The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a picture of the net I got- I am using it to make an area in the garden for the goaties to eat down the salmon berry, black berry and salal and redwood in the area.
The goats are really leary of getting near it- I have to walk into the area before they will come into it. So far so good.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Wow!! Please let us know how it works for you!! I did check out the website and it seems to be an affordable, moveable fence...mine haven't been around electric ever so I don't know if it would work on my kids...my plan was to get that plastic safety/snowfence and make a pasture area for them to clean up the hillside...it would work for my girls though I'm not sure about the boys....but then again...typical men they are once they have full bellies they seem to be "lost in the food" and not so much interested in the girls :slapfloor:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The kids have not been exposed to hot wire either- I have it running around the top of the woven wire fencing but they are too small to reach it. So it was a surprise to them that the fence bit them. Tim had seen this previously as the breeder she went to last year uses it.
The first thing the kids do with any fence is to put their front feet up on it. That is why anything like this needs to be hot- otherwise the goats will knock it down. It is simple hot string and can't support weight.
I got it from PremireOne.com. I got the poultry fencing as I was told that the wider spacing allows kids to sometimes stick their heads through and get stuck getting shocked. This spacing is too small to allow that to happen.
I connected it to the hot wire running on the fencing. The site has a portable battery charger for places away from existing sources. But I luckily didn't need it.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After using it a week- I really like it. It was so much easier to put up and take down than the step-in post with poly string running back and forth. I know it was not much of a test but I had no problems with either the babies or the big goats.
Next week or so, I will clean a path in the woods and try it there.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry Stacey- Di gave the correct address.
I have now moved it to another location- went up fast again. The ticket to this is to do it like they say folding it rather than rolling it up. The other thing is that I have used are temporary step-in posts with it a lot. Even though the spread between the built-in posts is 8 feet, I have wanted to change directions a lot to weave it around trees and such. You really need the extra posts for that. The other thing I have now tried is to use the step-in posts to run the hot wire to places that are not close to the existing hot wire I have. Sort of a hot wire extension cord. It seems to be working ok too.

I also got the shorter lengths -100ft or less- because they are easy for me to carry. My friend said that the 180 foot lengths were hard for her to pick up as they need to be. I just string them together.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It works for me with my old parmak charger. But I don't use long lengths of this fence so maybe it would if you had a lot of fence to charge- I just don't know.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
what type of fence charger are you using? I am working on purchasing one of these and I need a charger. I know that goats need more of a shock then horses so what do I need to look for in a charger? (I tried to learn about electricity but it was a fruitless effort :oops: )

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a Parmak 110 v low impedance charger Module Mark 6 with a 30 mile rating on it. Wow did I over buy! But when I bought it I had high tensile wire and ran the electric fence over reach strand of wire on both sides so the electric wire did run a lot farther than you would think with such a small place. At that time I needed 3 grounding rods to get a good kick out of it. I pulled them out when I redid the fencing with woven wire. I now have one.
I think it said in their literature about not using low impedence charger but I too have never had a firm grip on this meaning either. It worked fine. When I ran it to the electronetting, I used an insulated handle to attach it to the hot wire at the top of the permanent fence and I disconnected it there each time I let the goats into their night quarters.
I can tell you that my charger has quite charge to it- one time the wire came loose and laid on the woven wire- I got quite a knock when I touched the fence about 30 feet away,
I don't think that you need such a large charger unless you have a long fence.

One of the reasons I like the net I got was that the spacing between the wires is 3" and the cross supports are close too- so the kids didn't even think to try to push through it- the checked it out cautiously and got a zap on the nose- never saw them get close to it again- in fact it took a couple of days for the temptation of grazing got them to go within a couple of feet of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts