The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to order stuff but should I order off of caprine supply or jeffers pet? Is there anything I need to have on hand just in case somebody gets sick? Like antibiotics or anything. Thanks:)

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
LA 200 is a nice anti-biotic to have on hand. I don't vaccinate, but I have the tetanus anti-toxin, and CD anti-toxin on hand, just in case. :)

·
Registered
899 Posts
There is a thread stickied at the top of this board called The TGS Medicine Cabinet that has a lot of helpful info about what people like to keep on hand for different things. I found it very helpful.:)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks:) but whats the difference between tetanus anit-toxin and CD anti-toxin?

·
11,090 Posts
CD anti-toxin is in case of rumen toxicity, such as if they gorge on grain and their rumen is shutting down or in trouble. Tetanus anti-toxin is a treatment for tetanus. :)

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
ifyou canonly get a few things at a time...an emergency medication list should include
CD antitoxin
Tetanus Antitoxin
Antibiotic ( I prefer Tylan 200 or Nuflor for Upper Resp. Infection)
Penicillin
Banamine (RX)
Fortified B complex (has more Thiamine in it)
Probiotics
also good to grab is
Milk of Magnesia
Pepto
Red Cell

if you have an emergency, some of this will be very hard to find in a pinch..havingit on hand can save a goats life or at the very least, discomfort..

Dont forget needles,syringes and a drenching syringe

Vaccinations:
The only thing we vaccinate for here is CD&T

·
8,197 Posts
I'm wanting to order stuff but should I order off of caprine supply or jeffers pet? Is there anything I need to have on hand just in case somebody gets sick? Like antibiotics or anything. Thanks:)
Both are good places to order- compare the prices, sometimes Jeffers runs sales, Fridays I think.

Another good place is PBS livestock supply. (www.pbsanimalhealth.com)
I've spent lots of money at all 3 places! All deliver on time, are helpful and the medications arrive in good order.

Hoegger Supply Co. is also a great place to order stuff from! I am sure there are many more good places, but those are my main ones, depending on what I need, the current pricing and if they offer free shipping.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Yes..Selenium Vit E gel is good to have..:D Copper bolus too

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know this thread is late but I have some questions.
1.) does the milk of magnesia come in a blue bottle? And can I get it off of Jeffers?
2.) can I use red cell pellets from tractor supply and how much do you give? Thanks:)

·
11,090 Posts
MOM usually comes in a blue bottle, yes. :)

Forgot to add, one thing I love to have on hand is GI Soother, herbal from Fir Meadow. I've treated coccidia and other tummy upset cases with it. It's nice to have on hand in emmergency, especially if you're dealing with chemical resistant cocci, or you need to treat right away but aren't sure what's causing the issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts