The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Kidding season is coming up and I’d like to be prepared. In the case I have to pull kids I heard you need to give them uterine bolus afterwards.
What would you recommend???

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I only give them a UB when I have to go in and there is a problem, but they are great to have on hand, reduces the need for Penicillin if you can prevent an infection

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Well you can if you want to. I only use them if there is anything that I feel will cause a infection. Myself I do not consider putting my clean hand in a doe to be a huge risk. If there was mud on my hands or something like that maybe. But things like retained placenta, dead kids, when I found just bones and skin in a doe, those kinds of things.
But I think giving a uterine bolus is a better idea then a round of antibiotics just because one put a clean hand in there.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
I use uterine bolus, if I go in.
Or a kid was born dead or the doe has an odor.

About any uterine bolus (afterbirth bolus) would work, I use the cattle ones.

Attachments

·
8,175 Posts
I break the cattle bolus in half and place both as deep inside the uterus as possible. You can also use distilled water, a feed tube and syringe and disolve the boluses and squirt into the uterus, but the boluses themselves work just fine, they dissolve pretty rapidly.

·
Registered
30,611 Posts
A warm Vinegar and water flush with tea tree added would work well too.

·
Registered
30,611 Posts
just white vinegar : )

·
Registered
30,611 Posts
What size mixtures do you mix of each to put up there? Recipe please. :)
I would mix about 1 cup warm distilled or boiled then cooled water with 1 cup white vinegar and * 5-10 drops quality Tea tree (Melaleuca) ess. oil. You can also add Lavender eo.

Use a sterilized large syringe, no needle; turkey baster; new hair dye bottle or pic nic style mustard bottle..flush until fluid runs pretty clear.

*found some notes: edited Ess. oil drop amount

1 - 17 of 17 Posts