Using Essential oils to worm

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by happybleats, Sep 11, 2016.

1. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Not if you use the correct ones. The specific ones for internal use and the safe brands. Use at recommended dosage as well. :):)

MadHouse likes this.
  2. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I would TOTALLY do this with my goats! My only problem is that they are SO expensive! 30$ each for 4 oils (I wouldn't get clove because I would accidentally give to a bred goat with my luck lol)

I am in love with the LOH though! I need to order another bag, I am almost out of my first bag!

I know I posted on here a while ago, but I am curious. I am going to start a goat deworming garden, just need to order seeds.
    Anyways, about how long would a 15ML bottle of ess. oil last on 8 goats? How long does a bottle last in your herd? Do the goats like it? To me, wrangling all of them every week isn't worth it! They love their herbal applesauce! They love fresh herbs!

Thank you all in advance!

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I have my two, but I feed essential oils more frequently than most direct so to be honest, probably not too different than dosing 8 goats!

Each bottle lasts me about 4-6 months maybe even more. I’m not joking here, they last quite enough to be worth their while!!

I put them in my applesauce with my herbs. I make the applesauce and then I use a spoon to make a little hole/crater, put the drops in that indent or else they go all over the place, put slippery elm on top to help soak it up, and then mix in to the applesauce. My goats LOVE it!!

Driver and Nigerian dwarf goat like this.
  4. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    Has anyone talked with their vet about EO use internally on goats? I know most vets and Doc's poo poo natural remedies, just curious as to their stances.

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Well, my vet doesn’t even support herbs - so essential oils would be a stretch. In my opinion, they cannot say they are unsafe for internal use because the oils we recommend are given internally for humans, dogs, and other animals. However, I doubt they would support the effectiveness of them. Maybe if you said you were using them ALONG with the vet’s recommendation, they probably wouldn’t care.

Nigerian dwarf goat and Driver like this.
  6. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Hi all, I think that DoTerra has changed the name of DigestZen to ZenGest.

7. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Question- I recently started breeding my girls. We suddenly have had warmer weather and a ton of rain, causing a worm bloom. Worst I've ever had.

Am thinking of using EO to battle them.

Is wild orange the same as bitter orange?

8. Champion Fence Jumpers

Champion Fence Jumpers Active Member

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Hi! I don’t know the answer for your question but hopefully someone on here can help you!

@happybleats @NigerianDwarfOwner707?

Are you planning on using just EO’s to deworm? Or do you have a dewormer and just want to add EO to the regimen?

MadHouse likes this.
  9. lottsagoats1

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    In addition to.

Another question- anyone use wormwood as a natural dewormer? I have that stuff growing crazy wild on my property.

As I was scrolling back through this post, I noticed someone posting about oregano. While this isn't about using it for worms, let me tell you something it did for my herd.

A few years ago I just had standard goats-Lamanchas and Nubians. I bought a Nigerian buck to breed minis. I found out that he was extremely well bred, so I decided to get him a few equally nice does. I found a girl who was selling a few of her well bred does, as she was downsizing. The does were all tested and clear and not really extreme pricing, so I bought a weanling doe to begin with. I got her home and quarantined in a horse stall, away from my other goats. About 3 days in, she got sick. I treated her for pneumonia (per my vet). I let the previous owner know. It took forever for her to get better. In the mean time, half my standard herd came down with it and I lost 1 of them. There had been NO contact between the new doeling and my resident herd, I even did the new one last, and never wore the same clothes.

Then.....the previous owner sent me a message, She had lost 3/4 of her herd to this!!!!! She had 2 of them necropsied and just received the results- they had 3 different forms of pneumonia, one of which is almost impossible to cure and was told she needed to cull her entire herd. AGH!!!!!!!!! The results made mention of the lungs being almost totally liquefied due to them breaking down so badly.

I got a copy of the lab results and went to my vet. He suggested hitting them hard and heavy with, I forgot. (I am at work, this was 5 years ago and I am old LOL) {I am home, it was BioMycin, but I am still old!}. He also said maybe I should just cull. I couldn't do it, I had raised all from birth as bottle kids. So I treated. Nothing. I lost another one, my very best Nubian doe and her unborn kids. After losing her, I did even more research and found that triple oregano EO just may help. While I waited for it to come in, I started feeding the sick ones regular dried oregano. Within 2 days their fever was down, their symptoms had cleared and they were acting normally!!!!!! I kept them on it for 2 weeks just in case. Then I find that many of the commercial pork, poultry and beef farmers were adding oregano oil to their feed instead of antibiotics!

I am now sold. This form of pneumonia can also show up as mastitis. Well, the oregano also helps clear that up when fed orally! It's amazing and I am so impressed. Just thought I would throw that out there since it was mentioned as a treatment for worms also.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    HMNS, MadHouse and happybleats like this.
  10. Feira426

Feira426 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    There is wormwood in the monthly herbal dewormer blend that I use, but the directions suggest against using that blend for pregnant animals, as it can sometimes cause problems. Something about it promoting menstruation, I think, which you obviously don’t want in a pregnant doe.

I use it on all my other animals though, and the pregnant ones get the other blend.

MadHouse likes this.
  11. lottsagoats1

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Thank you Feira! I let the wormwood grow crazy all over my place because it repels ticks. Now I have another use for it!!!!!!!!!

I have a still, I wonder if I distilled it as an eo if it would work as well?

odieclark, Feira426, HMNS and 2 others like this.
  12. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Monthly? Which one are you using only monthly?:what:

Iluvlilly! and MadHouse like this.
  13. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Oregano oil has proved itself a powerful antibiotic. Feeding the plant is great too. It works wonderful for both infections and parasites when used internal.

Wild orange and bitter orange both come from the peel of oranges but each from a different viarety. Im thinking as a dewormer either would work fine.

odieclark, Iluvlilly! and MadHouse like this.
  14. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I would say wild orange and bitter orange or just plain orange would all be okay!

Molly's. I'm guessing.

Garlic is a really powerful antibiotic, but oregano oil is awesome too!!

Debunking the myths of wormwood: https://www.firmeadowllc.com/blog/category/wormwood

odieclark, MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  15. Feira426

Feira426 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    Yes, Molly’s. I get two types - a weekly blend without wormwood and a monthly blend with wormwood. For the pregnant animals I just use the weekly blend, per Molly’s suggestion.

I’ve had fecals done only twice, but both times my vet said no worms. I don’t use the herbs as often as some people, as I just don’t seem to have a lot of trouble with worms out here. It probably helps that my goats love eating garlic.

16. odieclark

odieclark Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Wow. Oregano,.. starting a shopping list!♥️

MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  17. odieclark

odieclark Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2016
    MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  18. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I have not used this form.. but should help. I like feeding dried oregano from our garden as well. Oregano is good stuff. Garlic is great for immune support too.

odieclark and MadHouse like this.
  19. lottsagoats1

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I can't get any of mine to eat garlic. I have to load the cloves into a bolus gun and shove it down their throats. I did that while trying to fight that pneumonia, unfortunately, it didn't help.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  20. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    It didn’t work because garlic must be fed crushed, chopped, or well chewed. It cannot be “pilled.”

I have a whole list of ways to feed garlic. I guarantee I’ll find a way to get it in your goats. Never met a goat I can’t do that for.

1. Whole cloves (goats take them as treats)

2. Whole cloves coated in molasses or honey

3. Suggestion #1 but tossed with feed

4. Suggestion #2 but tossed with feed

5. Crushed or chopped garlic in feed

6. Suggestion #2 but crushed or chopped in feed

7. Crushed garlic mixed with a teaspoon of applesauce

8. Crushed garlic mixed with a teaspoon of mashed bananas

9. Crushed garlic mixed with a teaspoon of pumpkin puree

10. Suggestion #7, #8, or #9 with Slippery Elm Powder added

11. Crushed garlic mixed with a bit of flaxseed meal and molasses to form a ball

12. Suggestion #11 can be shoved into the mouth of a goat a few times forcefully if they don’t like it at first

13. Suggestion #11 can also be tossed into feed, or broken up slightly, then mixed with feed.

14. Garlic can be put into a peanut hull

15. Take a banana slice about an inch thick, scoop out the middle leaving a bit on the bottom, stick the clove in (or crushed garlic) cover the top, and offer to the goat or forcefully put into the goats mouth until they realize it is tasty.

In emergency (non-regular) situations

16. Crushed finely and mixed with water to drench carefully

17. Crushed finely and mixed with juice (carrot, fruit) to drench carefully

18. Crushed finely and mixed with olive oil to drench carefully or feed from a spoon

odieclark and Iluvlilly! like this.