The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4DE020B4-968D-47C9-A9EA-01B39F8ADE05.jpeg
Hello lovies!

I have a lady close to my house who raises goats and is very knowledgeable. She has a bottle of the Merck Covexin 8-way vaccine and said she would vaccinate my 2 Nigerian Dwarf bottle babies for me tomorrow. They will be 4 weeks, one tomorrow and one on Wednesday. I was going to take them to her tomorrow for vaccines and also disbudding, since she does her goats as well. My question is: Is the 8-way ok for them at their age (or just in general) and is it ok to disbud them the same day as getting vaccines, or is that too much for one day? I don't want to overwhelm them, as Goldie has had issues already and Skunky had some stomach issues a couple of days ago (constipation) but both are doing great now. Eating well, not too much (4oz - 4x a day) with ProBios. They are 4 and 5 lbs. Yesterday both were on Electrolytes only and Milk of Magnesia because I didn't realize I was overfeeding and Skunky was miserable the night before from a bad belly ache. Both are pooping now and back on their regularly scheduled feedings. Sorry, I know this is a lot. Thank you in advance for your advice! ❤ BTW, Goldie's little ears aren't flipped up on the ends anymore as of yesterday! Lol I guess she is growing up!

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I'm completely unfamiliar with that vaccine. I do understand and respect your concern about overwhelming kids who have already had a rough time due to "Pilot Error" so to speak.

Unfortunately, the disbudding can not be put off. I would consider putting off the vaccination, since I don't know about that particular one.

Perhaps someone who knows better will chime in, but I would do the dehorning and the CD&T and leave the other one for later?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
An unfamiliar Merck vaccine,
Merck is just the company. They make a lot of medications. But you are right. I'm not familiar with the Coexin 8 combination. I don't vaccinate for much. Pneumonia always. CD&T sometimes.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I don't vaccinate very much. Do DC&T at about 4 weeks and the booster about 8 weeks. Sometimes I have had little ones get missed and they are quite a bit older when they get done. Actually - in my mind - disbudding does not leave an open wound so the tetnus part of the vaccine isn't needed right now plus I don't think it is effective until the booster is given anyway. We disbud within the first week and have never done shots before doing it. The disbudding is enough trama for them I think. Everyone does different I guess. An 8 way vaccine seems like more than they would need. Unless you live in an area where there are a lot of problems and a vet you trust recommends it. My vet has never pushed giving anything more than the CD&T. With the Nigerians he suggested I cut the dose of CD&T to 1 cc and the yearly shots for the adults - I do every few years. I always keep tetnus anti-toxin on hand in case of a cut (I think it's the anti-toxin) -the small bottle for if they get a wound and need immediate care. I've had goats and sheep for years and they do well with this kind of care.

Reactions: dzt66

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Merck is just the company. They make a lot of medications. But you are right. I'm not familiar with the Coexin 8 combination. I don't vaccinate for much. Pneumonia always. CD&T sometimes.
I'm aware that Merck is the company. I simply meant an unfamiliar vaccine, nothing to bring the brand into it.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
If you are in a area which the goats are in jeopardy for the other things in the vaccine, I would give it.
I know a breeder who does use it.

I myself just use the CD&T vaccine for my area.
But someday, I may consider it. Covers a lot more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts