The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am a new goat owner in Texas. I am not sure what vaccines and medications I need to be giving my goats and how often. I am a cattle rancher and have a pretty set routine for vaccinating calves and medicating cows. I am wondering if there is a similar routine for kids and my older nannies and billy.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Zane McMahon

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
The most popular vaccine to give is CD&T. It's given at weening age (2.5-3months old) then boostered in 21 days..then annually after that. Moms are normally given boosters about 30 days prior to kidding so kids get some antibodies of protection. Other vaccines, such as rabies, would be per your area...and a vet would be best to advise.

There is a list of medications you should have on hand in case an emergency arises up top in a pinned thread.

Best wishes

·
Registered
146 Posts
I give CD&T to my does 30 days prior to kidding and to kids at 4-6 weeks and then a booster three to four weeks later then one booster annually to everyone after that (as happybleats already said) the dosage is 2cc regardless of age and weight.
I deworm as needed (based on FAMACHA) or according to a schedule for herbal dewormers (how often you need to deworm depends on your situation). I copper bolus every 3-6 months and give selenium and vitamin E gel every month (again depending on where you live and your situation).
Here is the list of medications to have on hand (big thanks to toth boer goats for putting it together). Medicine cabinet 2020
You probably don’t need to go out and buy all of them at once, I find I tend to accumulate them over time as the need arises, but definitely keep a good probiotic on hand - that is my go to for any time a goat is “off”

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,169 Posts
Hey! Glad you are here! Everyone is a little different in raising their herds. Some use all natural items, and others use over the counter. What was said before is basically what I do also. I use Corrid at 4 weeks, 8 weeks & 3 months old, to kill the cocci that can cause diarrhea and stunt growth. There is a lot of great.info on this sight. Alot of years of experience and knowledge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts