The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a schedule for vaccines?

Do most people typically vaccinate goats? And for what?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The lady we first got goats from says she does not typically vaccinate. I got some CD&T, never used it and gave it to someone that bought goats from us. Usually we just wait and see if something happens and we call our vet and that seems to work for us. I'm thinking of getting 'bigger' into goats and wondering if that's something we should be doing.

What is Johnsons and CAE tested? How is that done?

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,044 Posts
Some people vaccinate, others don't. It's a personal decision. ;) I'd recommend talking to your vet and seeing what vaccines they recommend. For my area I decided to give the CD&T vaccine because enterotoxemia (that's the CD part) and tetanus (that's the T part) are common in my area. Tetanus is also a very difficult disease to treat, and it is present in the soil so I feel more comfortable with vaccinating.

If you are not going to vaccinate, you should really have CD and Tetanus Antitoxin on hand and give those any time your goats are susceptible to enterotoxemia or tetanus. For example if one of you goats got into say, a lot of grain, you'd want to administer CD antitoxin because it that circumstance they would be highly susceptible to it. Same with tetanus, if a goat got a cut you'd want to give a dose of tetanus antitoxin.

I'm not super clear on the vaccination schedule for CD&T, so wait for someone more knowledgeable to chime in on that if you'd like to know more.

Rabies, CL, and pneumonia are also things people vaccinate for, but I don't.

I think you mean Johnes (pronounced YO-neez) not Johnsons. ;) Johnes and CAE are tested for by sending blood to a lab. If you don't know, Johnes and CAE are highly infectious goat diseases that would be a real problem in your herd, so people like to test for them.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
We give our does their CD&T shots on a yearly basis. :) We do our pregnant does 30 days before kidding. This is the schedule we follow. :) There is also a Rabies vaccination as @MellonFriend said above. We don't do the Rabies vaccine either due to the milk withdrawal period. Our NJ 4-H state fair requires that a Rabies vaccination be given (we don't attend), but I haven't ever seen any other shows require it. :)

Goat Vaccination Program - Goats (extension.org)

We do test our goats annually or biannually for CAE, CL, Johnes and Brucelliosis.

CAE has no known treatment and can be devastating for your herd. If a doe has it, it can be passed to her kid through her milk. If a doe has CAE, her milk and colostrum must be heat treated to kill the virus).

Here is some more information on CL. Most say there is no treatment although somebody here on TGS actually found one! I've heard it was not an easy task to get rid of and it will kill your reputation as a breeder!

https://alifeofheritage.com/farm-li...,an abscess that has ruptured on another goat.)

All of these tests are done via blood test. :) We use this lab. WADDL Home (wsu.edu)

Hope this helps and Welcome to The Goat Spot!

:groupwelcome:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like that CD&T is the most commonly used vaccine - and pretty well the only commonly used vaccine. Also thanks for info on the lab, I had no idea where to even start on that.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
We do CDT's yearly and pneumonia.

Pneumonia is common if you have wild weather swings (Like Texas) it can run through your herd like greased lightening and silent pneumonia can kill overnight, it's that quick. I use the Once PMH-IN vaccine you squirt it in their nostrils and it can be used on very young animals too. It's cheap insurance to keep your herd healthy.
You can get it here:
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/once-pmh-in

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see the pneumonia vaccine where you posted the link says cow dosage, do you use the same dosage for goats?

·
Super Moderator
82,215 Posts
I give a CD&T vaccine to kids at 2 months old.
Then booster 21 to 28 days later.

For my annual booster shots, I give my pregnant does at one month prior to kidding their booster shots and also the bucks to keep everything on track.

·
Registered
29,942 Posts
We dont vaccinate here. Stopped many years ago. I actually found to have more rumen issues when we did cd&t.. We didn't make that decision lightly and make it our goal to keep immune systems up and Going with good food minerals and herbs. Also, as mentioned. Keeping cd antitoxin and Tetanus antitoxin on hand is important. We did give Once PMz pneumonia vaccine a few years after a issue here with several getting sick. It worked great and was easy on them. 1 cc up each nostril was all it took.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
I see the pneumonia vaccine where you posted the link says cow dosage, do you use the same dosage for goats?
I do 1cc in each nostril. But the dose is 2 cc's Per goats yes.

I also keep CD and Tetnus anti toxins on hand for emergencies. You never know when a goats going to get a deep wound or get into something they shouldn't. For about $20 a year it's also cheap insurance.

·
Registered
840 Posts
We vaccinate CDT yearly after the initial series. In fall we vaccinate with Inforce 3 INH and Once PMH INH. I’m planning on adding rabies to our vaccination plan. Right now I’m torn on CL. The problem is if you vaccinate then they test positive. However, if we start showing then I’d be worried about exposure and want the protection of the vaccine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts