The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do you vaccinate calves. I tried googling it and all I find is pre weaning. We bought 2 calves and lost 1, dont want to loose the other. Really not sure on the age to be honest. Guy we bought them from said the one was only a week old, now he says shes 5 weeks. Ugg

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Well it depends on what you are wanting to vaccinate for. The whole before weaning thing is because you want them vaccinated against, what ever issue are most common in your area and or herd, before the stress of weaning because that usually has a tendency to bring things on.
But there are some vaccines that it is recommended for a few months old and there are some that can be given as young as birth.
Do you know what the one died from?

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
When do you vaccinate calves. I tried googling it and all I find is pre weaning. We bought 2 calves and lost 1, dont want to loose the other. Really not sure on the age to be honest. Guy we bought them from said the one was only a week old, now he says shes 5 weeks. Ugg
With Hope i think she was four months old when we vaxxed her. It was the covexin seven or eight i think. Then boostered her six week later later. And will do yearly. Round here blackleg is a bad thing and happens often if they are not vaxxed for it. And the covexin has bl in it along with tetanus and some other stuff as well. There is just a tetanus fax for them that i would def do if you do not have problems with black leg there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts