The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just listened to an episode of the podcast "For the Love of Goats" where the guest was a doctor who has been studying the use of copper oxide particles to deworm small ruminants. In the study they found that the copper was affective at reducing numbers of barberpole worms, but the copper only affected the worms for 72 hour after dosing. So, if you could dose a smaller amount of copper more frequently, you could use this method to help deworm your goats. For example, if you give your goats a 4 gram copper bolus it will help kill the BP worms for 72 hours, but after that it does no good. So instead you give the goat 0.5g-1g of copper depending on how deficient your goats are every three weeks and this way the copper can affect the worms better than if you gave the copper all at once. Interesting isn't it?

Here's a link to the transcript of the episode if you'd like to look it over yourself: https://thriftyhomesteader.com/copper-oxide-as-a-dewormer/

·
Registered
468 Posts
Very interesting. I've copper bolused my goats in the past, but didn't really see much improvement. So I experimented with opening one bolus each week and adding it to their loose mineral. I may not be doing any good, and I might be wrong, but I think it actually works better. I haven't had to worm them as much, and their coats look good.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will totally be trying to use this to help my BP issues. Unfortunately I just gave my does a whole bolus so have to wait on them, but my bucks are due so they'll be getting a smaller dose.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm doing 1.5 grams a month. I typically have to give copper every three months so I figured I'd try breaking that up into monthly doses. I got behind in my copper schedule before I started this though, so I'm not really sure how well it's working since my boys are having to build up their copper levels and not just maintain them. I might give them 2 grams next month instead and then give only one the next time to help them out more.

Let me know how it goes for you if you decide to do it. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts