The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious who does and doesn't vaccinate and what preventative measure those of you who don't take and what you keep on hand in case of emergencies.

All of my current goats are vaccinated. My stance on it so far has been "better safe than sorry". Some people seem to have great luck without vaccinating and then you hear the horror stories where people lose 6 goats in a year.

Fir Meadows is where I bought my most recent bag of herbal wormer and she has a blend called "ClostridEaze" that has supposedly worked in treating the disease. I ordered a bag to have on hand because I am a huge worry wart and like to have everything just in case. I also bought her book because I love to waste all my non-existent spending money on goat related things.

Was also wondering what everyone's stance was on keeping the antitoxins on hand instead of regularly vaccinating? Is it practical? I would be concerned that by the time you noticed anything it might be too late. Would this work in the later stages of the disease? I had a doe develop lock jaw after being wounded.. would an antitoxin have worked that far along?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I vaccinate. Pretty much like you I want a little bit of safety for things that can go south so fast. I use cdt and pneumonia vaccine. I remember as a kid we had a little goat that got tetanus and he got it super fast and died even faster by the time we realized what was going on. Over eating is the same, not much warning then dead. The pneumonia vaccine I only started using a few years ago. At first I had only a few cases of actual pneumonia that I jumped on and saved them. I also set threw steps to try and keep my goats safe. No new goats in with the herd till a month went by and so on. Then silent pneumonia came in and realized the horror stories of it was true. I don't like not having a chance to save one of my animals.
I do also keep antitoxins on hand. I have cd antitoxin. It's the same as with a vaccine, anyone acting off why not better safe then sorry. Same thing with the tetanus antitoxin. That little goat we lost when I was little got tetanus after we banded him so I now just give a shot of the antitoxin when handing. There's really no antitoxin for pneumonia lol but I still keep antibiotic on hand.
A friend of mine does not vaccinate for cdt, she used to and still lost kids to over eating so she says it just gives her a false sense of safety. I haven't run into that, I THINK I have only lost one doe to over eating so I'll keep vaccinating

·
Registered
30,655 Posts
I no longer vaccinate for anything. When we did cd&t I still had problems with gut issue illness including loosing one to enterotoximia. Now we do mainly herbs and ess. Oils. We feed plenty of fresh garlic...feed non gmo feed alflafa....basically helping them be strong to fight against whatever may come.it was ahard transition as the body relys on vaccines after a while. I do keep meds available for emergency but are not my first go to but will use them if needed. For ex...last night my goats broke in the barn and ate a bag of oats..some barley and a few cow pellets...one has the poops and one was doing alot of stretching and yawning...gave everyone an oil blend instead of my usually cd Antitoxin or Milk of magnesia..although i had them on hand if needed....this morning everyones fine. (11 goats total)..i have heard praises about fir Meadows clostrideaze blend..i think i will get some. I use land of havilah wormer..and do terra ess. Oils. Im really likeing what we are seeing as a result. But i warn..the transition is not for the weak at heart lol...unlike chemical treatment...its not one shot and wait...its every few minutes in crisis up to once a week for wormer...its a lot of work....but we made this change in our home way before we did in the barn...it just made sense. We use them on our horse...donkeys..goats..chickens..rabbits...cows...everyone. again..i do keep meds handy incase i need them.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
All of my current goats were born (the oldest in 2010) here and they have never been vaccinated. We have never lost an adult goat and they are rarely ill at all. (I am not bragging and am knocking wood as I type.) They get garlic and cloves with their grain. They get wormwood 3 days a month. I have tetanus antitoxin in the 'fridge but have only used it once and am pretty sure it was not tetanus.
Like the humans in our household; we try to keep everyone as healthy as possible. We were designed with an amazing immune system. When they get a little off it is usually gone in one day.
Like happybleats says, "...unlike chemical treatment...its not one shot and wait...its every few minutes in crisis up to once a week for wormer...its a lot of work...."
I am not loyal to any specific school of medicine and use whatever seems most appropriate at the time.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
I vaccinate my kids as babies, then a booster their first year and then nothing after that.

I vaccinate for CDT, pneumonia and rabies.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Holy Cow Fir Meadows has fast shipping! I ordered everything Friday and received it today from WASHINGTON. Nothing arrives that fast where I'm at. I am seriously impressed with the mail service today.

The book she wrote should have a chapter about the disease and the vaccines. If anyone is interested I will post a summary here :).

I am thinking about only vaccinating the ones I plan on selling next year but it is a tough decision to make. I may change my mind when it comes time.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
So, how does one build the immune system up enough to battle something like tetanus, particularly in youngsters? And is ANY immune system strong enough to defeat something like rabies?

I've gone back and forth with the vaccination thing, but then decided that some diseases like tetanus and rabies aren't worth the risk. I used to vaccinate everyone against rabies when we lived in western NY state because we saw rabid animals on a regular basis, and I once found a rabid raccoon in the barn with my horses and goat. It looked like it had spent the night there and I felt very fortunate that no one was bitten. I now have LGD's and they as well as my horses get rabies vaccinations. The goats, being a lot less likely to encounter wild animals now that we have dogs, no longer get rabies shots.

Everyone, including myself, gets tetanus shots. That's one disease I never want to mess with and it lives everywhere on a farm. With animals it can settle in before you ever see the wound. Once symptoms are detected, there's not usually much you can do except watch them die.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I don't vaccinate for rabies in my goats, but no they cannot build up natural immunity to rabies. Mortality rate is near 100%

I wouldn't mess with tetanus either and they are more likely to encounter it.

·
Registered
30,655 Posts
I have a donkey who contracted tetanus at 1 months old...he fully recovered (lots of hard work)..hes now a yearling geld...not something i want to deal with any time soon.
I felt i dealt with more rumen issues when i did cd&T. I do keep antitoxin on hand..to build immune system...you build a healthy rumen...add garlic and choice herbs...

·
Fair-Haven
4,735 Posts
For those of you who vaccinate for pneumonia, I know you give an intial dose, and then one 2-4 weeks later. Is this safe for pregnant goats, or would you wait until after they kid? Our weather has been so darn wet, and then terrribly cold (down to 20) and then back up to 60. I'm considering doing it this year.
Everyones thoughts here appreciated.

·
Boer Goat Breeder
5,084 Posts
I am not gonna lie I know I should at least for CD&T but I am scared of needles so Noone gets anything unless it's an emergency. But I sweat and shake and hold the goat for 5 minutes before I take the cap of the needle and actually give the shot. I have given 3 shots total in 6 years.

·
Registered
30,655 Posts
But I sweat and shake and hold the goat for 5 minutes before I take the cap of the needle and actually give the shot. I have given 3 shots total in 6 years.
Used to be I wouldn't even open a drawer with needles in it... when we got Goats, my daughter did all shots until she married and moved away..I was forced to do it..Although I do not enjoy giving shots..I remind myself its life saving and just get her done. I can now pull blood without feeling nauseous lol But I do love giving herbs and Eos since they are natural and no needles lol..I will however give medication if my goats life is on the line...sometimes herbs take too long or because Im still learning I may not know what to give or have it on hand....so in an emergency I will do whats needed to save the life...

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
I chose not to vaccinate for years and just keep them healthy. I prefer doing things as naturally as possible, I herbally deworm and I drink the milk raw.

However, one year on here, I saw quite a few cases of tetanus. Then I dealt with a kid that showed signs of entero and had to treat her with antivated charcoal (worked, very thankful!). I set up a thread on here asking members if anyone who had vaccinated had experienced tetanus in their herd. The only ones who had experienced tetanus in their herd were those who did not vaccinate for it, or used what they believed was a bad vaccine.

I know many breeders who choose not to, and that is their choice. I think there is yucky stuff in vaccines I would rather not have to use, but I made the call to start vaccinating the herd with CD/T because once they get tetanus the chances for them are very slim to recover. I do keep the anti-toxin on hand as well in case of a puncture wound. I would use just the plain tetanus vaccine, but Jill said that they are more likely to have an adverse reaction to that one.

There are pros and cons either way. Our goats live on property with horses, and the previous owners of our land buried their trash, so for me the peace of mind of vaccinating is worth it.

Best of luck! If you choose not to vaccinate, some of the tips from when I didn't are: Keep any wounds very clean (especially castrated or banded boys!), check the yards for nails or glass, pay close attention that no one is limping from a hidden hoof wound, and have the anti-toxin on hand in case of an acute situation.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The following information is thanks to Kat from Fir Meadows:

She suggests treating Tetanus with Lobelia Inflata tincture as her first choice. Ladies Slipper tincture may also be used and 5 drops of clary sage EO + 3 drops of Ginger added to Olive Oil.

For enterotoxemia she suggests her own herb blend clostrideaze, naturally but also gives a list of herbs that are good for diarrhea, kidney, and blood support that can be used.
For diarrhea- Slippery elm, goldenseal, cloves, garlic, cinnamon, myrrh, rosemary, wormwood. blackberry leaf or root, raspberry leaf, strawberry leaf,thyme,and sometimes cayenne
Kidney Support- Uva ursi, dandelion, and nettle
Blood Support- Wheat grass, red clover, chaparral, burdock root.
Double or Triple Dose initially followed by regular doses every 15 minutes for the first hour and regular doses hourly after that.
For associated bloating she drenches with peppermint tea and rubs 5 drops + olive oil on the tummy (2-3 drops for younger animals)

Grapefruit Juice for electrolytes and a blanket to help regulate body temp.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
where I live there is no salt. my sheep and goats require three times more salt than any where in the USA. so I give a shot of Bocee sp? to my new born lambs I give covaction 8 and to my kids they get cdt. but that is all they get the rest of there life's.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts