Using fertilitzer on my lawn

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by PotterWatch, Apr 5, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    My husband wants to put some fertilizer on our lawn. Our goats just roam our backyard, so they walk on the lawn sometimes, but they don't really eat it (though when we put out some seed, they did want to eat that). He has a bag of Scotts Organic Choice Lawn Food he wants to use. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this. I tried looking up some information on the Scotts website, but it is pretty much useless. I couldn't even get the label information to pull up :roll: . Thanks!

http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/produ ... d=cat50016

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    really not positive ... :scratch:
    I would maybe water it down into the ground as often ...as you are suppose to.......
    and make sure it is good and worked into the ground... before you put any goaties on it..... :shrug: If someone else ...has a better idea on it...please... we would love your input..... :wink:

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    That's what I was thinking. Perhaps I could put them away a little early tonight, he can put on the fertilizer and water it well a couple times tonight, then I could water tomorrow before I let them out again... I just don't know.

4. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I would just let the goats out of he lawn and not fertilize, the goats will do that for your as they walk around :wink:

5. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Yep goat berries and pee are a wonderful fertilizer. I reaad the label...nothing in there is bad for the goats, but still I would let them do it for you.

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    Yeah, they already roam around the backyard but strangely, they don't care for being on the grass. We have grass, concrete, and gravel and they spend 95% of their time on the concrete, even walking on the concrete borders where they can to avoid being on the grass. Odd goats.

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    now that is...odd.... :scratch: my goats will be all over it.... :wink:

8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    Yeah, we were kind of surprised they avoid the grass so much. I think perhaps that my two adult does were never on grass when they were growing up, just dirt lots or something, so they just don't know what to do with the grass. Of course their kids are learning from them, so the kids play mainly on the concrete as well. At least it's easy to clean up after them on the concrete!

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is so true...LOL

one way you may get them to go on the grass ...when you want them to... is maybe put some hay or something they like.....in the middle of it... :wink:

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hmm odd goats you got there!

mine love running around and eating our lawn.

11. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    LOL goats afraid of grass :slapfloor:

They would get along with my bichon who also hates the grass.