Vaccinating?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by capriola-nd, Jul 25, 2008.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Okay, so I am seriously considering and reading up on not vaccinating our goats anymore for entero. Can I get some opinions/suggestions/advice? We have a small herd, I think, (is 13 small?) so management is fairly easy, our goats get free-choice pasture and grass hay, grain in the morning, usually about a cup each, no grain at night.

We've never had a problem w/ entero, so vaccinating has only been as a preventative. I was thinking of continuing to give the CD&T to pregnant does 4-5 weeks before kidding, to help the kids w/ their first couple weeks, especially because of disbudding. Or maybe I should just give a tetanus antitoxin before disbudding?

Anyways, I am totally open to advice, so please share! Thanks!

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i stay very up to date on my vaccines. we dealt with tenus in a nubian whether a few years ago and it was absolutly horrible. I never want to go through that again. My pregnant does get cdt about a month before they kid, kids get one at one two and three months. Dry yearlings and bucks get a yearly booster.
    Now i do show, so that is one of the contributing factors to my vaccinating. you never know what you an pick up at a show. all it takes is one little cut. i also keep c and d antitoxin on hands at all times, you never know when someone might get out knock the lid off the feed bin and have a hay day. personally i have never had a problem with this but recently i had a friend lose three milkers due to them getting into the grain. they hadnt had they cdt and she didnt have any c and d on hand. Byt the time she called asking for it it was too late.
    Just my personal experience this is only my two cents, only you can decide what is right for your goats and you.
    beth

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I vaccinate. I worry a lot about tetanus and would feel horrible if anyone got it, since it is so preventable. I know of a goat breeder near me who almost lost a goat to tetanus. The goat lived, but so far is blind. I just don't want to take the risk with my guys. I also keep CD and tetanus antitoxin on hand just in case. I also always keep Epi on hand in case of reactions to the antitoxins and vaccines.

I also have a friend who does not vaccinate any of her herd. She just keeps cd antitoxin on hand and gives it whenever she needs to. So far she has had good luck with it. She also does a lot of natural remedies.

4. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    I have never had entero or tetanus. I think a lot of factors play in to it. When I kept one to two animals they did not get vaccinated. But with the herd and the different stress factors, different ages of animals, feed changes, bucks stress during breeding, does stress during heat and being around the bucks, more chance of injury and bringing new animals into the herd. I really don't want to take a chance since it is so cheap of prevention. I know several breeders who don't vaccinate but have no idea if they have more problems since they don't. I know horses are proned to tetanus and how cheap it is to vaccinate for compared to treatment and the high death rate. (seen several horses die from tetanus and it is not nice). I have put too much money into the goats to take a chance.

5. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I personally do not vaccinate. Tetanus has to have the right enviroment to grow in. We have no horses and if our goats every would get an injury deep enough for tetanus to survive I would give a shot of Antitoxin. And I believe Entero can be prevented, whether I am right or not...