The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Im asking for your help/advice

Like many people I didn't know what all to ask for when I got my goats. So I need your helping on a few things. 1 I know I need to test for CL and CAE, what Else do I need to test for.

2. all but 1 goat has come a variety of back grounds being there born there fine and 'MAYBE" a worming. My lamacha Doe was shown her 1st year after that she has not and I have no records on her either, on NONE of them, So with that in mind when I answering this question.

I am going at this as if they have never had anything in there life, all but the Lamcha this is true on. I want to breed all but 1 ( and she "may" be bred, need to get ya'll a pic of her pooch) So What all vaccinations do I need to give them, there are so many on the stores like Jeffers and etc. Should I wait to give them till they are prego or before they are? What kind of schedule do I give them to them eg. If I start them before there prego then they get preggo a few weeks after. also If they need boosters what kind of schedule would I need? And obviously the amounts.

Thanks so much for your patients with me, this is even my 2nd attempt of trying to post this....lol

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also which ones are the most important to give 1st, how many can I give at 1 time, and how young do I start the kids on them? Do they really need a rabies vacc?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
testing at waddl for cae,cl, and johnes. they call it a biosecurity scan it is $22 each.
vaccinate with cdt and rabies every year.
start the babies at about 6 weeks on vaccinations for cdt, 3 months for rabies (yes they really need it) revaccinate your pregnant does for cdt about a month before kidding.
cherck the eyelids before worming, if pale or white get a fecal done so you know what you are fighting. include cocci in that test. if pale start on red blood cells while you wait for test results.
if you live in a copper or selenium deficient area add that to your list. both cause rough hair coats. selenium deficiency causes white muscle disease in kids.
jeffers has most of the supplies you will need. you can get cdt at tractor supply.

·
Super Moderator
58,938 Posts
I only vaccinate with CDT. You can get it at TSC. If they have never had it before, you give 2cc and then follow up with a booster shot of 2cc 3 weeks after the first shot. After that it is 2cc annually.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. Now I have a question for you Enchantedgoats, Why? What is the backing for this stance? I ask this because of experience's I have had. 1st let me start off with saying I'm NOT trying to argue or say your wrong or etc. This is just MY thinking on the subject as to why I ask the question. I WANT your input cause I truly believe you never stop learning, even when you see things differently.

So a bit of back ground info, I used to work as a Vet. asst. When I lived in Oklahoma. I have volunteered for wildlife rehabilitation, Fostering for wildlife and other pets and animals (having 6 baby skunks at 1 time :eek: ), low cost vaccination & spay/neuter clinics there and other states.

I have to Say I was blessed in many ways with the 2 Main Vet.s I worked with. They had high morals in MOST areas. But not all the Vets I have worked for was this Moral and upstanding in the community. The 2 main ones I worked for was in 1 clinic so we had lots of Convo's about different things and how other vets did things. One of there Favorite topics was about Vaccinations and if people only knew the truth. There are things that are required by law and ones that are not. Surprisingly the ones not required are the Veterinarians Cash cow for the most part. For this convo I am going to mainly point out the Rabies law(s). IN the state of Oklahoma it is law to vaccinate for rabies every year. But other vaccines are not. Oklahoma has a high occurrence's of rabies each year. In Montana and Wyoming Its required by law every 3 yrs. however there is NOT a high occurrence of rabies in these states. NOW just like we have favorite medications or carriers of medications so do vets. However the SAME vaccine that is used in Oklahoma for yearly is the same in Montana/Wyoming every 3 yrs. I understand that one may be inclined to do so for safety sake, Even if its not required by law, and I understand that. However why every year? Also if you look into the account of how many animals we have as pets/livestock that is NOT required by law and How many goats that have been infected with rabies even in a high occurrence area why stress the goat out if it really doesn't need it. Think about this, We as human beings are supposed to get vaccinated by certain ages even some with boosters like with getting CDT the 1st time. But we go YEARS with out needing another one not even annual ones. And some people refuse to give them to there children due to them being linked with other health issues. So why would we keep giving them to animals yearly. That's one of the things they used to talk about all the time.

Warning blunt not so nice description's
That's 1 of three main important issues I learned as a Vet. asst. the other 2 are 2) IF you want Fido cremated and all of him to come back home afterwards then send them to a private pet crematorium, MOST send them in with a mass cremation, so who knows exactly how many different Fido's your getting back home. If you don't want your beloved fifi tossed into the freezer to later be hauled off to either a mass grave or cremation, (this is when Fido is also cremated,your just paying for ashes to be brought back if you want Fido back the vets make $ off him this way too) OR to a rendering plant to end up in pet food/treats and etc. OR scientific research facilities. SO if you don't want any of these things happening to your pet, then dispose of them yourself. 3) Is when having a late pregnancy Abortion done on full blooded litter( or well known favorite mix), verify they disposed of the babies. When preforming these, in a late pregnancy some vets "save" the littler and rear them up to sell them. They do similar with animals the owner wants put down. You may think fluffy needed to be put to rest for xyz, but the vet has the skills and know how, they will at times rescue them fix them and then adopt them out or sell them.

SO that is why I ask why.
Thanks for ALL the help! What other besides CDT Vaccine and Rabies do I need for them?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Ok, i will try to address your question of why. I think you are asking why on rabies vaccinations every year as opposed to every three years. Here it is required every year for animals that are being shown, which we do, or if you are selling raw milk which we also do. Check with your state vet for your requirements for these particular issues. I personnally think this is a good idea if you have alot of wildlife in your area even if you dont show. We have lots of skunks, raccoons and fox. They are the big 3 for rabies. You can get the rabies vaccine from jeffers as well as cdt. We do both at the same time so there is is no more stress than a single shot.
You have to realize that a goats metabolism is way faster than most other domestic animals. It's a personal choice if your state doesnt require it every year.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Enchanted, That is exactly why I asked WHY. Thank you for your explanation!:D;) I haven't gotten into showing, not saying I wont, just haven't ever seen one to know what its like to even think about if I want to or not. I also live in a state in which the only way to sell Raw milk is threw goat shares and I really don't like that Idea at this moment in time. I am however thinking of selling it as pet food. With that we are not required by law as to what to give them either. So that answer explains a lot. One thing I would like to clarify is you said you give your rabies with your cdt , do you MIX them together then give them the shot, or ? My one milking doe I have I went to give her just a shot of "b" ended up having to take 3 adult people to wrestle her to the ground and hold her still so I could give it to her. NEVER have I ever had a reaction from and animal like this over a shot. :eek: So she is going to be one that I give only what I have to and the more I can mix together the better for less injections. Thank you very much!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So Cdt and rabies is the only thing I need to Vaccinate for? I don't need to worry about black leg or pneumonia or anything else?
Just just making sure!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts