vaccination lump? it opened...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by minibarn, Jan 26, 2011.

1. minibarn

minibarn Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    i just found a small lump on my doe's neck just about where she got her vaccination shot 3 weeks ago. would it appear a little while after having the shot or would it have come immediately at the time of the shot? it's very small and sorta' soft and movable. :?

2. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Re: vaccination lump?

That happens to me all the time when I take my goats to the vet!

3. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

Yes, totally normal--was it a CD/T vaccination?

4. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada

yes, it was CD/T. we had a doeling with a hard, little lump immediately after giving the shot and it stayed for months. this lump is soft but about the same size as that one was. it must have come a little while after the shot. i'm really hoping that's what it is.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Yep...they can fester up..... normal.... :wink:

6. pelicanacresMN

Also, you can sometimes prevent the lump from appearing by rubbing the vaccination site for a few minutes after giving the vaccination.

7. Desert Viking Ranch

Desert Viking Ranch New Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Arizona

Agreed. The first few times I gave CD/T shots my does had a small lump. After I started rubbing the spot right after giving the shot for about 30 seconds or so I have not seen a lump yet.

8. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada

thankyou for the reassurance. my husband does the shots while i hold the goat and he usually rubs it a little after but maybe not enough this time. how long does it usually last?

9. pelicanacresMN

Most of them seem to disappear within a month or two but I had one doe that took all summer before it finally disappered. I always try to vaccinate in the same area on each goat so you know if a lump appears in that area it's most likely from the shot. I've heard that a lot of people give shots in the armpit area so it's not noticable.

10. rrooster76

rrooster76 New Member

Jan 29, 2011
    East Central Minnesota

anyone know if there is any way to get away from the lumps?? I give my injections in the arm pit and rub them for a few minutes even and still get them.. My does last year still had them 3-4 months later. At the fair, during the vet check they questioned me about CL??? Kind of nervous about vaccinating the kids for fear they'll get "questioned" as CL and sent home..

Does anyone have any other tips or suggestions for administering them??

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

It is a reaction to the injection site... if you have rubbed it and it still comes up... there is really not much you can do about it.....and... if you are giving it in the armpit area...at least you know.....what it is.....the fair should know better...with it being there....it isn't very bright of them..... :p

12. rrooster76

rrooster76 New Member

Jan 29, 2011
    East Central Minnesota

I did go online and ordered the Colorado serum. After reading some of the other forums I thought I'd try this.

13. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada

this vaccination lump has opened. i just checked it last night and it looked like it had just opened yesterday or the day before. i read on fias co farms website it can come to a head and pop and it's not contagious. inside was a white paste that i sorta tried to clean out and it had no smell. does this still sound normal for it being from a CD&T vaccine a month ago?

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Normal...I've had the lumps come to a head and break, wash it out well with gentle iodine to remove all the nasty stuff and it will scab over.

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Liz is right...no worries.... :thumb:

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Besides the colorado serum I have also started doing 1cc under each arm pit. I do it there so when they walk it will also help move the medication around.

17. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

May 18, 2010
    Fairplay, MD
    I was told by some other breeders they give CDT IM so there is not a lump. Some bottles do say IM or SQ. I have not tried it yet but sounds like it might be worth trying.

18. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I give all my CDT IM -- it does avoid lumps, thank goodness!