Using calcium drench to move labor along?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CaramelKittey, Jan 12, 2021.

1. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

Hi all! I have been reviewing kidding kit videos lately to prepare for our upcoming births and I saw something that I have never seen or heard of before - calcium drench. Supposedly it is supposed to help move labor along for a doe that is struggling with contractions or something like that. Does anybody have experience with this issue? Thoughts? I'm not sure how it could help but maybe I'm missing the obvious?
    Thank you so much in advance!

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Yes, I'll give some if I feel the doe needs it. I'll also give nutri-drench if they want it. It helps with the lamanchas especially.

3. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I give raspberry leaves and calcium gummies daily for a couple weeks before kidding so I don’t drench as a rule but would if the doe showed signs of needing it or developed milk fever after.

4. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't know it could do that! I have some in my kidding kit, but I thought it was only for milk fever. Thanks for posting this. For educational purposes (if OP, you don't mind me asking) How much would you guys recommend giving for a stalled labor?

5. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

Thanks all! I'll try to look for some and I'll keep it on hand just in case! How much should a doe get? Is it based off of weight or how much they are struggling? Thank you so much!

MadHouse and MellonFriend like this.
  6. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    Is there a certain brand/kind of calcium gummies you give?

MadHouse and CaramelKittey like this.
  7. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I just use any human calcium gummies. I think they are usually 500mg of calcium but my bottle is at the barn tonight.

8. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I use the ones I find at the grocery or CVS occasionally I’ll splurge and use the ones from GNC.

MadHouse, CaramelKittey and Ashlynn like this.