The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Caseous D-T vaccine safe or will it work for goats? I have one goat that I think is CL positive and want to keep the others from getting it. If need be I could get rid of the CL pos Dow but would prefer not to. Help please, I need some suggestions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She got an abscess on her shoulder That has been drained and treated with Abt twice but it keeps coming back in same place and she has now lost the hair in that area.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Have you had the pus tested?
If it keeps reoccurring, it sounds like it's not getting fully cleaned out. Just a little infected pus in CL can keep it coming back or if it's not a CL abscess, you need to get out the little splinter or whatever that's causing the abscess.

Do you have her separated from the herd? The Vaccine makes no guarantees that it will stop your other goats from getting CL but that it lessens the chances. Of course, if you don't test the others before you vaccinate them, you won't know if they already have it or not.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After draining the abcsess it was flushed with iodine 10% times three but it recently came back and this time has lost hair.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As for a vet coming out, we'll I have found that I have learned more from here and books than my vet knows, but on the other hand I can't test for it at home because I do not have the equipment but do work in a facility that does lab tests for humans.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I understand about the vets.
I have no idea if you can collect the pus and send that out anywhere yourself. I know you can collect blood and send that out to WADDL. If I couldn't get the pus tested, this is what I would do. If my doe was negative and I was missing a sticker in an abscess, I'd know she could live with the others but if she was positive for CL, I'd want her to live separately.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
If you do not know how to manage a CL positive animal, then I would suggest you get rid of it. Amy has a great CL thread with detailed information. You need to read through that and then decide if you are willing to risk keeping a CL positive animal. Its a lot of work and doing just some of the suggested things and not all, is the same as doing nothing. There is no cure and no 100% effective vaccine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts