Wow he just did that?!") But I think he said maybe medium coarse? He said find out what works for you, the blades aren't that much anyway.

13. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    good deal! I'm checking that out!

14. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Great tip Sarah. Thanks.

15. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    anyone want to make a video?
    I do hoof trimming service, this would be awesome

16. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Next time I trim I'll try and get a video, unless somebody gets to it before me :)