The Goat Spot Forum banner

Vaccinating Kids ??

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Dwite Sharp 
Hello,

first, I'm no friend of vaccinating young animals before it's needed. Other people might think differently.

Why?

It's known from dogs that the antibodies passed via the colostrum from mother to pup will effectively block vaccines for several weeks (up to 12 weeks) after birth until they are "used" up and the pups own immune system will start working properly. So every vaccination given within this period is basically useless and has to be repeated.

I don't doubt that there's a similar time frame in goats as they also get colostrum from their mothers but I'm quite sure that nobody bothered to do studies on this yet.

Second - every vaccine includes heavy metals: aluminium and a quicksilver derivate that can be harmful to young brains and nerve tissue (especially the quicksilver) because, the younger the animal is the less shielded with protective tissue are nerves and brain. Depending on the vaccine, formaldehyde and/or antibiotics that can cause damage to hearing or bone structure are also included (so check the label of the vaccine carefully!).

Therefore my opinion is to weigh carefully the risks and benefits of vaccinating as soon as possible. Maybe it would be better to say "as soon as adviseable".

fivemoremiles said:
the fear of trace amounts of metals in the vaccine is Illogical to me. Worrying about hearing loss and the little bone lose that MIGHT happen by giving vaccines. I just cannot comprehend that thought proses.
Well,

it maybe because if you haven't encountered loss through illness but loss/suffering from vaccination.

If you consider the still active praxis of yearly vaccination the amount of quicksilver and aluminium - that will be stored in the body - will sum up to a "nice" amount. Quicksilver will also pass the placental border and the next generation is at risk of a quicksilver poisoning already.

Having seen several horses that suffered from incureable lung damage after one flu shot too many, dogs with autoimmune diseases, cats with tumors that have clearly been caused by vaccines.

As I said, it's about weighing the risks.

If you say that the antibodies are gone as soon as the colostrum is done I would like to hear about your sources because in dogs and cats studies have proven, that antibodies will persist in the body of the pup longer than the colostrum.

I want my goats to be around me for 12-15 years, to grow slowly and healthy, not to die of cancer and, yes, not to die of preventable diseases. But all together makes me more sensible for the risks of vaccinating too early/too much.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/pu ... n-studies/

granted, many goats don't live a life as long as a dog or a cat but will be butchered much sooner.

fivemoremiles said:
the immune systems of a sheep and goat are different too.
How so? Do they not develop immunity after exposure to an infectious agent? If the immune system is so different from cats and dogs, why should the same principles of vaccination work = introducing an infectious agent artifically to prompt an immune response?

I would still like to know how you know that the duration of antibodies from colostrum in goats is so much shorter that in dogs. Do you know of studies on that subject?

OK,

so you know that vaccinating 30 days before birth is not effective enough to create antibodies.

Have you ever have some of your lambs tested how high the titer for clostridium haemolyticum (to name just this one) is BEFORE you vaccinate them?

What's interesting is that in Germany and Switzerland the recomendations for this vaccine are to vaccinate 2-3 weeks prior to birth (not 30 days).

I had some time today to google a bit.

this study is about the prevalence of maternal antibodies against peste des
petits (I'd have to translate that) from vaccinated mothers. The tested lambs showed no antibodies after 75 to 90 days.

The book "Diseases of Sheep" mentions a immunity from maternal antibodies against sheep pox for up to 6 months.

And in CAE-testing it is mentioned not to test for the first 6 months because remaining maternal antibodies can lead to a false positive result

There are several infections, against which immunity (either own or maternal) isn't lasting or will buckle when challenged (bluetongue being one).

This study mentions the passive proctection against clostridium perfringens from maternal antibodies for 29 days.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2895443

The studies also mention that the amount of maternal antibodies that are passed is individual and can vary from animal to animal.

Dave,

please do me the courtesy not to label my postings as flawed. I have spent years doing my due diligence and research - as far as available - on vaccination and their pros and cons.

I also believe that, if an owner is unsure about any procedure to be done on his/her animal that he/she should know about all risks and benefits involved.

as I'm not a native English speaker I don't see how I could keep up with you if you take excemption at such translation quirks like heavy metals vs. toxic metals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.