The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Scott and I am new to the goat industry. I was wondering what you guys use for your annual vaccination protocol? What do you vaccinate your does with, kids at birth, etc? Thanks in advance!!

· Banned
5,939 Posts
I vaccinate with either Bar Vac (1st dose 2 weeks prior to banding, 2nd at banding) or tetanus antitoxin (1 dose at banding) when I band, but that is it. I always use a new needle on each kid, also.

· Registered
315 Posts
I vaccinate with CDT Toxoid(BarVac or GoatVac normally) the dose is 2mL subq(under the skin)
Pregnant does: 30 days before kidding
Kids: at 4 weeks and again at 8 weeks
Wethers/Bucks/Dry Does: 1 time a year usually in spring.

I also vaccinate for Pasturella(pneumonia) because we show and travel. Dose is 2mL subq.
Does/Bucks/Wethers: Once a year
First Vaccine/new goats: Once and then again 4 weeks later
Kids: Once at twelve weeks than again four weeks later(if we still have them that long)

Market wethers don't get Pasturella vaccine as it is a 21 day meat withdrawl and I don't want to risk anything. Plus they don't travel to shows with us so they arent at as high of a risk.

· Administrator
96,026 Posts
Good answer guys. :)

Welcome Scott, glad you are here :)

The only one I give is CD&T , I will give it to my preggo Does at 1 month prior to kidding, so the kids are protected for a while after born, then, I will start the kids after born at 2 month old, then, give the booster shot 21 to 28 days later, 2cc's no matter or size age, they then, are good for a year. Some will give it 2 x a year.

All breeders are different so use your best judgment on the other vaccine's.

· Super Moderator
16,603 Posts
A month before kidding I vaccinate CDT and triangle 10 I also give vit. A and d and started Bose. When the kids are born I give 3 cc of CD anti toxin and bar guard 99. When I disbud I give tetanus anti. Then start them on their first CDT 11 days later then so it again 21-28 days later. If they are doelings that I'm keeping at weaning they get the triangle 10.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.