Vaccine Abscesses

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by rssgnl27, Jul 30, 2017.

1. rssgnl27

rssgnl27 Member

May 8, 2012
    Upstate New York
    I always give my goats the BarVac CD-T vaccine Sub-Q near the shoulder. And I've always had trouble with some of the goats getting abscesses from the vaccine. Probably like 50% of them form some sort of hard lump or a full-on abscess that needs to be drained and cleaned. I want to vaccinate my goats, but this is getting ridiculous. Not only is this happening to my does but it's happening to kids too... twice because you have to give two doses. so one lump on one side and another on the other side. I have to tell my customers that it's from the CD-T vaccine, that its not a CL lump (I'd be skeptical if I was buying a goat). I've tried giving it straight from the fridge, tried letting it sit out for awhile to get warmer, rubbing the site, using alcohol to prep the site, NOT using alcohol to prep the site. And I haven't found any distinguishing reason as to why this is happening. I'm thinking about switching brands.
    Any tips?

2. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    We do better when we rub and rub and rub after we give the vaccine. I find that the first shots tend to give cysts because babies have so little "extra" skin. I just gave the follow up boosters with the same vaccine and did lots of rubbing. The kids have no cysts at all from the second shots.

rssgnl27 likes this.
  3. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Active Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    We give IM instead of sub q

4. rssgnl27

rssgnl27 Member

May 8, 2012
    Upstate New York
    I'd rather give IM, I'd think that that would have less abscessing

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I do not recommend giving it IM.

6. IHEARTGOATS

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    Why?
    That came from our vet's recommendation. He has bred goats for 25 years.
    That's where we got the Togg's.

7. rssgnl27

rssgnl27 Member

May 8, 2012
    Upstate New York
    I heard not to give IM that's why I ever didnit

8. IHEARTGOATS

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    The label says to give Sub Q, but our vet told us it is fine to give IM to avoid lumps.
    That's how he gives to his goats and that's how we've given to ours for the last 3 years.

9. Madgoat

Madgoat Well-Known Member

That happened to 2 of my babies. It's a hard lump right behind their shoulder in the shot area. Will it dissolve itself? Is it dangerous? I am not going to cut my baby open just so "someone" doesn't think they have whatever disease it is that is lumpy. My goats aren't purebred/registered and I've voiced my opinion about showing, so that's a non factor. If it's detrimental to their health, then I'd reevaluate my decision to let it be.

10. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    When I had a kid with a vaccine abscess, I waited until it ruptured and then got as much of the pus out as I could. If the abscess is small enough, it won't rupture.

toth boer goats likes this.
  11. rssgnl27

rssgnl27 Member

May 8, 2012
    Upstate New York

I wouldn't cut it open unless necessary. I believe the CD-T vaccine is beneficial but the abscesses can't be comfortable or normal for them. That's more what I'm concerned about...

12. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    I quit giving CDT. Didn't really seem worth the bother with the way I manage my herd - there really aren't conditions under which they could develop entero, and I give tetanus antitoxin at disbudding.

13. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Buy the Goat CD/T from Tractor Supply!!!

We used the Bar Vac CD/T in the spring and every single kid got an abscess or lump! Absolutely frustrating!
    So for the 2nd round, I tried the Goat CD/T from TSC, and didn't have a single knot!
    We just gave some late spring babies their CD/T a couple of weeks ago and again, no knot.

toth boer goats likes this.
  14. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    So, what one is better? The one grown on raw chicken embryos , ground raw monkey liver, or perhaps the one grown in raw bovine serum?
    Which animal's viruses do you want your goats to carry and change?
    You do know that if you have to vaccinate every year, the vaccine doesn't work? That's not the way the immune system works at all.

In a world of ordinary people a superman is not a king.
    He cannot rule the world.
    He is simply alone...
    Dean Koontz

Madgoat likes this.
  15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Vaccine abscesses are nothing to worry about. Unless they get huge, that would indicate dirty needle or bacteria got in there with injection.
    If big, it can be lanced, otherwise it usually will stay semi small, then pop on it's own or may just remain a little hard spot. A lot of breeders give it in the armpit area as that is a hidden place, plus no lymp node system there. Most people know from seeing a knot in that area it is just from a vaccine shot.

The vaccine should be given SQ with goats, their metabolism is fast.
    I have to disagree with not giving CD&T annually, again a goats metabolism is faster and so it is best to do it as described on the label.

Say for any reason the IM shot is given, it can indeed create an abscess as well, but instead of just a SQ surface abscess, it will be deep in the muscle tissue abscess, which is not a good thing.
    If you have meat producing animals, it will destroy the meat depending on where the shot is given.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  16. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Does the TSC goat vaccine also cover entero toxemia? If so, I'll switch as soon as this bottle is empty.

I just show shaved one of our kids and the abscess from her shot 4 weeks ago is seriously ugly looking. (As I said, no abscess for the shot she just got.) I've never had one rupture....I just assumed the body absorbed them after a while.

rssgnl27 likes this.
  17. rssgnl27

rssgnl27 Member

May 8, 2012
    Upstate New York
    This is the information I've gathered from this post:
    -Switch brands (will try)
    -Don't give CD-T at all (not an option for me)
    -Just give tetanus (a possibility...)
    -Rub the area after the vaccine (tried that)

I still want to vaccinate with CD-T, just my personal preference. Has anybody who's vaccinated with CD-T NEVER had an abscess, or a very rare occurrence of it? I'd like to know what you do

18. wifeof1

wifeof1 Active Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Boulevard, CA
    I have had abcesses. And then not. From the same bottle. For my situation, it was procedure. 1st year a friend did it. No abcess. 2nd year, nursing student, abcesses on all. 3rd year, me, half and half. 4th year, me, one out of 20.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Goat Forum mobile app

groovyoldlady likes this.
  19. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

I have not had any abscesses since I switched to the TSC Goat CD/T.

wifeof1 and groovyoldlady like this.