Vaccinating a 1 week old auction goat?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Nubiansrus, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    A friend got two Nubian kids at the auction. They are about a week old. I thought you didnt want to vaccinate til after 3 weeks. But they are worried cause they from the auction. Should they vaccinate now, and what should they vaccinate for?

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If she is planning to keep them separate from the rest then there is no need to vaccinate til they are older. Anti toxins are really the only thing that would benefit them but at just a week old I wouldn't think they would be prone to anything detrimental. I would however check the cord stumps and see if there is any rawness at the base, and use iodine on them only to safeguard gainst an infection if they werent dipped at birth.

3. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008

Thank you. I thought so but didnt wanna tell her wrong and wanted to make sure I was getting it right.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    at one week the CD/T vaccine wouldnt be effective. I do believe teh same goes for the pasteruella pneumonia vaccine.

5. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    If you can get ahold of it I would give them some CDT antitoxin and some Poly Serum or Bovi Sera. Thats really the only thing that would be effective at this age.

And you vaccinate normally at 2-3 months.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I agree, I would NOT give them anything until the baby is at least 4 weeks old. Just watch to make sure they do not over feed them and give them a CDT at 4 weeks, 8 weeks and 12 weeks.